I almost had me a wood thief?..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm one too that hardly ever locked the house. Never locked the truck. Never locked the car till two things happened. The newer vehicles have an automatic door lock when you put it in gear. Our Malibu can't be driven without locked doors. Second is living around Atlanta we have a portion of the population that are on the government hand out system. They pretty much have the feeling what's mine is theirs for the taking. So they have something they call 'carjacking'. You folks that live where there are no locks needed, that term "carjacking" just means you can be sitting at a traffic light and some bottom feeder sticks his cheap handgun in your ear and takes you vehicle. I say this 'cuz I know in you land of peace and tranquility this is foreign term to you. Some of us had to contend with this. Now I know insurance will replace the truck if it's destroyed, but after they've had days of crack party's and sex parties in your vehicle, who would want it back? Yes, I do realize I can move. And I have twice, but these sorta people just keep spreading. :angry:

So all of you with no locks and have no need for them, count you blessings. All of just can't live in utopia. So we have to find ways to look after ours. Lord knows I do pray these low life's would stop their ways, but here at least it's just getting worse. Y'all count yourselves blessed that you live in a land of peace without these government pampered bottom feeders to worry with. But the best part, you do have need to lock anything up. How fortunate you are.

To Preston

I live in a Goverment supported area. I know what you are getting at. When we moved here we never locked the house cars shop left keys in all the equipment. Those days are over with. Now they set in the cafe and talk about different things that they can steal. They have no tail lights or lic on there trailers. The big thing is they think the other working people are sorry because we don't help them. Don't know about people any more.

I'm one too that hardly ever locked the house. Never locked the truck. Never locked the car till two things happened. The newer vehicles have an automatic door lock when you put it in gear. Our Malibu can't be driven without locked doors. Second is living around Atlanta we have a portion of the population that are on the government hand out system. They pretty much have the feeling what's mine is theirs for the taking. So they have something they call 'carjacking'. You folks that live where there are no locks needed, that term "carjacking" just means you can be sitting at a traffic light and some bottom feeder sticks his cheap handgun in your ear and takes you vehicle. I say this 'cuz I know in you land of peace and tranquility this is foreign term to you. Some of us had to contend with this. Now I know insurance will replace the truck if it's destroyed, but after they've had days of crack party's and sex parties in your vehicle, who would want it back? Yes, I do realize I can move. And I have twice, but these sorta people just keep spreading. :angry:

So all of you with no locks and have no need for them, count you blessings. All of just can't live in utopia. So we have to find ways to look after ours. Lord knows I do pray these low life's would stop their ways, but here at least it's just getting worse. Y'all count yourselves blessed that you live in a land of peace without these government pampered bottom feeders to worry with. But the best part, you do have need to lock anything up. How fortunate you are.

--that's the last straw that got me to move out of metro. Gf couldn't even go to the gas station without being harassed, and then I started catching bums breaking into my basement. Little woods behind my house and on the street side the other side of the woods there was a marta stop. It was knee deep in crap trash and the lowlifes just went through the woods and started nailing anything they could grab. the crime there is just out of control. Had an apartment, some junkiie climbed a fence and climbed into the kitchen window, second story! Woke up to some junkie in my house, ran him out with my pistol, I did NOT want to blast somer aids and hep infected cretin and splatter that all over. One attempted car jacking. Had to go down during the rodney king riots and rescue the Gf I had at the time and her mom from where they worked downtown. Was working doing repairs for a guy who owned section 8 housing, I am fixing the gutters and cleaning them and find needles...Had to keep moving my van so I could keep an eye on it from any nearby windows when I was working inside. I mean, it just went on and on. Had a good friend just knocked unconscious, someone just whacked him from behind while he was walking down the sidewalk in a neighborhood, rolled for his wallet. Guy tried to mug me on the street. All sorts of stuff. Had enough, moved, and I was close enough anyway from having another back relapse, couldn't work much. I don't even like driving down there any more. It's creepy. Almost as creepy as some of the "abandoned areas"* in Detroit I've seen.

Robert Heinlein reference, "abandoned areas" from "I will fear no evil". He nailed it, happening now..

My sons best friend who stays with us from time to time called me at 4am this morning in a panic, he recently picked up a second job plowing parking lots and when he showed up this morning the plow was gone from his bosses truck...he called police and his boss but the cops were more interested in where he was prior to the incident, I was able to shut them down when I told the cop that my lawyer would be delivering a digital recording of exactly where he was and what time he arrived and left. I told the cops they had better look elsewhere for suspects as I trust this kid with a key and alarm code to my home and he is making good money at his two jobs, one of which requires drug testing as a condition of employment.
Yet another good use for cameras-proof of innocent activity.

makes me appreciate my life. never had keys to my house. leave my keys in the vehicles

My house is over 100 years old, never had modern locks. I finally put some deadbolts on about 6 years ago. I sometimes leave my keys in my truck when I'm at a job site, or by the shop, but only when I'm fairly near. We're pretty safe out here, but the crime wave is getting closer, and the way the economy is going, it won't be improving.

It's a shame ! :msp_mad:

What have we done......

We have created generation after generation with no work ethic and little by little things that used to be unacceptable have been allowed to slide, now we are faced with a society that manufactures criminals instead of workers.

It's a shame ! :msp_mad:

What have we done......

Kinda simple really. We as a collective body have allowed the courts to remove the teaching of Scripture from every facet of American life. That has made our life's governed by governmental law of the external instead of what America was founded and raised on, law of the heart. When you know something is wrong and you're taught it's wrong. you are almost fearful of doing it. Now days that teaching has been replaced by the idea we've hurt somebody's feeling along the way and some other belief system has been offended. So we have what we have and it will get no better unless and when the "men" of this nation decide time has come to do something about it. Government is the problem so don't rely on them. Thomas Jefferson said "the tree of liberty in order to flourish and grow, every 200 years or so needs to be watered with the blood of the patriots". With the laws written as they are today that would looked at as a seditious statement. But that was the mind set of our founders. They knew what a revolution had to have to survive. Ours is dead and rotting and we have what we've let happen. The fire is out in the stove, so to speak. We've got to fire it up again or it's useless.:msp_sad:

That's what we've done.

I'm the product of an old school, provide for yourself, work hard, save for the future household. Our family started with very little and through hard work AND discipline we have all prospered without any government help. Personally I don't understand or have patience for the hand out crowd. To the point where if someone has the ability to work and doesn't, I feel no obligation to help them. Here is why.

From my experience if someone is honestly on hard times and needs help, family, friends and people who know them will assist till they are back on their feet. I have helped others I KNEW in tight spots and guess what, They paid back and got back on their feet ....QUICKLY! There is normally a reason why habitual down and outs are that way. If the people who know them the best(family and friends) have written them off, it should be a red flag to others.

Hard? yes, true?...mostly. I realize there are a few cases but for the most part this rings true.

I was talking with a single mother of 3. She did have a full time job but chooses to only work a few days a week. To the point where her employer is considering letting her go for attendance. I asked her if she was sick or what. She told me she just didn't want to go. Working a few days a week is all she needs to get by.

That is the mindset I have seen that is becoming pretty common. Some of it comes from people seeing the parents work hard all their life and end up with nothing. They get the idea of "Why should I work all my life and end up like my parents" Seems like a lot of bad financial decisions are lost on the "need it all now" generation. Saving is stupid to them.

I'll relate one of the best money lessons my father taught me. When I was in high school I wanted a 3 wheeler bad. I NEVER considered asking him to get me one. I approached him and asked him if he'd allow me to buy one! To my surprise he said yes. He walked down into his workshop and got a can. He told me to put the cash in here and when you get enough I'll take you to pick it up and bring it home.

I worked for over a year baling hay, doing odd jobs, mowing, avoiding spending on throwaways (movies, stereo systems and the latest fads) When I finally had enough I approached him and I'll never forget the words he said. "Everytime you take this out, I want you to realize what it took you time wise to buy this." Taught me the meaning of what a dollar was worth and I took care of it.

We have created generation after generation with no work ethic and little by little things that used to be unacceptable have been allowed to slide, now we are faced with a society that manufactures criminals instead of workers.

We did not the liberals in charge of the crack money to buy votes did!

Back in the day there was a problem around here.

A log was hollowed, black powder inserted and plugged.

Then a bang in the middle of the night.

Did not happen again.

Cameras... PC or DVR system what ya got?

It has been mentioned on this thread that this economy is driving people to steal, etc. I fully agree and sadly crime is going to get worse.

I have looked into a camera system for my shop. The internet is full of companies selling all sorts of systems. I am leaning toward a DVR based system, they are less prone to crashing than PC's. Maybe the OP will tell us what system he's using.

The quality if camera is very important as was mentioned. If the cops can't make out clearly who is ripping you off you've wasted your time as well as theirs.

It has been mentioned on this thread that this economy is driving people to steal, etc. I fully agree and sadly crime is going to get worse.

I have looked into a camera system for my shop. The internet is full of companies selling all sorts of systems. I am leaning toward a DVR based system, they are less prone to crashing than PC's. Maybe the OP will tell us what system he's using.

The quality if camera is very important as was mentioned. If the cops can't make out clearly who is ripping you off you've wasted your time as well as theirs.

Or a medium quality cam placed close enough to see them clearly.Trick is to fine tune them once you have them so you see what you need to.

Lonewolf,

We have a location that catches a lot of car traffic. The company that I have talked to has all price points of cameras. License plate capture cameras are very pricey.
Location and sun light/glare is an issue too I'm learning. The fine tuning that you spoke of plays a big roll too.

Last edited:
Lonewolf,

We have a location that catches a lot of car traffic. The company that I have talked to has all price points of cameras. License plate capture cameras are very pricey.
Location and sun light/glare is an issues too I'm learning. The fine tuning that you spoke of plays a big roll too.

Got a link?

These are the guys I like

Lone wolf,

These folks seems to know what goes going on and the pricing is fair I think.

CCTV Cameras

My system will run $4,000 plus less the time I'll spend installing. Work is slow at the present time so needless to say I have not bought yet.

A base Lorex wireless is a good starting point of around $700, has good night vision, good monitor and two way audio. I use the Lorex system as a camera looking at a camera backup system to fill any voids in my coverage.

Pay your bills

Came to work one morning a couple years back and noticed something odd about one of our 16 ft. box vans. It was sitting up on blocks, all six tires gone, rims left behind. Well I called the cops, they came and took a report, 1300 bucks in near brand new tires stolen, I mean we're talking less than 1000 miles on them. I had the brilliant idea that someone may need to have those mounted on rims so I was going to call the local tire shops and alert them. First call was the place we had just "purchased" the tires from, explain to the guy who I am and what has happened, he says hold on a moment and goes to get someone for me to talk to. Manager gets on the phone and tells me he knows where my tires are.....for the 1300 bucks still owed he will send 2 monkeys down to reinstall said tires. They were repo'd for failure to pay. You just never know.

I almost had me a wood thief…..

Just when you thought it was safe to be at work….

I've recently installed security cameras for the home/property and I was going through some alarm footage only to find a would have been wood thief. It was just around noon when this guy pulls into my driveway, walks the property for a minute then backs his pickup all the way in to property and upto my wood stash. I see him get out of the truck, put on work gloves, make one quick knock on the door. He then goes back near his truck, takes a look around to see if the coast is clear, then BAM, he looks one of the obvious cameras right in the eye and high tales it outta there.

In my opinion the investment was well worth it. The look on this guys face was PRICELESS!! It may as well been a 85lbs German Shepard running at him. F@%$ing guy had his truck in drive before he closed his door. LOL.

Let's just say he should be expecting to have a nice chat
did you call the cops show them the viedo
you should let the dog bite the theif

Latest posts

Back