Huztl FarmerTec MS380, MS381, 038 Build Kit Start to Finish

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know this guy? He is a total fan. I think he is pulling my leg. He worries about folks that don't have tools. I am crippled, I got tools. Hands are two important tools. Lol

kit info & packing lists @ http://thechainsawkitguy.com
No I don't know who he is he could be just poking fun at you I wouldn't let him get under your skin. But one thing he did forget to you is if you would like to buy some tools from him. Lol. :crazy2::laughing:

No I don't know who he is he could be just poking fun at you I wouldn't let him get under your skin. But one thing he did forget to you is if you would like to buy some tools from him. Lol. :crazy2::laughing:
Your right he could fix me up. Set me on the right path. I need that you know. Bet he has got a bigly tool box. I use buckets. No tops.

kit info & packing lists @ http://thechainsawkitguy.com

Here are some bits and pieces on MS380

1. cylinder changed out saw now runs
2. someone bought a kit and is having similar problems (not cylinder related)
3. he is a logger and 5 pulls, choke off, hold throttle open and continue to pull until it starts, not acceptable.
4. His lid screw is moved from behind handle and he can use carb nuts without having a handle soaked in fuel
5. the ms380 stihl parts are not sold in the US so if the parts are not used on another saw that is used here you can not get parts.
6. the problem now lies 100% with my fuel tank handle
7. i have purchased an additional ms380 handle and a ms381 handle and i am going to compare and fit them to my saw and look for a final fix. meaning if huztl redid the handles folks buying now do nothing besides find a ms380 air filter before purchase, if you have a kit already and its a dud one of these two handles hopefully will fix it + filter.
8. then we just need a oem filter source. in one of the ms380 videos i go over the AM filter differences so you can catch up.
9. i am optimistic

Here are some bits and pieces on MS380

1. cylinder changed out saw now runs
2. someone bought a kit and is having similar problems (not cylinder related)
3. he is a logger and 5 pulls, choke off, hold throttle open and continue to pull until it starts, not acceptable.
4. His lid screw is moved from behind handle and he can use carb nuts without having a handle soaked in fuel
5. the ms380 stihl parts are not sold in the US so if the parts are not used on another saw that is used here you can not get parts.
6. the problem now lies 100% with my fuel tank handle
7. i have purchased an additional ms380 handle and a ms381 handle and i am going to compare and fit them to my saw and look for a final fix. meaning if huztl redid the handles folks buying now do nothing besides find a ms380 air filter before purchase, if you have a kit already and its a dud one of these two handles hopefully will fix it + filter.
8. then we just need a oem filter source. in one of the ms380 videos i go over the AM filter differences so you can catch up.
9. i am optimistic
So there's light at the end of the tunnel after all. And that's a good thing.

So there's light at the end of the tunnel after all. And that's a good thing.
I really have done everything that could be done. Buying several additional handles to see which one works is insane. But I am hopeful. That will be the very last money this saw ever gets of mine. Lol

Watched the handle vid completely. I am confused as to how a handle would affect carb nuts? Where would fuel be coming from? Like you said that is crazy issues there. Will be watching for an update.

67, how was your build other than the coil? Fit and finish?
Walter

Walter, I built one several months ago (kits are reported to have gone down in quality recently, YMMV). Mine went together well and runs well, but I don't have more than a few hours on it by now.

The only challenge I remember was that the choke shutter that is integral within the air filter had a return spring on it that was too weak. The result was when the saw would rev up, the increased volume of air going into the carb would suck the choke shutter closed, causing the saw to begin to die. As the revs came down, the choke shutter return spring would return the choke shutter back to the open position, and the engine would pick up again. The engine was thusly surging and then dropping back.

I'm sure an OEM filter with a better return spring for the choke shutter would have solved the issue, but being as "thrifty" as I am, I had to see if I could modify the unit that came in the kit. I ended up removing a large portion of the BACK of the choke shutter which allowed the choke, when open, to rest just a bit further away from the closed position, thereby allowing more air to pass at full throttle - viola! - no more surging.

Again, I haven't tested this "modification" thoroughly yet, but so far, it seems to work just fine.

i got the two handles. the farmertec 380 and the protools66 381. i have them marked in photo. i was correct in my assumptions so far. unfortunately it leaks at the fuel elbow on the 381 so i will have to deal with that first. the size difference is correct and will pull the side screw into view. i need to measure the carb box but from looking at it i think the box will allow the oem filter to sit with the nuts on the studs and pickup the shutter latch on the control bar correctly. my very old original handle is different from the current famertec handle. they are using the 381 style fuel hose. looking back into the model history they never used that type on the 038 or 380, used a one piece hose. and of course that's not a great way to prevent leaks is have 3 sections versus one piece. You can look down on the carb boxs in the photo and see the sections looks much different + June 4, 2018 40358 PM EDT.jpg length.

to sum it up, the 381 handle should solve the problem, if i have guessed right it will. then by just buying the 381 handle you will not have this bad issue on the current or older kits. and if it works buying the 381 kit will give us a good 72cc kit that works like a good copy. its just too important for the filter shutter to work correctly. it looks like they used some of this and some of that to create that 380 kit. rather than having good copies like the others...overall, 660, 440 etc.

notice handle bar angle, i think an improvement

this is just for fun. can you guess which package held the farmertec handle? the protools66 handle had a much better ride and still contained no cardboard. lol
IMG_20180604_112945.jpg

i got the two handles. the farmertec 380 and the protools66 381. i have them marked in photo. i was correct in my assumptions so far. unfortunately it leaks at the fuel elbow on the 381 so i will have to deal with that first. the size difference is correct and will pull the side screw into view. i need to measure the carb box but from looking at it i think the box will allow the oem filter to sit with the nuts on the studs and pickup the shutter latch on the control bar correctly. my very old original handle is different from the current famertec handle. they are using the 381 style fuel hose. looking back into the model history they never used that type on the 038 or 380, used a one piece hose. and of course that's not a great way to prevent leaks is have 3 sections versus one piece. You can look down on the carb boxs in the photo and see the sections looks much different + View attachment 656020 length.

to sum it up, the 381 handle should solve the problem, if i have guessed right it will. then by just buying the 381 handle you will not have this bad issue on the current or older kits. and if it works buying the 381 kit will give us a good 72cc kit that works like a good copy. its just too important for the filter shutter to work correctly. it looks like they used some of this and some of that to create that 380 kit. rather than having good copies like the others...overall, 660, 440 etc.

notice handle bar angle, i think an improvement
Definitely a difference in length. And Lol. On shipping package go figure.

eBay is gonna be best with these tariffs. Prices are only slightly higher but it saves you headache and heartache

FarmerTec cheap has a big cost factor. I hate getting screwed tying to have fun.

Do you build or are you just thinking about it. If it's your first I would get either the 440, 660 .

chainsaw kits and packing lists
http://thechainsawkitguy.com
http://YouTube.com/c/the1chainsawguy

Just muck with saws (have 660,064/066 hybrid x2,044,038 mag,441c I have rebuilt.
Use huztl for plastics,carbs,clutch cover,etc.
Did fit a hyway P/C to the 441,seemed to have a good finish to it.
Average price for a stihl P/C kit here Down Under is $700-no way thanks.
Cheers,Chris.

43d5aa687946d5bda89dec5f60fda4b9.jpg

Left is Huztl/Farmertec ‘mummy’ package. I’ve received several w/no breakage.

Takes a while with a sharpe utility knife to unwrap.

Latest posts

Back