Hydraulic filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchuck71

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I searched and came up with some solutions, but here it goes.
3 point tractor mounted wood splitter. Prince PTO pump runs the splitter.
Worked fine for the last several years, just regular maintenance.
This morning, hydraulic filter blew off, picked up a new one while in town.
Installed it, turned on PTO to engage the pump,< 1 minute it blew the new filter. Split it at the top.
No changes since I used it last.
Any ideas?

Check the filter head inside to make sure that there is a bypass valve. It may be installed backwards, or it may be missing and moved down stream and stuck in an album like jerry talked about. Make sure the head is pointing in the right direction. I had a rental one that came from the factory with the filter head in the wrong direction so there was no bypass. It had some water in the oil that swelled up the cellulose paper filter element and the pressure drop split the head wide open.

Just took it apart and looked at it.
You're both right,the pressure relief on the inside of the filter adapter housing broke.
Took it out.
It's in the return line,shouldn't be a problem, right?
Thanks for the heads up!!

Moisture in the line freeze up?
Not sure your weather. It's been single digits at night here.

Well if the bypass valve is taken out then it’s not really filtering it’s just going straight through to tank. just buy a whole new filter head
Moisture in the line freeze up?
Not sure your weather. It's been single digits at night here.
It's been warm here. Just used it the day before...things break, especially when I'm using them
Yeah, thought about it and ordered one today. Last one was made out of aluminum,ordered a cast head now.

Latest posts

Back