Hybrid poplar trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janet

Reaction score
I want to plant hybrid poplars at the top of a steep hill in the back of my property (about 30 yards from my house). Is this safe to do without the fear of them falling? I know they tend to fall as they get older.

I don't like hybrid poplars at the best of times. They are typically "improved" to enhance growth rate for fibre production. That's good if you own a pulp mill. Conversely, they mature fast, and begin to decline sooner. It sounds as though you realize this, and are aware the trees will become a hazard sooner than others.

I would recommend birch on dryer sites - they grow slower, but are more than likely native to your area and will be longer lived and more reliable. Some pine species will also suit your needs - check with your locals to see what species will grow well where you are. Sorry, I just can't support hybrid poplars for much other than fibre production.

hybrid poplar

We planted several University Poplars in our back yard many years ago. The best thing I could say about them is they were UUUUUUGLY! They don't really grow up to look like the pictures. I agree, not a good choice.

Back