Husqvarna Special 42

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I stopped by a local pawn shop today and came across 2 husqvarna chainsaws.One is a husqvarna special 42 that is missing the chain brake, handguard and bar chain.Its a sweet running saw and couldn't pass it up for $100 out the door even though Ive always been a Stihl guy.Does anyone know where I can get the chain brake and handguard for this saw?Also what bar will mount on it and length should I use?It's got a .325 pitch sprocket.Id really like to get this saw fixed up and back to its former glory.Its a screaming little saw and will fire on the first pull even when cold.

The other saw is a Husqvarna 372xp with 24 inch bar/chain.They had 275 on it and let me have it for $225.I didn't have the extra money on me so I put it on layaway.I have been wanting to get a bigger saw than my 025 stihl and couldnt pass the 372 up for that price.They also had a 346xp for $250 that I may go back and get.It would make a good companion to the 372xp I think.

20170210_173129.jpg 20170210_173122.jpg

I stopped by a local pawn shop today and came across 2 husqvarna chainsaws.One is a husqvarna special 42 that is missing the chain brake, handguard and bar chain.Its a sweet running saw and couldn't pass it up for $100 out the door even though Ive always been a Stihl guy.Does anyone know where I can get the chain brake and handguard for this saw?Also what bar will mount on it and length should I use?It's got a .325 pitch sprocket.Id really like to get this saw fixed up and back to its former glory.Its a screaming little saw and will fire on the first pull even when cold.

The other saw is a Husqvarna 372xp with 24 inch bar/chain.They had 275 on it and let me have it for $225.I didn't have the extra money on me so I put it on layaway.I have been wanting to get a bigger saw than my 025 stihl and couldnt pass the 372 up for that price.They also had a 346xp for $250 that I may go back and get.It would make a good companion to the 372xp I think.

View attachment 557441 View attachment 557440

Congrats and welcome to the forum. You have started out way better than most.

Looks like you are now a Husqvarna convert. Sell your 025, you won't even think about running it again once you run the 42special.

I agree with above poster, recommending 14-16 inch bar. Small mount Husqvarna. Oregon number K095. Go to Stihl dealer and get some RS chains for it, you won't regret it.

Clutch covers for 42, 242xp, and 246xp all fit. I know someone on here has a good used one they would probably sell. Ask in parts wanted in the classifieds.

You might even find a broken cover with all the good parts to install on your cover.

Here is a link to a new one: http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...sembly-for-42-242-246-Chainsaws-501796708.axd

Great snag on both the 42sp and 372xp!!

Is the 372xp the pre-x-torq?

Is the 346xp a new edition with the primer bulb and silver clutch cover?

Looks like you found some rare deals all at one shop, super lucky!

Congrats and welcome to the forum. You have started out way better than most.

Looks like you are now a Husqvarna convert. Sell your 025, you won't even think about running it again once you run the 42special.

I agree with above poster, recommending 14-16 inch bar. Small mount Husqvarna. Oregon number K095. Go to Stihl dealer and get some RS chains for it, you won't regret it.

Clutch covers for 42, 242xp, and 246xp all fit. I know someone on here has a good used one they would probably sell. Ask in parts wanted in the classifieds.

You might even find a broken cover with all the good parts to install on your cover.

Here is a link to a new one: http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...sembly-for-42-242-246-Chainsaws-501796708.axd

Great snag on both the 42sp and 372xp!!

Is the 372xp the pre-x-torq?

Is the 346xp a new edition with the primer bulb and silver clutch cover?

Looks like you found some rare deals all at one shop, super lucky!

You might say I am now a husky convert but doubt I will sell my Stihls.Ill probably throw the 025 in the toolbox on my truck so I always have a saw with me.

The 372 is a pre xtorq saw.I started the saw and it has really good compression and runs strong as well.It burped on the first pull with the choke on and deco valve pushed in.The plastics have faded on it but that doesn't matter much to me.I plan on using it to knock down some bigger trees I have and as a milling saw until I come across a good deal on an 066/ms660 or a 394/395.The 346xp they have is old edition I guess.It doesn't have a primer bulb and has an orange side cover.It runs very strong and starts easy.I seriously thinking about going back to get it.

The standard 42 is open port, the 42 SP is closed, per the IPL's and the one my dad has.

That's a new one on me, I'd be curious to see that IPL. I have 3 42sp's and they're all open port.
You've had the cylinder off of your dad's and actually seen the closed transfers? Maybe specific to Canadian models?
@Tor R

That's a new one on me, I'd be curious to see that IPL. I have 3 42sp's and they're all open port.
You've had the cylinder off of your dad's and actually seen the closed transfers? Maybe specific to Canadian models?
@Tor R
I belive you are spot on Bill.
According Huskies IPL's 42 special came in 94, but those IpL's are not accurace, nor are the 242's.
I belive 42 special came in 92, Simon and me have each our version, his didnt have decomp mine had, both is quad open port jug.
Later Husky quit using Gilardoni pistons and got KS to make them, they also changed timings a bit and KS piston is 34 mm tall while Gilardoni is 35 mm tall.

Husky is kinda famous doing weird things, there has to be a missing 242 IPL because I own a 242 XPG year 91 week 5, old style start cover, nevertheless a full XP p&c, maybe Husky used those old 242 kits on the first year of 42 special.

View attachment 557441 View attachment 557440
42 special year 93 week 38?
I see it has decomp valve, pull the top cover and check if the two cylinder bolts are the long style (the two close to the carb)

I had dad's apart probably 10 years back and did crank seals in it for him. His is definitely closed port with no decomp. 92 would be about right for when he bought it.
I am finding lots of conflicting info online, may well have been a running change.

I had dad's apart probably 10 years back and did crank seals in it for him. His is definitely closed port with no decomp. 92 would be about right for when he bought it.
I am finding lots of conflicting info online, may well have been a running change.
I dont doubt in what you say, but you dont find any info about it in their IPL, but how precise is their IPL anyway? There is two different oil pumps but only one part number there is two different 42 piston but only one part number and so on....
Most of those 42 special is quad open port jug made by Gilardoni, if your dad still own the 42 spec it would be cool if you gave us s/n and what brand the jug is.

I'll see if he can take a look. I'm 2000 miles away and he is 76 this year. I remember years back circa about 02 when we started to move away from microfiche stuff got very confusing(worked at a Jred dealer back then)

Yes the 2 jug bolts closest to the carb are longer than the two front ones.
Yes, I would think it was that type jug, orginal one.
Your piston is probleby 35 mm tall, there is a nice thing with those top ends, you can use Meteor 242 piston.
Good luck with your 42 special, except 242 you dont find any better 40 cc saw.

I have a 42 Special, a 42, 242xp and two 246s. This is a great series of saws. Light and fast cutting, and very easy to work on.

I would not consider selling any of them.

The 42 Special is essentially a 242, same closed port jug, it's a screamer for sure, great limbing saw. It's the standard Husky small mount. I personally would run something in the 14-16" range, others may say different.

I run a 13" on my 242xp and it flat out rips. I run 16" bars on the others.

Well I got a 16" bar and full chisel chain for on the special today.Got it put on and made a few cuts and tweaked the carb a little bit.I gotta say this little saw will flat out cut circles around my 025.I still need to get the parts for chain brake and get it working but for what I have in it so far I am very happy with it.

@Tor R

Open port was the norm on both the 42 and the 42 Special - but what is on the saws many years later may of course vary.

The possibility that some may have left the factory with a closed port 242xp top end can't be totally written off though, if the open port top ends were in short supply at some point.

Latest posts

Back