Hyway pop up 56mm 066 kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can’t say if it’s good or bad but don’t see why not. Every saw I’ve rebuilt got hyway or meteor Kits, some need castings cleaned some don’t. Kit in the pics are the hyway big bore with pop up and caber rings

Attachments

• 7B29FE12-2CE4-4FC5-9C23-974EFBBF5F32.jpeg
    7B29FE12-2CE4-4FC5-9C23-974EFBBF5F32.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • D1737D35-F48A-4F60-8F06-4E3451288D58.jpeg
    D1737D35-F48A-4F60-8F06-4E3451288D58.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • AA7508DA-BE52-4224-83A6-3731E15427B7.jpeg
    AA7508DA-BE52-4224-83A6-3731E15427B7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 79327B3D-25C1-43D0-8EA6-C852D9714135.jpeg
    79327B3D-25C1-43D0-8EA6-C852D9714135.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • E7D903CC-20BB-44B3-AFB6-779E35A92B96.jpeg
    E7D903CC-20BB-44B3-AFB6-779E35A92B96.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 36C36D6C-931D-40A8-A607-E0C3C2A11BCD.jpeg
    36C36D6C-931D-40A8-A607-E0C3C2A11BCD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 23F5C681-BC5C-4154-BA15-4607A42DDC02.jpeg
    23F5C681-BC5C-4154-BA15-4607A42DDC02.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Few 372xp rebuilds I did, locals wanted them build inexpensive. Used 3 Hyway p/c kits and all peeled plating on exhaust port. Do not know how well a Hyway piston would work in an oem cylinder. Believe AM kits are hit and miss, hope you received a hit.

Few 372xp rebuilds I did, locals wanted them build inexpensive. Used 3 Hyway p/c kits and all peeled plating on exhaust port. Do not know how well a Hyway piston would work in an oem cylinder. Believe AM kits are hit and miss, hope you received a hit.
I did a few 372 Original Edition builds with Popups and Hyway Cylinders. They ran strong for me, so being proud of them I put them in my test program. In the pro logger's environment none of them survived more than 6 months. All peeled the plating. Kind of bitter sweet. Also pounded the bearing pockets out of the aftermarket cases I had used. Essentially I got scrap back from that test! Have to say they had more time on them by the time they came back than most folks will ever put on them. So the firewood guy might have a better result but certainly would be nervous if I was building for a guy making a living with that saw. And with the OEM cylinders being under 150, those OEM's with a Hyway popup or VEC popup gives similar results relative to power but will last.

Cheapest oem for the 066 I could find was 280 something I think, if I can find one for 150 I’d definitely buy it. The 576 I have for sale. Didn’t realize oem cylinders were on sale until after I ordered hyway. Think the math wound up being 50$ or so more to go oem cylinder with hyway piston. I’ve never had issues with hyway but none I’ve built get used for more than firewood. I like the idea of testing one out with a local company to see.

Cheapest oem for the 066 I could find was 280 something I think, if I can find one for 150 I’d definitely buy it. The 576 I have for sale. Didn’t realize oem cylinders were on sale until after I ordered HyWay. Think the math wound up being 50$ or so more to go oem cylinder with HyWay piston. I’ve never had issues with hyway but none I’ve built get used for more than firewood. I like the idea of testing one out with a local company to see.
In kind of a funny twist, I went through the saws I had built over the years from those Farmertec kits. Had excellent luck with the Hyway PISTONS, handle bars and a bunch of other HyWay parts for those 660's as they are a significant improvement over what came in the kit. But both Cross Performance and Hyway cylinders didn't last as long as the 54mm Farmertec cylinders ... but I had quite a few of those 54mm cylinders and picked the ones that looked best. Those Farmerte;s were ugly but lasted to this point, some in an actual production environment. None of the cylinders from Taiwan sources did. Piston did, just not the cylinders. And the early Farmertec 56's are still running, but the ones from around 2017 until I last looked did not, often had scoring from tool's used to hone them. And the 56mm intake casting was terrible. I don't know if they changed.. They also needed to add like .025" .03" to the floor of the exhaust ports on those 56mm cylinders. Haven't looked at any of that stuff in a year or two, so being the moving target they are, all that might have been fixed on the56mm's for all I know, And I see another iteration of the Hyway cylinders, maybe they will have better wear characteristics. But some of the issues I had from a sample of two of those Taiwan sourced cylinders was the bore alignment relative to the cylinder base, took a couple of weeks of logging until the rod bearings in those 660's failed. And even then it took the second failure for me to even think about evaluation to the level I actually found the problem. Not something u look for. A testament the the kit saw cranks actually. I suspect that was an anomaly not the norm as that wasn't something that popped up on the internet from other sources in that time period, but that realization once found soured my interest to the point I never used another. I recognize that probably isn't fair or logical...but just was my reaction. I think I would like to buy and try the new 56mm Hyway top end on my "tweaked" 660 "bling saw" built from a kit. Update the knowledge set on this stuff and hope for a better result

I seen they had the titanikasil or whatever they called it. Is that the one your meaning weime?

I did a few 372 Original Edition builds with Popups and Hyway Cylinders. They ran strong for me, so being proud of them I put them in my test program. In the pro logger's environment none of them survived more than 6 months. All peeled the plating. Kind of bitter sweet. Also pounded the bearing pockets out of the aftermarket cases I had used. Essentially I got scrap back from that test! Have to say they had more time on them by the time they came back than most folks will ever put on them. So the firewood guy might have a better result but certainly would be nervous if I was building for a guy making a living with that saw. And with the OEM cylinders being under 150, those OEM's with a Hyway popup or VEC popup gives similar results relative to power but will last.
Shoot you can buy OEM 372 top ends off Amazon for $115 and its prime! Doesn't get much better than that.

Thats pretty good,
I find it funny that most of the arguments for oem is that you get what you pay for, Does that mean Husqvarna is losing money on these?

Maybe :)

Most accurate arguments for OEM include understanding that Mahle castings & plating will out last any of the cheaper Aftermarket offerings by orders of magnitude, usually run better as well. And to this point will out last even the most expensive AM offerings. I remember when the first 52mm "Big Bores" came out it was a win if they actually matched OEM performance and didn't loose their plating in 20 tanks. The AM's game has always been price, at the time most were designed and the business model put in place, they were 1/2 the price of OEM so folks would over look their "warts". And that still is the case in the Stihl world. When Husqvarna dropped the price of their top ends, the game changed. The really low cost under 50 dollar options still had the cost advantage....but the better AM's like Meteor and HyWay really no longer had a reason to exist as designed and manufactured. SO we enter the new era....HyWay with their popup's and now with a better plating....will it work? Time will tell. All I can say from what I've seen, AM cylinders that cost the same as OEM is a tough sell....unless they can come up with another gimmick or prove to last at least as long for a better price. Maybe a HyWay 52mm popup with plating that will last more than 6 months in a pro environment might be it. The last ones I tried didn't make 6 months before the plating peeled, and while admittedly speculation, It looked to me as if it wasn't the plating material as much as the cylinder material wasn't stabile enough to keep the plating bonded. They are motivated to keep the business concept so it wouldn't surprise me if their new offering solves the issue, and it appears from the outside looking in, there is collaboration with Meteor, maybe some of the blending of the business yields a pro level product. I had better luck with the Meteor branded cylinders than HyWay in the past testing both.

I definitely agree with that Walt, ( nice Lutheran reference too"warts")
I just ordered one of the new blue 372xp saws and was considering a hyway cylinder and piston kit for it but honestly I'd be a fool not to go with OEM for the same cost.
Maybe Husqvarna being such a diverse company they can easily produce a painless priced P/C kit. Stihl is not really in that realm, as far as cost.

I definitely agree with that Walt, ( nice Lutheran reference too"warts")
I just ordered one of the new blue 372xp saws and was considering a hyway cylinder and piston kit for it but honestly I'd be a fool not to go with OEM for the same cost.
Maybe Husqvarna being such a diverse company they can easily produce a painless priced P/C kit. Stihl is not really in that realm, as far as cost.
A 50mm OEM cylinder with a popup piston is a quick and dirty compression hit that works....:) Might find a good used one for cheap if money is an issue, and their plating rarely is beat.

Thanks I appreciate the information.
By the way I found an MS441 at the scrap yard with multiple issues, not limited to but including broken clutch cover, clutch, front and rear av springs, and elasto- start handle. The real death was due to a terrible spark plug insert repair .
I ordered a hutzl/farmertech 52mmbig bore piston and cylinder for it,while I try and get the oem sorted out.
Its a chromed cylinder and the decomp and plug holes look like they were gouged out with a hammer and pick axe before threading, which is mostly due to the fact that the combustion chamber and squish band are also chromed? Its finally assembled and running with .020 squish (gasket delete ) .
Anyway I remember you had one stowed away before so just a heads up. I'll post if it sh¡ts the bed.

Yeah I have a few in a box. (441's) I really want to get to them. I remember when they first came out, Stihl die-hards HATED them. I thought they were a really smooth and nice to operate saw. SO want to rebuild one from the bearings up OEM and another with an AM top end to compare......when I get the time! post either Pics or video!

Seems to be getting stronger, its an oak that fell last year .
I'm definitely not running the fastest combination on it, 7 pin with full skip , 25" bar. The factory oiler is just barely keeping the bar and chain oiled so I ordered a good used 1 to modify, then I'll probably try a 28".

Back