Huztl / Farmertec MS 460 Clone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbohn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just finished my Huztl MS 460 kit. I have started it but have not cut with it. I installed the P&C that came in the kit. I've built both the Huztl 440 and 660. The 460 kit is a lot like the 660 kit but smaller.
The Good-
The kit had all the parts and they went together well. The quality was on par with the 660 kits. The kit started after 5 pulls after adjusting the carb screws out 1 1/2 turns.
The Bad-
The air filter housing was cracked and the air filter flange that holds the filter cover on was stripped so the cover stud didn't thread in. After a few email interactions and photos, Huztl has replacements on the way. The other issue was the crank did not slide into the bearing easily even after heating the crankcase halves in the oven at 250f and the crank in the freezer. After getting the case halves together I tried to knock the crank into the center but it wouldn't go. It was close and I was worried about breaking the crank so I left it. I installed the cylinder gasket even though the squish was around 48 mil. I know from past Huztl kits that there is a lot of squish band variation in the cylinders so I was afraid to eliminate the cylinder gasket. The gasket was cardboard not metal like on the 660.
The Ugly-
The cylinder and piston machining looked good but the casting on the intake port had a lot of irregularities. Fortunately all these cleaned up fine with a small file.
I have some downed pines to clean up tomorrow so I will update with photos.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Had chance to cut some with the Huztl 460. After about a half tank of running it rich, I adjusted the carb to 4 stroke out of the cut and clean up in the cut. The saw cuts great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am fixing to order their 660 clone for my saw mill. Tons of great reviews and since I am not making a living with it I figured I can't go wrong. Glad to hear yours is doing good.

20191123_143734.jpg

Couple of tanks through it. My Huztl 440 has a lot more vibration than the 460 kit. The 460 is more like my Huztl 660.
20191123_143746.jpg

I have over 20 tanks in my 440 clone runs great has a muffler mod and I cut the base a bit to increase compression in looking to do a bb kit

They going for $237 shipped now. I'm thinking about getting another and installing a big bore 54mm p&c on it. My Huztl 660 big bore is noticeably stronger than stock. I'd also like to compare a 54mm 460 against a 54mm 660.

Hey Folks,

I'm considering getting one of these saws, trying to decide which model, and it's even neccessary/good idea. I am just cutting firewood for my own house to keep the family warm. Right now I am working through two huge red oak blow downs on a neighbors land. I have an echo 590 (20" bar), husky 545, and little joncutter 25cc top handle. These trees have several limbs in the 3ft diameter range. I haven't really started getting into the bigger stuff yet, and maybe should just throw the 590 at it and see what it can do. Or just leave the big stuff and look for smaller wood.... but with the g444/g372xp, g660 so cheap right now, it is tempting to get something bigger. Not planning on doing any milling, but likely will have more wood this size or bigger in the future. I can adjust carbs and do basic maintenance but am not experienced taking saws apart/building kits or anything like that. So, what do ya'll think? Just roll with the 60cc, or try one of these Huztls? if so, which one? thanks

They going for $237 shipped now. I'm thinking about getting another and installing a big bore 54mm p&c on it. My Huztl 660 big bore is noticeably stronger than stock. I'd also like to compare a 54mm 460 against a 54mm 660.
Nice review of the 460- I'm interested in building one, but haven't yet. I was glad to hear you say it was on par with the 660, I have had nothing but trouble with every 440 I have built. I would love to see that 54mm comparison, thanks for all of the info!

So I took the plunge and ordered the 046 kit. I’ll go into the why after I guess, for anyone who cares. I decided it was a business expense, truly.

The back story:
I have previously rebuilt a factory 046 I got for $10 at a tag sale before I ever needed it or knew what it was other than some Stihl chainsaw. It does have an aftermarket big bore kit ported by yours truly and probably polished too much on the intake. It’s just the most mild port job. Cleaned it all up, intake, exhaust, and the bottoms and tops of the transfers was all I could reach at the time. Opened the intake and exhaust on the way in and out but not in the cylinder. Went right down to the factory bevel in cylinderwall of the intake and exhaust ports, so all the way from the boot to the cylinder wall on the intake side and from the wall out to the muffler on the exhuast side. I cleaned up the ugly bevels a little too but did not mess with port timing. Even now I don’t think I’ll play with timing on the new build unless I alter it by deleting the gasket this time, even then just a correction. What I did works well for me. I use it with a 36” bar to lop stumps low before I grind them. I still run the thing damn fat cause I want it to last but it gets the job done, and that’s all that matters.

The why:
Replacement of a smaller saw and duplicity.

Believe it or not I used to keep around a few of those POS Poulans of this century, not that there’s anything wrong with them for homeowners, and they’ve served me well for small stuff for many years. We’ll now I blew one up and the other two are on loan for months now and maybe not coming back.

The reason it made sense to me:
Rather than get a few more small POS saws of any brand just to have a small bar around and a backup because it’s a POS, or even one other decent little saw, why not another 046! I can keep a 20” or 28” bar on this one which I already have, plus other 046 spare stuff lying around. Ill have two saws, one fairly OEM 046 and a clone saw that is “identical” to the real deal.

Made so much sense the wife didn’t even blink at me.

But it’s a clone saw:
So that’s the thing right? It’s a clone saw and I’m going to use it on the job?? Well we will see what happens, I think it will be just fine. I’m not a logger, I don’t run these all day, ever. Warm em up, hopefully enough, cut something as low as I can, take it home and sharpen the chain.

Guess what else. I ordered some extra 54mm cylinders while I was at it so... If there are no oopsiees I may just have a ported 52mm I want to sell, and maybe even the extra 54mm if I choose not to keep a spare around. Stock port timing, I don’t claim to be capable of anything fancy, and I’m sure that there are people on here that could put my port work to shame. Just cleaning them up making them look like they should inside, to the best of my ability with the tools I have.

That’s my story. Helpfull to anyone or not I don’t know, but I’ll be building one this winter too. Also porting some cylinders, maybe the pistons this time too.

36DF04BA-B6E8-493D-85BB-3AA81AA5A0A8.jpeg It’s going together. Case halfs and crank are together. 54mm cylinder #1 is cleaned up, not sure if I’d call it ported. Im going to get a degree wheel so I can start measuring timing before I go at the other cylinders. The rest I’ll get back to after a brake job and some suspension work on our cars. I’ll post some pics of the cylinder that’s done once the wife is up and I can take some.

Is there a FamerTec 460 build thread??
I have seen some for other saws
A searched turns up this and not much else

Thanks
Bruce

Is there a FamerTec 460 build thread??

Nope, 460 kits are a new thing. Feel free to start a new thread and document yours, but parts are parts, building a 440/460 isn't much different than building a 660. Taking your time and checking everything along the way applies to all of them.

Well here’s the pics of the cylinder for anyone who is interested. What a mess the collar the intake boot would clamp over was, asking for an air leak. The other cylinders I ordered came like this too, prior to this I have not had cylinders come looking so bad in that area. I did the casting lines on piston too but didn’t take photos while I had the wife’s phone.

Attachments

• 098BD49E-1191-4B43-8DC1-C4E796369170.jpeg
    098BD49E-1191-4B43-8DC1-C4E796369170.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • C2A6104C-D74B-4E07-ABCE-DBDA8584A4E3.jpeg
    C2A6104C-D74B-4E07-ABCE-DBDA8584A4E3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • AE7E0680-22ED-42A7-95E7-BF6ED5A559EF.jpeg
    AE7E0680-22ED-42A7-95E7-BF6ED5A559EF.jpeg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 8A027B2D-9E6D-469A-B6FE-98396F8CE1B7.jpeg
    8A027B2D-9E6D-469A-B6FE-98396F8CE1B7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • FA32AD4B-1BAD-4381-9169-D4B7819F1E4F.jpeg
    FA32AD4B-1BAD-4381-9169-D4B7819F1E4F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • FE65F0B5-FC7D-489A-B1A5-E00AD3471623.jpeg
    FE65F0B5-FC7D-489A-B1A5-E00AD3471623.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • C61EF6F8-4279-4AB5-97C6-7831187C2F95.jpeg
    C61EF6F8-4279-4AB5-97C6-7831187C2F95.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • A568CECC-D374-49A5-A9AD-727700647A69.jpeg
    A568CECC-D374-49A5-A9AD-727700647A69.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • ED033216-C9FA-40C3-8C86-9717E9F2D48E.jpeg
    ED033216-C9FA-40C3-8C86-9717E9F2D48E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • 022D10D0-BF36-4CBA-B3E1-FA5DEB0F4424.jpeg
    022D10D0-BF36-4CBA-B3E1-FA5DEB0F4424.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
I wonder what the squish will be, on my 440 it was horrible only making 100 psi I had to sand down the base
Justin. Lemme ask you something please. After removing newish cylinder for any reason do you replace the rings again??

Say like in your very case, you weren’t happy with compression or squish, did you re ring after the mod?

Or is it ok to re use them if you’ve only had a few runs or test fires on it?

Also, while we’re at it do you re hone??
Nikasil coating and all that. I apologize for my 2 stroke ignorance, my knowledge base comes from automotive engines.

Thanks
Bruce

Removing the cylinder and putting it back on "No" Replacing the cylinder, you probably should, however if they are not that old I have and had good success.

Well here’s the pics of the cylinder for anyone who is interested. What a mess the collar the intake boot would clamp over was, asking for an air leak...zip.................

I don't see anything wrong in your two photos with the collar where the rubber intake boot clamps on to!

Are these after you already "fixed" it?

Justin. Lemme ask you something please. After removing newish cylinder for any reason do you replace the rings again??

Say like in your very case, you weren’t happy with compression or squish, did you re ring after the mod?

Or is it ok to re use them if you’ve only had a few runs or test fires on it?

Also, while we’re at it do you re hone??
Nikasil coating and all that. I apologize for my 2 stroke ignorance, my knowledge base comes from automotive engines.

Thanks
Bruce

I don’t replace the rings

no re ringing

and don’t Re hone

if it was a genuine Stihl yes I would but they would also already be making 150psi+ That’s all my opinion I’m sure someone else has something else to say

Thank you guys for your replies. I think I get the picture, real rebuild-yes replace the rings. Open and have a look see after a few runs on a build-probably not necessary to replace rings, and that is what I was asking.

Thanks
Bruce

Are these after you already "fixed" it?

Yes they are. I had already “fixed” it. Went at it with a file and some sandpaper till my hand hurt and called it good. The burrs/deformities were on the back side of the collar closer to the cooling fins. I saw a clear possibility that the rubber could be torn on the inside at this location.

When I get the other ones out of the box I’ll take photos and post here. I also have the 52 that came with the kit and I order two othe 54s. At least two of them looked as horrible. Think I took the two 54s out of the box but not the shrink wrap, and said to myself, we’ll there all just as you know what-cursing probably not allowed here.

I’ll “tag” you if possible on arborist site when I post the photos.

Bruce

I don't see anything wrong in your two photos with the collar where the rubber intake boot clamps on to!

You see anything critically wrong with the other photos?? I know I’m no pro or even novice porter, but I’d welcome any constructive criticism before I start assembly.

Thanks
Bruce

Back