HUZTL/farmertec clones.... Is there anyone else interested in them??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodlewalker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Recently I made a gruesome mistake, and posted this in the trading Post... My bad. I really didn't intend to make people think I was pushing an agenda to swamp the logging market with aftermarket kit saws.... So I have been asked to move this conversation here.

The point of this thread is to connect with like minded people who don't want or need to spend a ton of money on an OEM saw, but see the clones as a viable option for their situation... I have built many and have actively sold them now for 3 years.... If you are interested in them and either want information regarding building them, or want me to build one for you, I'm here.

THIS THREAD IS NOT INTENDED AS A MEANS TO PUSH SOME FINANCIAL AGENDA, OR TO CRASH THE AMERICAN ECONOMY, OR TO DISCUSS HOW MUCH LOWER QUALITY THEY ARE... EVERYBODY KNOWS WHAT THESE SAWS ARE, SO IF YOU ARE ADAMANTLY AGAINST THEM, THEN ITS REALLY NOT NECESSARY FOR YOU TO CHIME IN.

I simply want people to know that if they are scared to buy one for fear of getting ripped off, or don't want to buy one because you don't know how to build it, I can help you.

I would like to see more parts for old saws such as homelite McCulloch pioneer. OEM is nice but a lot of times impossible to find. Especially pioneer parts. I would like to put together one of those 070 kits but haven’t got around to it

What’s interesting to me is when the aftermarket can supply no longer available parts, especially for out-of-production saws, to keep them going. I appreciate that kind of niche market.

Secondary to that, aftermarket parts that are cheaper than OEM such as plastics and handles, clutches and roller chain catchers, even if they are available from the OEM still, but the cost of OEM makes it prohibitive to keep saws going. I also appreciate that niche market.

What I find head scratching is when the aftermarket replicates an entire saw, soup to nuts, trying to make it look identical to OEM and somehow convince people it is like buying the original. Even the decal on the side is a misspelling of the OEM. Huztl has recently started selling blue versions of their clones of Stihl and Husqvarna saws which does go somewhat towards alleviating the issue. But I just feel funny about buying a completely cloned saw.

I agree. There is no need to pass it off as an original. They make nice home owner saws or a cheep backup saw. Better than a big box store poulan. I would like to see some homelite and pioneer clones

The Husqvarna kits are good. I'm very happy with mine for the price. My 660 kit had several problems to work through but it does run good. They are definitely an option if you can't find an oem to rebuild.
If they would make a 346 or 288 kit for a good price, I think they would sell a ton of them.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The Husqvarna kits are good. I'm very happy with mine for the price. My 660 kit had several problems to work through but it does run good. They are definitely an option if you can't find an oem to rebuild.
If they would make a 346 or 288 kit for a good price, I think they would sell a ton of them.

I keep waiting for the 395...... I like the 372 clone more than any of the others.

I agree. There is no need to pass it off as an original. They make nice home owner saws or a cheep backup saw. Better than a big box store poulan. I would like to see some homelite and pioneer clones
I agree with most of this statement... I have always been up front about what these saws are when I build them.. never once claimed it to be original in any fasion.... But are we now begging for the market to produce other clones!?!?!? Didn't see that coming.

This seems to be going a lot better than my other attempt!! I would love to see build pictures and videos of them in action if anyone has some they would like to share

I keep waiting for the 395...... I like the 372 clone more than any of the others.
Yes. The color is way off from Husqvarna orange on mine, looks like they copied an old faded out one. They recoil cover is much brighter orange and closer to original. It doesn't match the rest of the saw. The squish was quite large so I did not use the base gasket. It does run good though.

I agree with most of this statement... I have always been up front about what these saws are when I build them.. never once claimed it to be original in any fasion.... But are we now begging for the market to produce other clones!?!?!? Didn't see that coming.
well some vintage saws are hard to find (especially in good condition) because collectors tend to horde s them and parts. And they don’t make them anymore. On eBay there is a supposed original 090 for like 1000 bucks. I don’t really want one that bad. It’s would be nice say if you could buy a xl12 or supper ez or a homelite 150 brand new even if they aren’t going to last 50 years like the originals. They could call them homeasy or something

OEM, maybe made in China? Maybe made in the same factory as the Clones? I would bet many of the parts in the OEM saws have Chinese parts. Just because it is an OEM saw doesn't mean you are getting a non china saw. You may only be getting an OEM saw assembled in another country from Chinese parts or part Chinese parts and paying a high price for a name not a quality product. I understand that OEM Manufactures may require certain quality assurance in products they import to build their saws but that don't mean it may be better or require a hell of a lot bigger price. Don't get me wrong I run Husqvarna, Echo, Older Poulan's and have no clones but one has to justify the price of an OEM saw with it's intended use. I am sure many of my newer saws have Chinese parts in them. I will give you an example, I have a Cat 7500 watt Generator spec to Cat specifications but it is made in China, TIME WILL TELL IF IT IS A BETTER GENERATOR or if I could have saved money and bought 2 for the same price without the name CAT.

I like the Chinese saws.
I have the smaller Zenoah clones hopped up a bit, they're quite fast for their size.
With the cheap Chinese saws I can get a fast cutting saw for the price of a slow small saw from a dealer or hardware store. I've never had much luck finding used pro grade saws at decent prices, thats what most prefer and if I could've found one I wouldn't have a Chinese saw.

Yes. The color is way off from Husqvarna orange on mine, looks like they copied an old faded out one. They recoil cover is much brighter orange and closer to original. It doesn't match the rest of the saw. The squish was quite large so I did not use the base gasket. It does run good though.

I typically eliminate the gasket on all of them, but recently the 56mm 660 engine has been so tight that I can't. I would like to find someone willing to modify the engines a bit, do some porting and what not. Just to see what they will tolerate. I built one for a guy and told him he had a lifetime warranty on it, and to run it hard to try and blow it up. He's posted videos of it onto YouTube... So far he hasn't called in the offer!

I typically eliminate the gasket on all of them, but recently the 56mm 660 engine has been so tight that I can't. I would like to find someone willing to modify the engines a bit, do some porting and what not. Just to see what they will tolerate. I built one for a guy and told him he had a lifetime warranty on it, and to run it hard to try and blow it up. He's posted videos of it onto YouTube... So far he hasn't called in the offer!
I have seen some videos of them that have hundreds of hours on them. They can be made into very good reliable saws without OEM parts. I do agree that saws made in Sweden or Germany are better, but these kits are not Chinese junk like some folks on here say. What I find amusing is that the ones calling then Chinese junk are probably sitting in front of their Chinese TV and posting on their Chinese phone just like I'm doing right now.

I have seen some videos of them that have hundreds of hours on them. They can be made into very good reliable saws without OEM parts. I do agree that saws made in Sweden or Germany are better, but these kits are not Chinese junk like some folks on here say. What I find amusing is that the ones calling then Chinese junk are probably sitting in front of their Chinese TV and posting on their Chinese phone just like I'm doing right now.

The thing that irritates me with those guys is they for the most part have no personal experience with them... I mean if they are "junk" to them, you know they have never built one, and probably avoid running them like the plague... But they have such a passionate attitude against them. And damn your opinion for even talking about them.

The thing that irritates me with those guys is they for the most part have no personal experience with them... I mean if they are "junk" to them, you know they have never built one, and probably avoid running them like the plague... But they have such a passionate attitude against them. And damn your opinion for even talking about them.
You are exactly right.

Did you know there is a Stihl plant in qingdao China???
Yes and they ship some, not all, parts to the plant in Virginia for assembly. I bought a Stihl string trimmer and it said exactly that. I also read somewhere that their Zama carbs are made in China.
I have some good tools that were made in China and some that are not so good, but to label it all as Chinese junk is wrong.

I've been looking at the G372 (65CC, Blue) and the G388 (72CC, Blue) in both kit and ready made form and it's getting close to being Ideal for my purpose and price range.

I just need a Stumper/Trash saw I can throw a 20" Hardnose bar on and not worry about AND cheaply rebuild if it goes south due to my abusive ways..

A property cleanup saw if you so want to call it. Maybe even go longer bar for a bit more reach..

Yes and they ship some, not all, parts to the plant in Virginia for assembly. I bought a Stihl string trimmer and it said exactly that. I also read somewhere that their Zama carbs are made in China.
I have some good tools that were made in China and some that are not so good, but to label it all as Chinese junk is wrong.

I'M to be old and not so concerned.

My tools, most are made in the USA, Snap-on, Craftsman, SK. Yes the good ones.

Jap stuff used to be junk, but now it is head and shoulders above Chi-Com CRAP.

GM Chrysler, and now Ford have sold out Americans. But General Electric and most other "American" companies have done this long ago....

American chainsaw companies left before the autos. There was nothing wrong with Homlite or Macs, but the CEOs did not invest in America, they reaped $$$ and sold out America.

Now we have Chi-Com Crap.

God help America if we have a war, as we can't make a button anymore.

Back