Huztl FarmerTec 070 Build Thread with upgrade info and completed saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im kinda on the fence on the topic. Am i understanding correctly this saws is complete and not a parts kit. Or is it like the 660 and it has to be assembled from ground up?

Both ways. The discussion is meant for builders. But obviously if you own one that was pre built fine.

I see the complete is about 350 bones, i imagine theyll hamer you for another 100 to ship that monster

No hostility going on here just the facts are the facts. I have no problem of somebody having fun but for some of us these fake saws are just all wrong. I always here people buy these because they can't afford the real thing. In my opinion you will loose money buying a knockoff vs OEM.

I can't really find issue with that. And I believe that thinking of them as OEM replacements is a bad idea. Stihl is certainly at least one of the few quality benchmark manufacturers... and these Chinese things are most certainly not that. They are really just other Chinese saws. But, I have maybe thirty or so saws out there in the shop and they've all been an enjoyable project at one time or another. They just sit there... waiting for me to die, I guess. I use just a few of them... a ported 026, a 372, and miller or two. A couple more weeks in the shed with a decent bottle of scotch seems like a good reason for me try a few of these silly kits out. Think old guy doing "ship in a bottle." I'm still going to trade my red light for another 066... that's sounds like another great project.

For the record, I still drop a lot of coin at my Stihl dealer.. but I really do understand the anxiety they might be having. In the 90's, my coffee shops got run out of business by Starbucks... I didn't appreciate that at all, as you can imagine. It was years before I went into one of those places... but they are incredibly competitive and they are part of life now, and all that gnashing and railing against them made me look like an idiot... which I don't need any help with. I go in there once in a while when the choices are slim. The future is here, and my dissenting vote didn't count for ****. I just make it a point to slop some half and half around... you know, passive aggressive-like.

There are knock off Chinese watches that tell the time just as well as their fashionable originals. Some people are Ok with having a watch that looks expensive to tell the time, even if it isn't manufactured, assembled and sold from Switzerland. To me, a watch is meant to tell time and if it looks good on my wrist and does that for a decent price then maybe you're happy. But maybe you aren't if you know that it is a copy of the real (expensive) version. Seems those people are more interested in the quality of the item or the status, or caché that goes along with it.

Same with saws- some people just want a large displacement saw that cuts (mills) big wood for an affordable price- these saws are based on tried and true designs that are difficult to come by these days. Some people will be happy with the result of a copy for what it can do for you- others want the saw as some kind of appreciation for quality, or status of owning something rare or expensive.

At the end of the day, the things we buy are used by some as tools, and others to inflate their ego.

There are knock off Chinese watches that tell the time just as well as their fashionable originals. Some people are Ok with having a watch that looks expensive to tell the time, even if it isn't manufactured, assembled and sold from Switzerland. To me, a watch is meant to tell time and if it looks good on my wrist and does that for a decent price then maybe you're happy. But maybe you aren't if you know that it is a copy of the real (expensive) version. Seems those people are more interested in the quality of the item or the status, or caché that goes along with it.

For women, it's handbags. There are expensive Gucci/Coach/Michael Kors/Luis Vuitton high fashion bags that cost $5k, and knock offs that are $30. They both hold your stuff as you walk around during the day. But for some it's about the exclusivity of owning something expensive and for others it's just about being perceived as fashionable.

Same with saws- some people just want a large displacement saw that cuts (mills) big wood for an affordable price- these saws are based on tried and true designs that are difficult to come by these days. Some people will be happy with the result of a copy for what it can do for you- others want the saw as some kind of appreciation for quality, or status of owning something rare or expensive.

At the end of the day, the things we buy are used by some as tools, and others to inflate their ego.

there is a difference, these saws don't come with stihl on them like fake watches and handbags. in fact look in my sig. i dont pretend they are stihls just copies.

I can't really find issue with that. And I believe that thinking of them as OEM replacements is a bad idea. Stihl is certainly at least one of the few quality benchmark manufacturers... and these Chinese things are most certainly not that. They are really just other Chinese saws. But, I have maybe thirty or so saws out there in the shop and they've all been an enjoyable project at one time or another. They just sit there... waiting for me to die, I guess. I use just a few of them... a ported 026, a 372, and miller or two. A couple more weeks in the shed with a decent bottle of scotch seems like a good reason for me try a few of these silly kits out. Think old guy doing "ship in a bottle." I'm still going to trade my red light for another 066... that's sounds like another great project.

For the record, I still drop a lot of coin at my Stihl dealer.. but I really do understand the anxiety they might be having. In the 90's, my coffee shops got run out of business by Starbucks... I didn't appreciate that at all, as you can imagine. It was years before I went into one of those places... but they are incredibly competitive and they are part of life now, and all that gnashing and railing against them made me look like an idiot... which I don't need any help with. I go in there once in a while when the choices are slim. The future is here, and my dissenting vote didn't count for ****. I just make it a point to slop some half and half around... you know, passive aggressive-like.
What made me post was the op used the words ultimate saw! The fact that the op stating in his first post that the Chinese 090 knockoff is the ultimate saw just couldn't be left alone. I think that was Brad's reasoning for posting as well. I could be way off here and should let Brad speak for himself and he can come and correct me if I'm wrong.

So your saying that Starbucks was coping your local coffee or you saying Starbucks maybe brought something new to the table and people realized it was better? In this case there's nothing better about a clone 090.

So I'm guessing you have a business and use tools to make a living? I use all kinds of tools to make a living and Chinese knockoffs of anything I depend on day in day out would be a really big financial mistake. But that's just me.

To each his own really, if a guy wants a clone saw then by all means. Now if a guy buys a clone 070 and tries to pass it as a genuine that i have a big issue with. Many a guys been trimmed that way. I actually bought a bluemax = redmax clone on super sale. Ran flawlessly but i ended up selling it as i felt uneasy having it. I use quality tools, but id be a liar if i said youd never see me in a harbor freight. No difference i guess.

What made me post was the op used the words ultimate saw! The fact that the op stating in his first post that the Chinese 090 knockoff is the ultimate saw just couldn't be left alone. I think that was Brad's reasoning for posting as well. I could be way off here and should let Brad speak for himself and he can come and correct me if I'm wrong.

Yea, don't take me the wrong way, it's good to point out the issues and the the back and forth is fun... otherwise, why have a forum at all? There's some great rainy Sunday stuff, right here. And just to share my personal opinion (that nobody asked for), I think those arguing against Chinese knockoffs in favor of the true-blue item really do have the moral high ground. But the fact is that I always have to remind myself that taking my own position too seriously is probably not going to help in the long run. Frustrating, but there you have it. I suppose it's ok to go and have a Starbucks coffee since I've clearly lost the fight. No one listened to a frickin' thing I said anyways.

And, I agree, a Chinese saw isn't likely to be the ultimate anything in the very near future. An 090, yes, but a similar Chinese saw that's STAMPED 090, probably not. But it might be pretty good, and it's hard to ignore the displacement factor. Should make for some good reading and maybe (if they don't end up being paperweights) some good old cussing from the shed....

I was looking at bars last night and I think so. Stihl made a special bar for the 090 but not sure what's different is never got that far in my research. I will post it in a minute

This is a cryptic note i made for myself but it's got the data in it on that bar i mentioned.

special just for 090 bar
36'', 0.063 gauge, 0.404 pitch 46RSF104E
Chain loop
3002 000 8052

Latest posts

Back