Hydraulic fluid in splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polish hammer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a homemade splitter and recently put new seals in the cylinder so had lost some fluid I checked to see how much fluid I have left in tank and I only about 2 inches in a tank that is 24” x16” 9” deep once the cylinder fills up I can’t imagine there being much left.. so how much should I add roughly it’s a 5” cylinder if that matters

Going by your measurements, your tank has a capacity of 12 gallons, and there are almost 3 in it.

I would put 5 gallons in (one pail) & try that. You can add more if you suck some air. If you get too much it should just spit it out the fill pipe. Or vent. There are other things to consider, like where it pulls from and if the splitter isn't level. It will likely hold more than that, maybe another 3-4 gallons - ideally, likely the best amount is as full as you can get it, without it spitting any out.

Fill it up. You only need an inch or two for thermal expansion. And make sure you do it with the rod fully retracted. More oil will help keep the oil from getting too hot.

I might as well drain what I have put new filter on n fill it.. there is no vent just a cap but never had an issue so I’ll probably start with 8-9 gallons n see if that’s effeicent if so I’ll add a tad more!

See if you can drill 1/4 in hole in the side of the cap. Stuff steel wool in the hole to keep the bugs out. That should work as a vent. You don’t want to “seal” the tank. Even fitting the cap on loosely may cause excessive pressure build up in the tank.

See if you can drill 1/4 in hole in the side of the cap. Stuff steel wool in the hole to keep the bugs out. That should work as a vent. You don’t want to “seal” the tank. Even fitting the cap on loosely may cause excessive pressure build up in the tank.

If it gets left out in the rain, I wouldn't do that, I would spring for a water proof vent cap.

Just trying to suggest the quick cheap and easy route. Yes a true vent that would spin on would be better.

Back