Husqvarna's in Lowe's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant50

Reaction score
New to forum. I was in a local Lowe's store in NJ and saw a Husky display there were setting up, no saws were in yet. They did have price tags and models they may?? be carrying is 340,350,55 R ,and 359. Just wondering what kind of support Lowe's can offer. The phrase "department store saws" may have to change some....?

Looking to buy my first real saw for firewood (3 cords year) and other misc. stuff. I have a good local dealer who carry's Husky's and Stihl's. I 'm kinda between the MS 290 and the Rancher 55. The dealer is'nt really for one brand or the other, he say's their both good saws. The Husky comes with a 3/8 .50 chain and the Stihl with .325 .063 chain, what's the advantages/dis. Thanks Guys

Anthony

BUY FROM THE DEALER! Thats the guy who is gonna end up repairing it in the long run. A little secret for ya, Dealers hate repiaring things from big box stores, no matter what brand. It's always in the back of their minds that you didn't buy it from them. But besides that, a dealer can show you how to properly use the saw your purchasing.

Ant50, Look at the specs on the Stihl 026(ms260) and compare to the 029(ms290), power and displacement are close so why is the 029 over $150.00 cheaper, they left something out...........quality! The biterness of poor quality lasts longer than the sweetness of a good price.

029 is a good saw for the money. It should be plenty durable for your use. While it is not Stihl most quality saw it should still do the trick for you. And for the $$$ has a lot of power. Either way buy it from your local guy.

if your looking at that 300 dollar range, buy the husky 55. good saw delivered for about 325, the 346 xp for abot 350. Look around, Dolmars, Jonsered's, Solos. Don't buy the 290.

It's not what Stihl left out of the MS290. It's what they left in; about 3 lbs. of dead weight!!

The MS290 weights almost the same as a 044 yet the 044 has 50% more power!! Stay away from this "dog"!!

Originally posted by sedanman
Ant50, Look at the specs on the Stihl 026(ms260) and compare to the 029(ms290), power and displacement are close so why is the 029 over $150.00 cheaper, they left something out...........quality! The biterness of poor quality lasts longer than the sweetness of a good price.

after looking the lowes deal over it dont make much sense.
u pay the same price as dealers charge. u gotta take it to lowes
to arrange for repairs etc.they already had a homeowner saw that wasnt bad in the poulan pro,and the huskies their selling are homeowner. just dont make sense.later

mac and homelite both went that way didn't they. dog, ya gotta wonder.

"It IS as BAD as you think, and they ARE out to get you."

If your dealer has Husky, he may carry Jonsered. The 2149 is worth a close look, and is a little cheaper than the 026 or 346 Husky. Never owned one, but I've heard the Husky 55 is a good saw for the money. I agree. Stay away from the 029, and definitely stay away from Lowes.

If you're cutting three cords a year, a 50cc saw like the 2149 or 026 would do nicely. IMHO

I still use a Jonsered 520SP that my father gave me. (roughly the same as a 2149) It's old enough to sit at the bar with me, and performs perfectly. :)

I agree the 029/MS290 is a Dog .I replaced mine with a 036 Sold the 290 on Ebay.

I agree wit a coulple of the others when they say to buy from the dealer. He is the guy to help you later. I had 2 029's, (the 029 is a bit heavy for the horse power) an 036 pro now an ms460. The 029 is o.k., but the 036 will cut circles around it. Remember with Stihl....any saw with an odd (o25, 029) number is a "homeowners" saw. My dealer says they are built to run about 800 hours. A saw with an even (026, 036) number is a "pro" saw, and built for 2,000 hours. The difference is in the quality of the engine, cylinder, piston, bearings, etc... If I were you, at 3 cords/year, I would go for the Ms260! (026) 3.5 horsepower, 10 1/2 pounds. You can get it in the standard or pro model. The pro has the same as the standard except it also has a dirt compensating carbuerator, compression release and elasto start handle. Prices are around $399. for the standard and $439. for the pro. VERY good saw, I am sure you would not regret it.

Back