Hydraulic fluid and cold weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triptester

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
One item I have not seen mentioned here is the affect that temperature has on cycle times . My splitter's cycle times are considerably slower when the temperature drops below 30 degrees and with a 15 gallon reservior it takes quite a while for the fluid to warm up. Does anyone have suggestions on what type of hydraulic fluid will work best at lower temps.

Well.................. I use Dextron III all year long. We'll see how bad this gets bashed on :popcorn:
Andy

Well.................. I use Dextron III all year long. We'll see how bad this gets bashed on :popcorn:
Andy

i won't knock you...It is a hydraulic type fluid and probably works better in the colder temps. It is probably even cheaper.....

Triptester

Lowering the viscosity may help, if your running something too thick?
but raising the reservoir and free up the supply lines may help also.

The hardest thing for a pump to do is scavenge its supply, cold fld just doesnt slide into the back side of the pump as quickly, slightly starving the pump, slowing the cycle time.

A simple test is to just supply a few pounds of air pressure to the reservoir and time the cycle.

It would not be hard to rig a compressor and regulator to the tank , but sure would cut down on the portability.

Last edited:
I have a drum of low-temp John Deere hydraulic fluid that will be going into the splitter I'm building. I got it for free or I would be using Dexron.

This may just well solve my ' tough to start' woes. THanks for asking the question triptester, and for the answers, guys.

Shoerfast, the supply side info is so basic, I guess I needed a slap on the side of my head to realize that the strainer in the tank outlet is restricting the flow to the pump.

Thanks for the replies.

I use amsoil synthetic trans fluid, a dexrton III and it works great(I run the used stuff I take out of my truck for the splitter), I use it in my splitter and my ez dump will even work fine at 10 degrees F. It would be slow and groan with the old fluid but the synthetic lets it work fine, any synthetic will work great in the cold.

hydraulic fluid

you mean you all use the dexrton III transmission fluid ?? i always use all season hydraulic fluid from tractor supply.

Shoerfast, the supply side info is so basic, I guess I needed a slap on the side of my head to realize that the strainer in the tank outlet is restricting the flow to the pump.

Thanks for the replies.

Triptester

Glad you found it so fast!

It seems the more simple we keep it the better, or the K.I.S.S. method.

One of my TS rules is , If it is faster hot, then it was when it was cold, there is a supply side problim. But if it was better cold then it runs when hot, it is a componet ware problim.

Most fld problims resolve them self as it get closer to operating temp. Dextron's, A/C hyd fld's ( mil, spec 5606) , 10W's even up to the 20W's oils seem ok to near "zero" weather,,,,, look at our cars and trucks with automatic trannies, there shifts seem okay with just a little warm up.

I plan on using the Kubota Super UDT hydraulic fluid I get from my 3830 when I do a 50 hour service to change the oil in my splitter. It looks like brand new and Super UDT is great for cold weather appications

Back