Husqvarnas leaking bar oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodslasher

Make McCulloch Great Again!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've noticed my dad's 445 and my 346xp OE leak bar oil like crazy when they sit for any amount of time. Is this normal or is some seal bad? My dad says he thinks the 445's done it since it was new but I'd like to remedy that if it's possible. The 445 hasn't been abused but I think the 346 had a tree fall on it before I got it if that makes a difference.

There was a fix for some Husqvarnas and Jonsereds where oil was leaking from a joint, where 2 oil hoses fit together (check an IPL).

Disassemble; super clean with solvents; then glue together with some type of non-permanent, Permatex type stuff.

Remove your bar, etc., and try to see if you can tell where it is leaking from.

Philbert

What I found on three saws was the metal plate just under the clutch is not true or deformed. Replace the plate or braze the plate where it comes in contact with the hose. It certainly is annoying. I changed the cap and other remedies, but the plate was the issue. Thanks.

previous poster on to it as oil can leek where the pump is sandwiched between the suction hose and the outlet hose. I just fixed my 346 as it was driving me nuts. I think its mostly where the pickup line fits into the case and where the pump saddles into the hose body...various sealers can be used biggest part of the job is all the bar oil cleaning...

good luck

I used some threebond 1211 at the hose interfaces on my 455 and it almost completely fixed it.

I find if you don't remove and re tighten the cap before storage it won't leak. Doesn't seem like it would matter but the small pressure increase from pushing the cap out causes oil to be pushed out? Run it and put it away. I'm also guessing by running it and then putting it away the hot to cold temp change also puts a slight vacuum in the tank. My 455 was suceptible to this.

My 550 and 555 don't seem to leak no matter what...

+1 on what others have mentioned.

My 350 leaked where the pickup tube slides over the oiler. A dab of hondabond fixed it. I would occaisionally set my case behind me for some fresh saw chips to absorb the oil before that.

My 346 leaks like a sieve. I'm pretty sure I've traced it to the exterior oil "pipe". Actually a rubber, or synthetic rubber hose-like thing that the oil comes out from. Anyway, my theory is that this gets brittle with age, and doesn't seal properly. I have a new one to put on, but just haven't done it yet. You see, Indiana is a tropical rain forest now, so its too wet to get out to cut, so I haven't been motivated to change it. I think if you didn't want to replace it, you could just put some gasket maker on it to stop the leak.

Seems like every saw I've owned leaked bar oil.
I used to say, 'There are saws that leak oil, and there are saws that have never been filled with oil."

Exception has been some of my battery powered saws. I think that, because they use a separate, molded oil tank, and don't have the heating from an internal combustion engine, there are some different design options. They still drip some residual oil off the bar and chain, but I don't get tank drains.

Philbert

I found that most leaks coming from the bar side are due to a poor connection with the hose and a barbed nipple connection. On a poulan I fixed this was the case, it was the hose coming out from the reservoir connection to a barbed 90. This was so it could transition to the oil pump line without kinking. I pulled both hoses and cleaned them dry of oil, and the barbed 90. But black silicon RTV on both ends of the barb and re installed. Wait a couple hours for it to dry and the. There was no more leak :)

Back