Husqvarna L77 Let the Adventures Begin.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Der Teufel der lacht nur dazu! HA HA HA HA HA!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have this old vintage L77 for quite some time now but never used it.
I lent it to a friend a year and a half ago. He said it cut great but the chain wouldnt stop going at idle.

Today I cleaned it out and got it running again very easily.

105_0486.JPG

105_0487.JPG

105_0488.JPG

105_0489.JPG

105_0490.JPG

105_0492.JPG

105_0493.JPG105_0494.JPG105_0495.JPG105_0496.JPG

Quite dirty as you can see but I got most of it off. Evidently there is an oil leak and it appears as though they guy I loaned it to was running motor oil instead of bar oil :mad:. The chain is in poor shape as you can see.
When I started it up I found that the chain was not just spinning at idle but that the saw was not idling at all. Instead it was constantly at about 1/2 throttle until I gave it gas then it almost died then came back and went full throttle pretty quick.
I'm hoping it's just an incorrectly tuned carb, will have another look tomorrow.

Waste motor oil in the bar oil reservoir is a huge pet peeve of mine. I don't mind all the cobbled repairs but cleaning a saw thta has had that crap sprayed all over the pto side of the saw really ticks me off. If you are too poor to buy bar oil, maybe you shouldn't own a chainsaw.

On a more pleasant note... I am really liking those Husky 77s. I have seen a couple pop up recently but too much $$$, but someday I will find one in my budget. They seem to be built like a tank!

I picked this one up recently at a yard sale. Came with another 65 that I have also cleaned up and got running. I didn't have to do much beyond cleaning up some plumbing and the carb. It has great compression and pulled well in a couple of test rounds. First impression is that it is stout. I didn't put it on a scale but it is noticeably lighter than some other 77cc offerings from the same era. Pretty smooth for limited AV. I am thinking it might be one of the earlier runs of the 77. Tag is missing from the case by the bar pad and it appears to have a different setup for the fuel line to tank connection.

It was nice and dirty too. Looking forward to banging off a few rounds on the next outing.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

So I took it out again today with the intention of getting the carb dialed in.
However the pull cord broke on the pull that started it lol.
I had a fiddle at the screws and found the high jet was almost the whole way in. I didnt spend long at it though because I wouldnt be able to restart the saw without a pull cord lol.

105_0501.JPG

Latest posts

Back