I-beam washers/beam sliders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen at least one manufacturer indicate they have no metal to metal contact on the slide. I do not remember what material they use. My one slide has a factory zerk fitting on each side of the slide. I built my other slide and it is longer than the wedge that sits on top. This design was intended to reduce stressors and keep the slide as parallel to the beam as possible. The lower flanges extend almost to the center web. No grease fittings, just a dab of grease on the underside of both sides of the T. Most underside flanges I have seen extend for only a portion of the T and in my opinion equates to less surface area and more wear over time. EDIT: There is just enough clearance that I can move my slide by hand when not connected to the ram.
View attachment 739408
They likely use HDPE or Teflon...both are easy to get. My Brave uses HDPE.

I also spray my beam with sil-glide which is a dry graphite lubricant.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Fired up the splitter after changing the oil to top it up. Took a closer look at the pusher and my cylinders. The binding/ flexing action had played havoc and stretched or loosened up the tie bolts on the head glands, the barrel seals were leaking. Glad they didn't let go!

Exhibit 1 is the beating these bolts took.

I put a 3/16 sheet of moly plastic under the beam pusher and 3/16 on the wings underneath, and omitted the spacers in the second picture. Those spacers seemed to help keep the pusher square on the beam. Beam washers are keeping the angle of the back plate and plastic parralel with the beam taper, and a second beam washer leaves a flat place for the nut to rest, clamping everything together.

The pusher walks/waggles more on a horizontal plane and it still cocks sideways with wood that isn't cut square, but doesn't bind like before. Radial movement is mostly gone. I've had to tighten the bolts them a couple times already, hopefully not from super excessive wear on the plastic. Will pull apart and analyze after a few more splits. The wings underneath were very bent, I'll probably have to remove them and straighten them in the shop press if this is even close to working. Right now, I'm not sure.

I didn't take many pictures because my phone died right after it got torn apart.

I'm splitting cottonwood and tightening the bolts/wearing in the plastic to see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_170323812_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190629_170323812_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20190629_165930005_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190629_165930005_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 13
My most used splitter has 6 bolts on each side. Ever couple of years have to take it apart and weld up the play grind it smooth and bolt it up. My latest design it is welded solid with wear strips that can be removed. I keep it a little damp with oil or it would wear out really quick. Thanks

Back