I-5 bypass

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Off subject, but some of you SW WA guys probably have been in the area.

May need to go South from Renton to Portland soon, and I-5 may still be closed. Might just cancel trip?

Has anyone been on SR 7 south thru Morton and then West to I5 on 12 since the train wreck?

Is SR7 jugged up even ?

Or has the traffic even impacted as far as Eatonville.

State HWY weenies even are suggesting back north across Tacoma narrows, etc. 65 mi detour? Convoy thru JBLM?

Thanks.

Heading to Chehalis today, from Everret area, probably going to catch the kingston ferry and take 101 and cross over to chehalis after Oly

State Pet Troll says 501? 507? is bad, and sr7 is worse. Thats is the route that gps is going to send all the through traffic from out of state on.

My office is a mile from the scene. The bridge is on my normal homeward bound commute. 507/510 are both bad, as is 16/3. There's a bypass on-base now, gets off at Center Dr in Dupont and comes out at the Nisqually exit. It's bad, too. I understand that 7 is OK south of Elk Plain, but that's a hike.

Me? I cut across base to the south and come out on the back side of Lacey with no issues. Anybody with base access should be able to do the same, if you can get as far as McChord and take the new bridge across to Lewis Main.

Updates: yesterday at close-of-business, I-5 was still closed down. Everybody else discovered my backdoor exit, and it took the best part of 2 hours to get off base. While I was stuck in traffic between Roy and Yelm, they opened up 2 lanes of I-5. This morning all lanes are open again.

Postponed my trip south till next week to avoid the mess.

A friend lives a couple miles north of McKenna, said they did not even bother trying to leave home for the duration - luckily had just stocked up the day before. Said they onec did get onto the highway, went all of 600 yards and took 20 minutes, so turned around and went home.

I mean a direct line to Portland would be pretty sweet...

No more stops in Tukwila, Raymand, Chehalis, 7 other towns with no names, takes 6 hours and driving takes 4 so? depending on traffic...

Hop on the train, shoot down to Powell's, hit up a few "clubs" home before dawn.

What happened?

passenger train doing 80 in a 30 managed to clear most of I-5, only to forget about landing back in its own tracks. killed 6? injured dozens

Blocked the freeway for 2-3 days, and unlike most places we don't really have an alternate route, especially since that was right on the border of a massive air farce/army base. So the scenic routes involve boats, mountain passes (with snow now remember) or driving through someones lawn

Chi-McBride-Oh-Hell-No.gif

Now I'm not afraid of flying in helicopters, I don't trust them, but death is death. Welcoming it freely by me assembling 10000 loose nuts and bolts, not sure it would be wise... I've ridden some of my contraptions, have the scars and x rays to show for it... falling 3000 feet attached to a snowmobile engine isn't what I call a good time

Now I'm not afraid of flying in helicopters, I don't trust them, but death is death. Welcoming it freely by me assembling 10000 loose nuts and bolts, not sure it would be wise... I've ridden some of my contraptions, have the scars and x rays to show for it... falling 3000 feet attached to a snowmobile engine isn't what I call a good time

There's trust and then there's blind faith. If something goes wrong and you can't catch auto-rotation they come down with about the same glide ratio as an anvil.

Even on the ground they can develop nasty habits...like ground resonance...

passenger train doing 80 in a 30 managed to clear most of I-5, only to forget about landing back in its own tracks. killed 6? injured dozens

Blocked the freeway for 2-3 days, and unlike most places we don't really have an alternate route, especially since that was right on the border of a massive air farce/army base. So the scenic routes involve boats, mountain passes (with snow now remember) or driving through someones lawn

Dang! Weird that I hadn't seen anything about it online. I don't have TV (just netflix and youtube), but I usually see stuff like that on the Facebook page of the local news.

Most of the roads here are it as well. Road is shut down, you wait. Might be a few hours, might be a week, all depending on what happened.

Back