I’m an idiot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasent

ELR junkie
Reaction score
Just took on a jonsered 2094 build. I know I know I should have known better. So far I’ve got everything except a case gasket which I may just make my own. Saw ate a knot of rope and took out the bearing cage on the flywheel side. Cylinder is good and piston isn’t too bad. Hopefully chips fly

No Husqvarna "copy" of it, they are the last of the true Jonsereds (2094 and 2095)- yes very Partner like, but the last of the Jonsereds not to have close Orange cousins.
Do you "need" a case gasket? I will happily admit- I have never built one of these without one- but if the crank lobes clear........
You might find someone with a NOS gasket set, for Jonsered or Partner- but I would not hold my breath while looking.
No copies from Asia for those either.

Fantastic saws when they are complete and running- not so good if they break and you need parts. Will happily piss all over stock 066's of the same vintage.

I may try motoseal if my gasket attempt fail. I’ve made gaskets in the past but never a case gasket. Fail on this one means with fuel leak, oil leak, crank leak or all of the above. Saw is in great shape otherwise. May as well give it my best shot

I use Hylo-Mar Blue. Unaffected by gas/oil, never hardens and easy to cleanup.....originally designed by RollsRoyce....a bit spendy but not tacky/stringy/crazy sticky like many others. In ten years never had a failure of any sort...thin, even layer on all gasket surfaces is what you want..

I have seen case gaskets cut out of telephone book covers before. Admittingly, the resulting gasket was sprayed with some kind of aerosol gasket adhesive- but it worked.
A sheet of gasket material can be laid over a crankcase half and hammered out with a 1lb ball peen hammer- put a case bolt in each hole as it is formed to stop the gasket moving.
Or, use engineers blue, grease, vivid pen ink, wax or whatever to transfer the shape to the gasket sheet and cut with an exacto knife.
Empty .22lr cases make a nice hole punch for 5mm case screw holes in gasket material.

Punch or cut out the bolt holes first before trimming out the rest of the gasket and leave a small amount of gasket material outside the outline of the case, it can be trimmed back later. The inside of the area where the crankshaft locates would need trimming before clamping the two case halves together.

I'm not sure but was Jonsered and Redmax tied together at one point? some stuff seems to indicate they where.
https://www.smallenginesprodealer.com/part-redmax-506156902/ That link comes up to the same part number as the Jonsered 2094 gasket. $11.02 if it's the right one and I'm sure shipping on top of that but for that price I wouldn't try to make one.
I cannot remember the guys name on Fleebay that makes custom gaskets, he has you take a pic of the item next to one of several items he lists (like a dollar bill) and his computer figures it out and cuts the gasket to match, I know I should have kept his link. If I can find it I will post it later for everyone so if they are dealing with obsolete gaskets they can get them, I know he makes McCulloch gaskets as well as others like Homelite that are hard to find.

Well got email from place I ordered gasket this morning. Order status: refunded

I’m just going to make a gasket so I don’t need to split the case again.

Looking at JJ`s post that gasket doesn`t look like a difficult one to make, getting the correct gasket material first would be best, there are handy hints or tricks many of us use to make our own gaskets. Keep us in the loop if you have any questions and let us know your progress.

Back