Hybrid Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are pretty fast cut times. I would think the ported 460 may have the advantage in larger wood.

You do any mods to the 372 yet? I advanced the timing on my 044 #1 (the non ported one) and it woke it up a bit more.

I agree, the 460 might get an edge over the 2171 in larger wood due to the displacement advantage. I think someone should suggest that to Dex in his thread to find out. He'll need a stihl and husky bar in the 24-28" range though, so not sure if he can make that comparison.

I haven't done any mods to it since the GTG, Mike. Just glad it's running smooth. My "other" 372xp has the 74cc XPW top end on it and it was ported by Randy. I labeled it 375XP and I use it more often when I reach for the 70+cc. It's a fun time and I like to feel the difference between it and the stock 71cc 372xp to appreciate all the money invested in the 375XP.

I actually keep going back and forth between selling the stock 372XP and keeping it. It's fine as is, it's a little lighter than the 375XP since it normally wears a 20" (vs a 24"), only has a half wrap, small bucking spikes, and no heated carb bits. I can loan it out when needed with little worry. I'm trying to keep my money invested in it to a minimum, so no mods (yet).

I agree, the 460 might get an edge over the 2171 in larger wood due to the displacement advantage. I think someone should suggest that to Dex in his thread to find out. He'll need a stihl and husky bar in the 24-28" range though, so not sure if he can make that comparison.

I haven't done any mods to it since the GTG, Mike. Just glad it's running smooth. My "other" 372xp has the 74cc XPW top end on it and it was ported by Randy. I labeled it 375XP and I use it more often when I reach for the 70+cc. It's a fun time and I like to feel the difference between it and the stock 71cc 372xp to appreciate all the money invested in the 375XP.

I actually keep going back and forth between selling the stock 372XP and keeping it. It's fine as is, it's a little lighter than the 375XP since it normally wears a 20" (vs a 24"), only has a half wrap, small bucking spikes, and no heated carb bits. I can loan it out when needed with little worry. I'm trying to keep my money invested in it to a minimum, so no mods (yet).

A muff mod & timing advance don't cost ya a dime!

Re-read it.. He is going from a 460 top end to a ported 440 top end. Not de-porting a saw, just changing to a different ported top end.
wow ok cool I was worried that Keith might have gone plum off his rocker :)

Sometimes a fine runnin stock saw works. Last time I cut wood I didn't use a single ported saw out of 3.
this statement makes my heart sad.... I mean maybe if you didn't have a ported saw I could understand.....or if you didn't know anybody who had one..........or if you didn't know they existed....but to not run a ported saw....of your own free will??

that is like choosing to eat waffles without butter and syrup when they are right there on the table all warm and melty, begging to serve you

or taking a trip down the autobahn in a rusty old pinto with beaverboard on the sides and one off color fender instead of firing up the Lamborghini

somebody check Mike for a concussion real quick, I am a little worried about him

Hey, a lot of people say a KS jug is almost like a ported jug. All my longer bar saws are ported, but with a 20" bar, it is stout. As much as I like the ported 362 C, 044 #1 will out cut it, no problem. Good thing the 362 has better AV and is lighter! And you don't want to compete against 044 #1 with a stock 460, trust me!

IMG_001_zpseyqrkuio.jpg

haven't found the other 044 parts in the shipping boxes yet, colors look a lot better in person than in this crappy pic

that is like choosing to eat waffles without butter and syrup when they are right there on the table all warm and melty, begging to serve you

or taking a trip down the autobahn in a rusty old pinto with beaverboard on the sides and one off color fender instead of firing up the Lamborghini

somebody check Mike for a concussion real quick, I am a little worried about him
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::lol::lol::lol:

this statement makes my heart sad.... I mean maybe if you didn't have a ported saw I could understand.....or if you didn't know anybody who had one..........or if you didn't know they existed....but to not run a ported saw....of your own free will??
I have a ported MMWS 372. I often enjoy my dead stock 268. Some saws just work.

Man Hultz is making the 440 plastic kit on Ebay with all plastics/filter/and tank/handle for 75$
yeah they sell them but they don't make them :)
got 50 sets in the shop right now, gotta find time to list a bunch of new stuff
Dave
oh and hybrids rock :)

Back