Husqvarna Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking through the plug hole at the cylinder wall, it doesn't look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking through the plug hole at the cylinder wall, it doesn't look good.

More times than not a saw that shows some compression has a good chance that the cylinder can be cleaned up. With a bit of luck the piston can be cleaned up too and just a new ring will get you going again.
You won't know 'till you pop the cylinder off so...

More times than not a saw that shows some compression has a good chance that the cylinder can be cleaned up. With a bit of luck the piston can be cleaned up too and just a new ring will get you going again.
You won't know 'till you pop the cylinder off so...

Eventually I will pull the cylinder and see. Supposedly it ran on gas in the carburetor.

I am glad I found this thread finally. Apparently I am not very observantly, but I have a husky 3120 parts saw and need some parts to complete it. It is probably the only 3120 within 200 miles of me and I have been looking for about 2 years to no avail. It would be economically infeasible to use new parts or even Ebay parts. I need several small parts and some major parts, clutch, sprocket and muffler. If anyone has a parts saw that they would sell no matter what condition please let me know and if it has at least some of the parts that I need I will try to buy it. I do not need a piston or cylinder, carb, top cover or rear handle. Any help would be appreciated. Tom

I've just built my second Husky L77. These are vintage saws, 77cc, made in the 70's - early 80's, pro grade, simple and very rugged saws. The L65 is basically the same saw just with a smaller 65cc cylinder. I find these cheap sometimes as parts saws, and rebuild them. I split the cases and start over with new gaskets, bearings, and seals. My next basket job rebuild will be an L65 and a 288 xp. The parts are all in the baskets, just need the time to do it.

L77 basket 1.JPG L77 crankcase.JPG 2 L77.JPG

I've just built my second Husky L77. These are vintage saws, 77cc, made in the 70's - early 80's, pro grade, simple and very rugged saws. The L65 is basically the same saw just with a smaller 65cc cylinder. I find these cheap sometimes as parts saws, and rebuild them. I split the cases and start over with new gaskets, bearings, and seals. My next basket job rebuild will be an L65 and a 288 xp. The parts are all in the baskets, just need the time to do it.

View attachment 564234 View attachment 564235 View attachment 564236
What do you do with them when they are done?

What do you do with them when they are done?

Well, I seem to have a form of mental illness known as CAD, or "chainsaw acquisition disorder". I reckon one of these days some of them will be offered on Ebay or Craigs List. I use the L77's sometimes for milling the smaller logs.

Well, I seem to have a form of mental illness known as CAD, or "chainsaw acquisition disorder". I reckon one of these days some of them will be offered on Ebay or Craigs List. I use the L77's sometimes for milling the smaller logs.
Should you decide to part with a 77 someday please look me up. The only ones I find around here are either needing full rebuilds or are original saws priced too high to risk buying from an unknown seller.

I have parts. Shoot me a pm if your interested.

Should you decide to part with a 77 someday please look me up. The only ones I find around here are either needing full rebuilds or are original saws priced too high to risk buying from an unknown seller.

Will do. The issue with the L77's is pistons and cylinders for them are very hard to find. Not so with the more common L65's. On rare occasions, a brand new L77 shows up on ebay at an astronomical price, and advertised as a rare, collector's saw. But I'm not that kind of collector due to budget restraints.

Will do. The issue with the L77's is pistons and cylinders for them are very hard to find. Not so with the more common L65's. On rare occasions, a brand new L77 shows up on ebay at an astronomical price, and advertised as a rare, collector's saw. But I'm not that kind of collector due to budget restraints.
Iirc Golf is about the only reputable brand of 77 pistons? I looked at doing a conversion a while back.

There's a nice 480, needs recoil on the chainsaw FB site. Tempting!

I just saw a used 480 piston and cylinder on ebay going for $200. As far as I know, this is also the same p & c used in the L77. The entire series of "80" saws, starting with the 180, seem very scarce, they are rarely offered for sale on the bay, and I've also noticed that spare parts are also few and far between. That's not the case with the L65. I've been sawing this afternoon with one of my L65's.

Iirc Golf is about the only reputable brand of 77 pistons? I looked at doing a conversion a while back.

Pistons are a complicated issue for the L series saws. They are stamped in the metal with the letters from A to D, and you need to match the letters stamped on the jugs and pistons as close as possible. A size "A" piston will have a sloppy fit in a "D" cylinder. A well used size C cylinder could take a used size D piston for best fit. I think Husky quit doing this after they stopped with the L series saws. As far as I know, the Golf pistons are on the lower part of the scale as to quality. But I'm using a Golf piston in a Husky 350 and it's worked fine for three years intermittent use so far.

the 162, 266, 268 project I did revealed the same stamping practice

Brian

They are an absolute beast! almost 100 cc saw. What does 100 euro's convert to in dollars? A 298 complete and running for under $200 dollars is a great deal. Figure they are the last of the 2100 class saws and there is a following for those big saws.
100 euros is about the same in Us dollars , she will come tomorrow and I can't wait more ! :lol:

What is the back story behind the painted chain?

What is the back story behind the painted chain?

It's a Forester brand chain that came with a new Forester bar. I like the bar, but the chain that came with it cuts poorly, even when brand new. It cuts a wider kerf at a slower speed, unlike all my other chains. I use Forester chain for cutting stumps down to ground level, and painted it to avoid getting it mixed up with my good chains.

It's a Forester brand chain that came with a new Forester bar. I like the bar, but the chain that came with it cuts poorly, even when brand new. It cuts a wider kerf at a slower speed, unlike all my other chains. I use Forester chain for cutting stumps down to ground level, and painted it to avoid getting it mixed up with my good chains.
Ah makes sense!

My low profile saws use different lengths of chains for the same length of bar. I have considered painting all of the chains for one saw one color and the others a different color so I can quickly know what I am grabbing without having to count whether it is 50 or 52 DL etc.

I would assume that the paint between the rivets never wears away so you can always tell which one you have?

Back