Husqvarna depth gauge tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW51

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just acquired the real simple metal one with notches at each end and a hole where the raker pokes through.

The hardwood side seems fine. Put the back of one tooth in the notch. Back of gauge rests on the next tooth behind it. Raker pokes through the hole.

Is the softwood side supposed to be used differently? Only way I can get the raker to poke through is setting the notch on the back of a driver link.

It’s all kind of academic for me. I’m not ever gonna cut softwood enough to use that side. Just curious.

The little instructional pics on the back of package were covered up with labels and barcodes.

The Soft / Hard "ends" provide different raker depths depending if you are cutting hard or soft wood. They also provide progressive lowering of the rakers as the tooth gets sharpened down.

I am going to pick up a set of these for my different chain sizes. Unfortunately I'll have to order them in as the few Husky dealers don't carry them.

Be careful... The raker gauges work fine. However, the tooth filing gauge appears to be optimized to work ONLY with Husky brand chain. I tried one of these kits on regular Stihl 3/8" or similar Oregon for that matter. It finally went back to Lowes. Yea, I could probably modify it to work on Stihl but that is not the point.

Other than fitting on the chain the other issue is that the file height is indexed from the top of the tie straps up instead of top of the tooth down like the familiar Stihl file guide.

Also, Husky PIXEL chain is non-standard and specific to Husky. I think it is low-profile cutters but .325 pitch.

Here is the thread I started on the Husky Filing Guide:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/3-8-husky-sharpening-filing-guide-doesnt-fit.334313/

Back