Husqvarna Cordless?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Saw these on the Husqvarna FaceBook page. Anybody know anything about them?

(The photo looks a little funny due to the cordless weed trimmers behind each saw.)

Philbert

attachment.php

I dunno, I had to take a closer second look because I could've sworn at first that this was an ad for Mattel. :msp_w00t:

Another Photo

Found this via an Internet search - not much more information, except the prototype had a 3.0Ah battery, which I am assuming is Lithium-Ion, due to the name.

Philbert

attachment.php

I think they have to put one out to stay in the perceived niche market along w/oregon, sthil etc

I'd like to have one to play around with and I'm sure it'd have it's uses, but not at a "real" saw price (assuming they are in line w/the oregon etc)

i used a cordless last weekend at a friends. it was a 266xp. awesome saw. great power.:laugh:
I was thinking the same thing. All my saws are cordless (well, except for my Homelite electric one). LOL

Must be a Euro market thing? Anybody been on some Euro sites or even Asia and tried to find them? I'm not so good with the translator stuff, heard Google would do it for you or something but I don' t know how to do that.

Bummer. I thought if there was one Husky fan here in the States who would know something, it would be TK (unless he was sworn to secrecy, and is just playing possum). Now we will have to wait until Saw Troll wakes up.

Philbert

LOL wish I could say I knew more about it. I also saw it on the Husky page a couple weeks ago and thought that would be cool, but there's nothing even in the master catalog for it, and no mentions at any meetings.

Different beast

I think they have to put one out to stay in the perceived niche market along w/oregon, sthil etc

I'd like to have one to play around with and I'm sure it'd have it's uses, but not at a "real" saw price (assuming they are in line w/the oregon etc)

The battery saws address different issues than a gas saw, for one, they have a much higher chance of actually starting and running for joe homeowner with occasional use. No fuel mix or anything to mess with, no endless yanking, etc. No fumes, no real loud noise, granny can start and run one easy and actually get something cut. As such the pricing is different.

I was just taking a gander at the high end battery drills..they cost hundreds of dollars, a lot..

some examples of higher end battery powered drills/impact drivers I am looking at on amazon now, dewalt 36 volt LiIon, (the rest vary on volts) 400 bucks, panasonic $390, Milwaukee $380, Makita $400, etc.

Looking at it that way, considering what sort of work a chainsaw has to do, moving a long cutting surface at high speed, compared to a little drill bit or socket, the high end battery saw prices are not out of line at all. It is what it is and you get what you pay for. You can get much cheaper battery saws of course, down under a hundred, the same as the battery drills, they do offer real cheap ones out there, but they simply won't cut the same or have as good a runtime.

Ya it is a niche product but all tools are niche products. We are chain saw enthusiasts here, do maintenance and like working on them etc..most people aren't and don't, but they still need to cut once in awhile.

It is the same with trimmers, edgers, blowers, mowers, pole saws, etc that folks buy, not for going out with a landscaping truck and using hard day after day, but for just getting the job done around the house. How many of those gasser devices fail to start and run reliably for those folks-the other 99% who aren't two stroke enthusiasts and work on them and do all the due diligence required- through the year, because of the inherent problems with crap gas and fuel line rot and gunked carbs and fouled plugs and dirty air filters and plugged screens in the mufflers and all that rot that happens to gassers? Millions...millions, and millions of small gasser evices *don't* work reliably for people, so that is what the new battery tech is addressing, simple as that, eliminating the "don't start, don't work, why this is a POS" syndrome.

Heck, if small gas devices did reliably work all the time, they wouldn't sell too many new ones every year. You can see mountains out back at most any small engine shop of don't work small gas devices that still look almost new, and are...but aren't reliable *enough* without being a fair enthusiast and mechanic.

Look at all the saw scores people get here that just need fuel lines and so on. Joe HO don't mess with that, doesn't want to, and never will, for the most part. He just wants to grab a tool and go to work, not stop what he is doing mid stride and have to take it to the shop or attempt to diagnose what is wrong and then go look for parts. And as soon as he drops something off at the small engine shop..instant sticker shock for the most part, cheap to expensive device, that doesn't matter, instant repair bill sticker shock.

so what is expensive or not is relative. It is all a niche, you get what you pay for and what to fool around with. Me, I can't see where people want to drop a thousand bucks on some big screen TV, but they do, or a video game system or some ridiculous toy like a jetski.

Expensive is just relative to the wallet and interest and what hassle you want to remove or what you want to happen with that money.

A *lot* of people out there are plain jane sick and tired of small engine devices that will not start or run reliably, no matter how much they spend on them. Electric motors are light years more reliable and maintenance free compared to gas devices, but that cord limitation is a serious one once you have to go outside and move more than a hundred feet from a socket. real serious..that's why battery stuff is getting so popular, and why battery drills were such a hit with workers who needed them. I certainly remember the bad old days of trying to climb around a structure and drag a freeking cord with me to run a drill and saw..ta heck with that noise, once battery drills hit I jumped on that tech. With both feet. Eliminating that stupid cord was worth the extra piddlyazz twenty cents a *day* it cost me over a corded drill.

The saws will catch up, along with the edgers and trimmers and mowers and you name it, we are just now hitting the "pretty decent" levels with battery powered tools.

And all these big companies know this, that is why they are all starting to put them out, and I am glad to see a tophandle version now available, and another name brand company start to offer battery sqws. More choices/more competition, the faster the tech will get better/faster/cheaper.. I know right now this second I would love to have a full range of good qulity battery devices, just for the Gf here around the house. She likes doing that sort of stuff, the little yard work stuff (I do all the mass quantities, but she likes the "trim" work) but she has the debble of a time yank starting things, and it doesn't matter which things, all of them, no matter how well they start for *me*.

You should have seen her face light up when she first tried the battery saw...

I am hoping eventually Oregon will have a whole range of devices that run from the same big battery.

I honestly don't think these things would be worth a pinch of sh*t. Reason i say this is i use Hitachi cordless equipment in my workshop, i got a pack that consisted of a 3 speed hammer drill, 4.5 inch angle grinder, reciprocating saw, sds concrete drill, circular saw and a 1/2 inch drive rattle gun. They have 3.0Ah 18volt lithium ion batteries, form fully charged the drill will run for days, its the best thing since sliced bread, the rattle gun maybe 3 hours, the sds drill might do an hour and a half, the reciprocating saw would be lucky to do an hour and the grinder would do 20 minutes tops with a cutting wheel and i have never used the circular saw so i cant say. I would guess that a chainsaw would consume more energy than the angle grinder so you would be looking at a 10 to 15 minute loaded run time regardless of what it says on the brochure.

Now sure, your petrol saw runs out of petrol too, but it doesn't take you an hour to refill it.

I honestly don't think these things would be worth a pinch of sh*t. . . . you would be looking at a 10 to 15 minute loaded run time regardless of what it says on the brochure.QUOTE]

Haven't run these saws so I can't comment on run time. But check out zogger's posts (starting around post #33) in this thread on the battery-powered Oregon saw:

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/179262-3.htm

Battery powered saws don't compete directly with 2-cycle saws, as much as they fill a different niche. I don't know about these Husqvarnas, but with the STIHL and the Oregon, you can swap out batteries and recharge one while working with another, just like with cordless drills, etc. Except that these newer saws are running 37-40volt batteries.

Philbert

A Little More Info

Tried doing a Google search on these new Husqvarna saws again. Found some info on German and Czech sites, then I kept getting sent back to this thread!

Anyway, this info is translated from one of the European sites, titled 'Husqvana New in 2012".
T536 LiXP (top-handled version), Standard handle is the 536 LiXP - apparently, there is a typo in not distinguishing them in this chart. Apparently, the 436 is a lighter duty cordless saw?

Similar Li-Ion batteries as the STIHL and Oregon battery powered saws.

Philbert

attachment.php

Well you don't want to make a ton of noise chopping up the body in your apartment or cutting up that ugly sofa.

i used a cordless last weekend at a friends. it was a 266xp. awesome saw. great power.:laugh:

I was thinking the same thing. All my saws are cordless (well, except for my Homelite electric one). LOL

My saws are also all cordless, but not electric. :hmm3grin2orange:

I can imagine some work that they can make sence for, mostly indoors - but none of it is out in the woods, due to the short endurance of the battery......

My guess is that they just felt hat they had to offer something in that category, because other brands is doing it! :msp_unsure:

Back