I almost had me a wood thief?..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
224253d1329410755-img_0518-jpg
View attachment 224253

Nice looking puppy you have there Lone Wolf. I have a similar version with lighter brindle.

Dogs

I see some guys are relying on dogs. all well and good, but I consider them alarms, not deterrents anymore. For me, I know their barks, an unsusual bark I go look (got one thief so far, sent him on his way with a rather *stern* warning), besides that, I don't think they would stop any burglar or thief. I don't care if it is a 300 lb wolfpitweillerpinscher hybrid with filed fangs.

My boss has a big shop that has been robbed WITH expensive security dogs and with ear splitting alarms. They just shoot them, load up and leave. Cops are slow to arrive, or they pull this trick, trip the alarm, shoot the dog, then split, come back much later once the cops and owner have come and gone. He lost three dogs, so he quit buying dogs. My guess (don't know the details but this is plausible) is they just duct tape a plastic pop bottle to a .22 for a cheap suppressor and pop.no noise, dead dog. I think a dog would stop some kids, but any pro burglar or thief..naw.

Hecks windchimes, the &%%! scrappers stole the cable going for the power for the alarms! If I was el prez supremeo dictator would slap an IMMEDIATE ban on exporting scrap metals. You go to any scrap yard and you see perfectly good stuff EVERYONE knows is stolen, going for the export scrap market. And all it is doing is making asia giant richer and killing jobs here. I consider it a civil crime potential (it's just too lucrative and easy) and also a national security military security threat to export scrap metals now, after careful consideration and also taking into account what helped fight and win ww2.

I'm lucky with my firewood here, this area is awash in firewood from tornadoes, and most of mine is visible from the street easy, but anything metal that ain't nailed down with your eyeballs on it seems to be fair game for the asia scrappers.

I have a neighbor that had his single axle trailer and firewood stolen. Somebody cut a logging chain to get it. I talked to our sheriff about the devilment going on these days. He said, Preston, you have a carry permit, right? I said yes I did. He said carry it everywhere you go. And I know it's a pain but lock you house and gate every time you leave the house. I had a 6600 Yamaha generator stolen off my back porch some years back. So I built me a lockable gate and planted it at the tree line. I do hate a thief.

I see some guys are relying on dogs. all well and good, but I consider them alarms, not deterrents anymore. For me, I know their barks, an unsusual bark I go look (got one thief so far, sent him on his way with a rather *stern* warning), besides that, I don't think they would stop any burglar or thief. I don't care if it is a 300 lb wolfpitweillerpinscher hybrid with filed fangs.

My boss has a big shop that has been robbed WITH expensive security dogs and with ear splitting alarms. They just shoot them, load up and leave. Cops are slow to arrive, or they pull this trick, trip the alarm, shoot the dog, then split, come back much later once the cops and owner have come and gone. He lost three dogs, so he quit buying dogs. My guess (don't know the details but this is plausible) is they just duct tape a plastic pop bottle to a .22 for a cheap suppressor and pop.no noise, dead dog. I think a dog would stop some kids, but any pro burglar or thief..naw.

Hecks windchimes, the &%%! scrappers stole the cable going for the power for the alarms! If I was el prez supremeo dictator would slap an IMMEDIATE ban on exporting scrap metals. You go to any scrap yard and you see perfectly good stuff EVERYONE knows is stolen, going for the export scrap market. And all it is doing is making asia giant richer and killing jobs here. I consider it a civil crime potential (it's just too lucrative and easy) and also a national security military security threat to export scrap metals now, after careful consideration and also taking into account what helped fight and win ww2.

I'm lucky with my firewood here, this area is awash in firewood from tornadoes, and most of mine is visible from the street easy, but anything metal that ain't nailed down with your eyeballs on it seems to be fair game for the asia scrappers.

Listen Dude I pray every day some douche will come over here and start shooting!Do you get my meaning?Dogs should also be backed up by an alarm and an owner to get help there. As far as I am concerned once they open fire it is self defense!If gunshots went off the neighbors would be all over them.If the dogs were in a vulnerable position you should have thought ahead on how you would out think the robbers. Sec System ,Cameras and dogs and an armed owner that was notified of your perimeter breach is not something you would want to try out!

Last edited:
Interesting & timely thread - Get this 2 days ago!

I have a longish lane up hill from main road and you can see house garage/shed when leaves are down. Now, I work out of the house, but travel occasionally (great for keeping the stove going 24/7 BTW). I always leave company car out in view, but left this Tue early morning. We have 10 acres in the middle of about 80 w/ very few houses right around me.

Well mid-morning a car comes up the drive (500ft past beware of dog sign, triggers driveway alert 150ft in) up to detached garage/shed/wood pile (looks around a bit and leaves before wife can grab phone & check it out. OK probably mistake...
Not 40 minutes later the same thing happens. She usually is good w/ make etc. but only could tell it was a small white plain sedan. Now I have been here 2 years so far an only had a couple of solicitations etc. This was weird. Of course, then I'm thinking about saws, tools trailers out etc. Also have some visible big oaks down & mostly bucked from Halloween storm

Maybe a fake or real camera is in order (we do have a general security system besides protective big dog and me (Dane Lab mix) Kind of rattled me as I can come up w/no reason for this (electric meters are remote, have well, township cars are dark crown vic's)

Interesting & timely thread - Get this 2 days ago!

I have a longish lane up hill from main road and you can see house garage/shed when leaves are down. Now, I work out of the house, but travel occasionally (great for keeping the stove going 24/7 BTW). I always leave company car out in view, but left this Tue early morning. We have 10 acres in the middle of about 80 w/ very few houses right around me.

Well mid-morning a car comes up the drive (500ft past beware of dog sign, triggers driveway alert 150ft in) up to detached garage/shed/wood pile (looks around a bit and leaves before wife can grab phone & check it out. OK probably mistake...
Not 40 minutes later the same thing happens. She usually is good w/ make etc. but only could tell it was a small white plain sedan. Now I have been here 2 years so far an only had a couple of solicitations etc. This was weird. Of course, then I'm thinking about saws, tools trailers out etc. Also have some visible big oaks down & mostly bucked from Halloween storm

Maybe a fake or real camera is in order (we do have a general security system besides protective big dog and me (Dane Lab mix) Kind of rattled me as I can come up w/no reason for this (electric meters are remote, have well, township cars are dark crown vic's)
put some quality cams up close to where they have to get in and put them wherever valuables are.Driveway alert is good start more cams are great.

Dogs are alarms

I used to work for FedEx. Dealing with dogs was part of my job. Some of the guys would carry dog biscuits or pepper spray but I never did. I would pull up to a house with beware of dog signs everywhere, dogs barking and jumping at the truck, get out grab the package put it on the porch and get back in the truck while the dogs acted like they would tear me to bits. I just learned how to read the dog and know when I dog would respond better to a friendly word, a back off growl, or just to ignore it entirely. Now I'm not saying this will work on a trained attack dog, but I had several people that couldn't believe that I walked right thru the middle of their pack of dogs to drop a package off. More than occasionally someone would tell me "You are the first delivery guy that has ever gotten out of the truck here. Most just blow the horn." I never had to shoot one (pepper spray or .22) but I did chase one around a house with a stick when it nipped my ankle once.

I recently added homemade tire shredders to my litany of security measures, I still have a few bugs to work out but it runs off the gate remote control, when gate closes it rotates the shredder into position so anyone dumb enough to ignore the signs gets to visit the Michelin man. I'm also working on a remote controlled paintball gun with a Lorex camera mounted on a 12' high turrent, this will allow me to see and fire it remotely, only problem has been getting better servos that can take the weather exposure, right now I'm using a taped on contractor bag to prevent exposure but the wind gives it hell.

I recently added homemade tire shredders to my litany of security measures, I still have a few bugs to work out but it runs off the gate remote control, when gate closes it rotates the shredder into position so anyone dumb enough to ignore the signs gets to visit the Michelin man. I'm also working on a remote controlled paintball gun with a Lorex camera mounted on a 12' high turrent, this will allow me to see and fire it remotely, only problem has been getting better servos that can take the weather exposure, right now I'm using a taped on contractor bag to prevent exposure but the wind gives it hell.

I made a spike strip for tires got a Police car as my first !

I made a spike strip for tires got a Police car as my first !

I still have some early versions that are made from bed frames with sharpened 1/4-20 bolts sticking out, I leave them in my spare driveways in case some dullard comes along and cuts the gate lock and tries to steal any of the trailers etc that are parked there, only one we got there was a summer help meter reader that pulled in past the warning signs and got two front flats. He went to the commercial building up the street for help and his truck was dragged off my property and down the road a ways by the time he returned.

Oh I've got clear views of his license plate. Only took 1 phone call to get what I needed. His truck is also very identifiable.

Walt- That remote paintball gun idea is GREAT!! My wheels are turning now. Do they make non-water based paintballs? Perhaps something hard to take off or even that could do the taking off for me.....

Oh I've got clear views of his license plate. Only took 1 phone call to get what I needed. His truck is also very identifiable.

Walt- That remote paintball gun idea is GREAT!! My wheels are turning now. Do they make non-water based paintballs? Perhaps something hard to take off or even that could do the taking off for me.....

I happen to know that a paintball is the same bore as a 12ga, I use paintballs in my nonlethal land mines. I did once toy with the idea of a sprayer filled with brake fluid to spray intruders cars with but it never got beyond a thought because testing it would have made a mess but the idea was simple, pressurized sprayer aimed correctly and a tripwire to start the flow.

This thread makes me feel better about just spending over 2200 on camera system myself ....I expect things to get worse here as the economy goes downhill even more.....I think we are at the beginning of a long slope thats not going for end well....were seeing it now lots more jobs on the chopping block ..even jobs that used to be considered secure are being chopped ...I bought an 8 camera system with 72IR for night vision ....at night it looks like daylight up to 100ft away.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I still have some early versions that are made from bed frames with sharpened 1/4-20 bolts sticking out, I leave them in my spare driveways in case some dullard comes along and cuts the gate lock and tries to steal any of the trailers etc that are parked there, only one we got there was a summer help meter reader that pulled in past the warning signs and got two front flats. He went to the commercial building up the street for help and his truck was dragged off my property and down the road a ways by the time he returned.

Good one :rock::rock::rock:

I actually almost was a wood thief once... inadvertently.

Imagine going to 12121 Smith Rd. to pick up a huge pile of free Ash laying in the yard of a small ranch house left from a line crew.. sounds good ? It would have been great if I wouldn't have stop at 11211 Smith Rd. and started loading a nice big mess of Ash logs ...yep , you saw the mistake but I didn't at the time.

Two houses on the same road with identical descriptions and very similar address , who would have thought?

The old man that owned the property and I had a heart to heart talk ..real quick like!

After we cleared up my F-up we both laughed a little and he admired my 066... not everybody that steals wood is a thief..some of us are just dumb-asses!

Back