hydraulic pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBFab

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ok, so maybe this sounds a little crazy, but has anybody ever tried using a power steering pump for a hydraulic pump on a logsplitter? My grandfather started this project before he passed away, and now I have inherited it. What does everybody think?

I am borrowing my boss's logsplitter right now that uses the hyd pump off an old John Deere combine. It isnt terribly fast, and dont look like much, but its tearing hell out of the ash mulberry and locust I am currently splitting. By the way, my splitter in progress will not be built this way due to safety and pride issues. :laugh: Heres a few pics of this quazi logsplitter that works very well for what it is.

I am borrowing my boss's logsplitter right now that uses the hyd pump off an old John Deere combine. It isnt terribly fast, and dont look like much, but its tearing hell out of the ash mulberry and locust I am currently splitting. By the way, my splitter in progress will not be built this way due to safety and pride issues. :laugh: Heres a few pics of this quazi logsplitter that works very well for what it is.

Hey, whatever works! Form follows function. :D

Any of you know where I can run the numbers on the splitter pump I got off ebay? I will take a few pics and also list the visible numbers. 2670017 on 1 side of top bolting flange. Other side says FC3AH.Its supposed to be a 2 stage 13.6 gpm Barnes pump

The Barnes numbers are hard to cross reference because the part number seen to change according to who the pump was originally made for. Ninety-five percent of the two stage pumps on log splitters are made by Barnes. The other five percent are made by MTE.

The only external way of telling the pumps size is by the length of the body from the face of the mounting flange to the rear of the pump.
11 GPMpumps are 4.91 inches long.
13 -16 GPM pumps are 5.47 long.

The 16 GPM and smaller pumps have 4 bolt flanges and the 22 - 28 GPM pumps have 2 bolt flanges.
Here is a Barnes site http://www.hbus.haldex.com/products/documents/hi_lo_pg_rev1203.pdf

GEAR PUMPS TWO STAGE PAGE 3

Latest posts

Back