Husqvarna problem...again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plating looked smooth, piston looked fairly smooth also. Thought compression might come up if I got it started and broken in but I couldn't get it to start after many tries. Tried priming it also, no luck so I finally just tore it down. While I was out in the garage I went ahead and tore down an 038 which is my next victim...
What tester are you using, does it have a Schrader valve in the tip, how long is the hose?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Last stock 350 I put together had 89 lbs. comp, it started rite up, ran fine, comp is in high 130s now I think, I'll check tomorrow, I have that one out rite now.

A.J., I just sold a Stihl 026 PRO that I priced exactly the same as a Husky 350 that ran really well (both do). The buyer opted for the Stihl, even though the Husky had an 18" bar vs. the Stihl's 16" bar. He thought both had good balance but he decided to take the Stihl because it was a German name and made in the USA. I let him cut wood with it for awhile and he got used to it and paid cash on the spot.

Frankly, I think I would have taken the Husky 350 instead. It has the same weight with just as much power and a longer bar. But, WTH do I know? So, A.J., get that 350 running again. You can do it. I did it twice.

What tester are you using, does it have a Schrader valve in the tip, how long is the hose?

The tester is one I've used for years, hose is fairly short and does have the valve. Compression test is accurate, the saw is what needs fixed. I'll see how it does when I get the new p/c kit and let you know. All the other piston port saws that I've tested @ 90 psi wouldn't run either...

A.J., I just sold a Stihl 026 PRO that I priced exactly the same as a Husky 350 that ran really well (both do). The buyer opted for the Stihl, even though the Husky had an 18" bar vs. the Stihl's 16" bar. He thought both had good balance but he decided to take the Stihl because it was a German name and made in the USA. I let him cut wood with it for awhile and he got used to it and paid cash on the spot.

Frankly, I think I would have taken the Husky 350 instead. It has the same weight with just as much power and a longer bar. But, WTH do I know? So, A.J., get that 350 running again. You can do it. I did it twice.
He made a wise choice. The 260 is a full on pro saw with a mag case, the 350 is a clamshell homeowner/ranch saw. Both are alot of fun, great saws...but priced the same id take the 260 100% of the time.

The tester is one I've used for years, hose is fairly short and does have the valve. Compression test is accurate, the saw is what needs fixed. I'll see how it does when I get the new p/c kit and let you know. All the other piston port saws that I've tested @ 90 psi wouldn't run either...
Is your decomp sealing off?

I got the 350 running okay, it's the 460 that I had to tear down again. I'm not too crazy about how the crankcase seals work on the 460, tried gluing them down because they wouldn't stay in place. I'll put a little Motoseal on both sides of them just to be sure...As far as Stihl vs. Husky I'd much rather work on the Stihl and I would have opted for the 026 pro also. Actually I own a 026 pro and it seems okay but doesn't eat up the wood nearly as well as a 353 or 346 Husky, not sure about the 350 though...

A.J. said. "Actually I own an 026 pro and it seems okay but doesn't eat up the wood nearly as well as a 353 or 346 Husky, not sure about the 350 though..."
---------------------------
That's why I now use a 353 as my "go-to" firewood saw. I also upgraded the top end of that 350 to the larger cylinder. I have a sneaky suspicion that had he actually tried the 350, his choice might have changed. You can lead a horse to water...

A.J. said. "Actually I own an 026 pro and it seems okay but doesn't eat up the wood nearly as well as a 353 or 346 Husky, not sure about the 350 though..."
---------------------------
That's why I now use a 353 as my "go-to" firewood saw. I also upgraded the top end of that 350 to the larger cylinder. I have a sneaky suspicion that had he actually tried the 350, his choice might have changed. You can lead a horse to water...
I used to own a 350, quite a while ago. I can't remember how it ran it was so long ago. I do remember reading that you used a 353 and liked it. I like that the 353 has a compression relief valve, something my 346 lacks...

Last stock 350 I put together had 89 lbs. comp, it started rite up, ran fine, comp is in high 130s now I think, I'll check tomorrow, I have that one out rite now.
I checked it today, comp is only 118 lbs. It runs very well but not nearly as fast as the ported ones
I have two stock with the 44m/m cyl., they both have higher comp than that.

Most of the piston ported engines need a bit more than 90 to start. Like I've said before, I own a Lawn Boy that hasn't had 90 psi for a long time and it still starts. Lawn Boy and older 2 strokes are reed valve engines though...

I went ahead and installed a new piston and cylinder in the 460, has a lot more compression and after I got it put back together it started immediately. Kinda scared me, not used to them starting so easily and running so well. I ran it for a while, adjusted it just a mite, now I'll give it back to it's owner. I guess the old cylinder and piston just had a bit too much clearance...

Back