Hydrolics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevefloor

Reaction score
Have a 1959 model 348, licking splitter log splitter. Started it up the other day and it took 10 to 15 seconds for the ram to move and it did so very slow with little power. Fluid is full, filter is clean. Did notice the fluid got frothy after cycling a few times. Worked great last week. Old tool but a good one. Any help is appreciated.

Your hydraulics are slow because there seems to be an air leak in the pump seal. Air is getting sucked in and mixing with the fluid. Get a new pump is my 2¢

Your hydraulics are slow because there seems to be an air leak in the pump seal. Air is getting sucked in and mixing with the fluid. Get a new pump is my 2¢

Take the pump apart and replace the seals, LOTs cheaper than a new pump. Usually also a little passage for bearing blowby to return to the line, be sure that is not plugged.

Thanks for the help. I am a gas engine guy. Hydrolics are new to me but I thought the same thing. Sucking air. I inherited this splitter about 5 years back. Original 8 horse Kohler starts first pull every time. Time for some new hoses, filter and open up or replace the pump. Thanks to all.

Latest posts

Back