Husqy 395 Big Bore, Good Compression and Low Power.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottonwood Feller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out? I have a Husqy 394 converted to 395 with a big bore kit. The saw has probably 10 hrs on it. Idles great, revs up without hesitation, sounds great and spark screen is clean. Problem is it bogs down in a cut like the rakers are too low but the rakers have never been touched. It's way underpowered. We have even tuned it with a tach the highest rpm is 11,200 or so.

Maybe the rakers are too high. How many times have you sharpened the chain ? Try a brand new chain.

What is good compression? Did you take a reading with a compression gauge? Sorry to say most of the big bore kits are garbage, they have poor port timing, huge squish clearance, poor plating, out of tolerance casting and machining, poor port chamfering and the list goes on. They often lack power, run poorly and don't last long. Not sure why people still buy this kits, the OEM kit can be had for $180 or less.

Get an actual compression reading and go from there.[emoji111]

What is good compression? Did you take a reading with a compression gauge? Sorry to say most of the big bore kits are garbage, they have poor port timing, huge squish clearance, poor plating, out of tolerance casting and machining, poor port chamfering and the list goes on. They often lack power, run poorly and don't last long. Not sure why people still buy this kits, the OEM kit can be had for $180 or less.

I have not taken a compression reading, if u dont use the compression relief valve it about jerks your shoulder out.

Did you pressure test the motor? I’d also go over all the screws to make sure there all tight.

Do to the bigger kit did you readjust the carb? High speed bog under load could be starving for fuel. Fuel filter, gas hose kinked?

Get a good compression reading with the throttle held wide open. Report back with the results. A leak down test would also be a good idea. Without PSI numbers, it's just mental masturbation and won't do any good.

Did you pressure test the motor? I’d also go over all the screws to make sure there all tight.

Do to the bigger kit did you readjust the carb? High speed bog under load could be starving for fuel. Fuel filter, gas hose kinked?
Rebuilt and re-adjusted the carburetor, new fuel filter. Line isn't kinked.

I

I will have to swing by a friends shop and use his gauge.

Back