Husqvarna Chainsaw nightmare

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron allen

Reaction score
Hey Guys , I have a Husqvarna 440 NOT 440E . Saw runs fine BUT is very hard to pull on starter..It catches / slips / jerks ,hard to pull cord. looked online , no help...have replaced whole starter assembly thinking the Pully/hub (1 pc) was problem...no luck. saw is few yrs old but only 40hrs or less runtime. This thing is killing my hand...took plug out , pulls smooth ,but reinstall and back to square on...HELP me Someone. thanks

Is it somehow out of time, ignition timing too advanced? Would be unusual, given that Husq flywheels have the cast thing-a-ma-jig that fits into crankshaft. But that's the first guess that occurs to me for your condition.

Does it have a decompression valve that you aren't aware of? There will be a little button somewhere around the cylinder area. You push it and it will lower the compression until the saw fires and pops the valve back out. You can push it back in and pull it again. It will start and pop the valve back out.

Does it have a decompression valve that you aren't aware of? There will be a little button somewhere around the cylinder area. You push it and it will lower the compression until the saw fires and pops the valve back out. You can push it back in and pull it again. It will start and pop the valve back out.

A Decomp on a 40cc saw? Lol.

I don't run Husqvarnas so I don't know how big a 440 is. I have a Stihl 461 with a decompression valve so I thought maybe they were similar size.
With Husqvarna the last 2 numbers in the model # is Nominally the cc displacement, I forget the exact displacement of the 440, but it would be around 40cc

Doug

Back