Huztl FarmerTec MS380, MS381, 038 Build Kit Start to Finish

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a helpful tool. If you have never seen or used press fluid it was my first encounter and I was impressed and since it is better and about the same price is everything else I though I would show it to you. Made that AV go right in. Putting in oil hoses through the crankcase can be aggrevating and not with this.

Hot water soak with Dawn soap and water they drop right in and cheap.

I cheated this time... instead of buying the kit, I sourced an already built MS381 from a FarmerTec distributor. Didn't build it myself, but wanted to give it a shot. And hey, if it blows up, I'll be back on here with a teardown and failure analysis. For now, I've got 4 tanks of fuel through it, without too many complaints.

HOWEVER, there are some complaints. Right out of the box the carb was not adjusted well at all. Took care of that and put her in a log. Seems like the clutch slips, anything more than the weight of the saw stops the chain. I am chalking this up to the rings not being seated yet, as it must not be producing full power. Others have said this is an 038 Mag basically, which would keep right up with an 044. Mine does not. The 044 I used to use would cut circles around this thing. I am again assuming it's just not broken in yet and I'm trying to be patient with it.

No matter what I do, the air filter will not seal. Every time I refuel, I remove the air filter and clean the saw dust out of the carb throat. I don't like that, but have read on here that the OEM filter does not fit with the AM air cleaner housing. I sent a message to the seller about this, and they sent me a new air filter and a piston and cylinder kit, since I told them this would murder the engine.

They also fitted the saw with a 24" bar and chain when it was sent to me. Right away it was an issue. Sinks into a cut then stops biting, chain spins but doesn't cut. I have to rock the saw to get a bite again. I told them about it and they sent me a Stihl 20" bar and chain instead of their no name 24". So far so good with the Stihl setup. I guess they made it right, can't complain too much.

Otherwise, this is an easy starting saw, runs well now, and pulls the 20" chain as long as I don't get too aggressive. I installed oversized felling dogs but I can't really use them without stopping the chain. If it doesn't get better in a few more tanks of fuel, I may throw a clutch and drum replacement on it.

I cheated this time... instead of buying the kit, I sourced an already built MS381 from a FarmerTec distributor. Didn't build it myself, but wanted to give it a shot. And hey, if it blows up, I'll be back on here with a teardown and failure analysis. For now, I've got 4 tanks of fuel through it, without too many complaints.

HOWEVER, there are some complaints. Right out of the box the carb was not adjusted well at all. Took care of that and put her in a log. Seems like the clutch slips, anything more than the weight of the saw stops the chain. I am chalking this up to the rings not being seated yet, as it must not be producing full power. Others have said this is an 038 Mag basically, which would keep right up with an 044. Mine does not. The 044 I used to use would cut circles around this thing. I am again assuming it's just not broken in yet and I'm trying to be patient with it.

No matter what I do, the air filter will not seal. Every time I refuel, I remove the air filter and clean the saw dust out of the carb throat. I don't like that, but have read on here that the OEM filter does not fit with the AM air cleaner housing. I sent a message to the seller about this, and they sent me a new air filter and a piston and cylinder kit, since I told them this would murder the engine.

They also fitted the saw with a 24" bar and chain when it was sent to me. Right away it was an issue. Sinks into a cut then stops biting, chain spins but doesn't cut. I have to rock the saw to get a bite again. I told them about it and they sent me a Stihl 20" bar and chain instead of their no name 24". So far so good with the Stihl setup. I guess they made it right, can't complain too much.

Otherwise, this is an easy starting saw, runs well now, and pulls the 20" chain as long as I don't get too aggressive. I installed oversized felling dogs but I can't really use them without stopping the chain. If it doesn't get better in a few more tanks of fuel, I may throw a clutch and drum replacement on it.
FarmerTec does not make a 381. There are lots of Chinese companies that make outdoor power equipment. The others seem to copy the 381 and 070. If it we're a farmertec 380 it would have more power as it should than a 440. 50 vs 52. Of course they have a 52 jug you can upgrade the 440 to. The 380 parts are high quailty, no slipping clutches. The clutch and the brake band were very heavy duty. Even the handle bar. I have seen the "381" and know what you are seeing. You still should have some fun with it. But they share the same fuel handle. I think only one company had the mold and it came out a few millimeters off. So they have a slightly off size air filter and cover. The choke is in that filter and will cause you many headaches. The real ones did too, except they were the right size. I like the choke on the carb, it's too important

Ah! So I was misinformed from the Chinese, they told me this was a FarmerTec saw. I guess it's to be expected out of them to mislead me. Sigh. Thank you for the info, I am still learning about these Chinese companies. I have used many of their parts on my saws and for friend's saws, but this is my first assembled unit I have bought from them.

I have read about others having trouble with the choke, I have not had trouble yet, but yes I expect it in the future. I agree the choke in the carb is the best setup.

Just cut two more tanks of fuel with it, still getting saw dust in the carb. Really don't like that but otherwise it didn't do too bad today.

That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I was going to try to find a skinny oring that I could stick to the filter so it sealed, but I like your idea better. Thank you!

Update, I ran a few more tanks of fuel through this MS381 and it's waking up. I really noticed it the last tankful, I can use the felling dogs now and the chain doesn't stop nearly as easy as it did before. I think the rings are seating now and she's making more power, it's more of what I expected now. And the clutch doesn't seem to slip nearly as much either. I suppose maybe they had an anti corrosion coating on the clutch and drum that might have worn off?

Either way, pretty pleased with this MS381 knock off, I must say.

Do you guys using grease find that it attracts and hold the grit and saw dust eventually contaminating the air filter clogging it up?

Looks like grease would become a problem long term on a air filter. Just thowing that out there. On a 070 090 the filter is thin like cardboard so could be cleaned thoroughly. I guess you do what you must gotta stop it somehow. I am going to take a hard look at mine.

If i remember correctly, the air filter has a channel made into it around the opening for the carb. I wonder if I could cut an O-ring and silicone in into that groove in the air filter? That would (should) make a good seal on the carb flange I would think. I might try that. If not I like the grease idea. Certainly better than ingesting sawdust all day.

I have a collection. Notice the different sizes. There is a rim but it won't hold an oring
92a5739eaae9acca8dbbca12776b88b1.jpg
a565c5df83fc09884f2978152e9e30a2.jpg

I have a collection. Notice the different sizes. There is a rim but it won't hold an oring
92a5739eaae9acca8dbbca12776b88b1.jpg
a565c5df83fc09884f2978152e9e30a2.jpg

You're right. I just pulled my filter and was coming back to report that there is not a groove like I thought I saw before. I have the same filter as the top one in your pic. Just a flat face, no groove. I could have sworn there was a groove. Oh well. Grease is probably my ticket, although there was very little dust actually in the carb throat this time. Somehow it sealed last time I put it on.

Thanks for the images though, I appreciate the info!

Latest posts

Back