I bit off more than I can chew...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nittany_tim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Yardley, PA (southeastern PA, outside Philly)
First post here.... what a great site.

I've been burning about 3 cords per winter in our woodstove since we bought our house 7 years ago. Among others, we've burned lots of sweet gum, which is a nightmare to split, but burns just fine and is plentiful in our area. So when my wife called me yesterday to ask me if I wanted another sweet gum tree that a tree service was felling 2 doors down, of course I said yes. But when I got home, I found that this wasn't the typical 15"-18" diameter sweet gum I was used to... this was a monster, with logs having a diameter up to 27" (and all of them dumped in my backyard). My 7-year old, 16" Poulan isn't going to cut it.

Can anyone offer advice on the minimum size chainsaw I need to upgrade to (in terms of both power and bar length), and also advice on how to buck up logs of this size (safely!)?

Thanks a lot!

Tim

Well, with that 16" bar you can cut up to 32" diameter. It will be slow going, but it can be done. If you want a saw that can handle a bar to make one pass, you are looking at either a Husky 365,372, or a Stihl 440,460. Then theres Makita and Jonsered, but I am not familiar with those saws.

You probably could get by with a Stihl 390 and put a 20" bar on it, that Im sure would be more practical for a 3 cord a year supply than paying at least $550 for a saw I earlier mentioned.

I just bought a Husqvarna 359 with a 20" bar and I think it would be quite capable of cutting that wood with 2 passes. I have a small Poulan and it would take forever with it. There are many good saws bigger and smaller than the one that I've got that would work.

I got a husky 350 18 inch bar, I wouldn't hesitate to cut that up with it.... I cut all kinds of large wood with it, and it does just fine for me.... Just the other day i was cutting up about 2.5ft dia elm tree, it did fine..... I love the saw.

nittany_tim, as in Nittany Lions? - showing your true colors?
I took down some trees in Swarthmore years back; a couple of mature Beech trees that had been damaged by construction of an addition off the back of a home. Just about every other tree on that street was Sweet Gum... I've always been partial to a mid-sized pro saw, not too heavy (to prevent fatigue), but strong enough to run a 36" bar when needed for the really big logs. I'd agree with the above advice, a decent saw with a 20" bar is adequate. A cant hook is helpful for rolling those logs, and of course full PPE. Be careful, if you enjoy the sawyerin' too much you might be tempted to quit your day job and end up like this ol'e sawdust eater :)

nittany_tim said:
Great.... thanks for all the replies.

When cutting through a log that thick, in general is the risk of kickback significantly increased? If so, how best to avoid it?

Thanks again,

Tim
Search this site for kickback, lots of people here talk about safety chain, different bars to reduce kickback etc.. Drives me nuts, I can run big saws with chisel chain with the rakers filed right down and not worry about kickback from a saw that could cut my head off in a second, WHY? cause I never put myself in the way, simple. Always stand to one side of the saw, always, buck lefthanded if you have to, whatever it takes. Search away.

also, if you are holding the saw properly and the chain brake feature is working, injury from kickback will be very rare.

27" gum

I'd come and cut it up for you if I was close enough, but i"m in Wisconsin. I'd bring over my old HOmelite C-71 or C-9 with a 30" bar and .404 chain, and cut it up for you no problem. I would put a post on here, and look for a used saw from somebody which would be big enough to do the project. You'll save yourself a lot of money. I got a good used poulan pro 475 for $200 with shipping. This saw will run a 28" bar no problem! Give it a try and see who pm's you!

From your post I would assume that this isn't a regular thing, so spending a bunch of money probably doesn't make sense for you. You could get by on that with something in the Stihl 290 class. A larger saw would be nice if this is going to become a regular thing, but a 290 will do it in a reasonably speedy fashion and will only cost you $320 or so, brand new. It is a good occasional-use saw, very reliable, and powerful enough to cut the wood you're up against.

Husqvarna models that will work well in this sort of role and not break the bank would include the 455, 350, 353, 359. Of those models, and considering the fact that you've been able to get by with your Poulan, I'd probably go with the Husqvarna 353 - that saw will last you a lifetime and isn't as heavy as the Stihl 290/310/390 family or the Husqvarna 455.

Alternatively, you may wish to see what you can come up with used from folks on the site. Somebody on here mentioned in the Stihl 017 post that they were willing to offload a lightly-used Husqvarna 359, that might be something well-worth looking into.

Hi Neighbor!!

Yardley Huh?

Im right over in Newtown and would be glad to come over and run some saws, make some noise and some friends.;)

I have a Homelite 925 and a brand new 28" bar and chain Im dying to try out on some big wood.

My neighbors would probably pay me to go somewhere else and run my saws for a while.:dizzy:

I may even be able to bring some help.

Shoot me a PM if your interested.

Eric

danrclem said:
I just bought a Husqvarna 359 with a 20" bar and I think it would be quite capable of cutting that wood with 2 passes. I have a small Poulan and it would take forever with it. There are many good saws bigger and smaller than the one that I've got that would work.

I cut big stuff all the time in one pass with a 20" bar. Start the cut far enough on top of the log that the bar will clear the off side, rotate the saw as near vertical as possible while cutting then let it come back down on your side. Unless the log is -really- outsized for the bar, it will cut clear in one pass. Currently have a 37" log down and will be cutting with my 041 24" bar. That one may require swapping sides.

Harry K

It's always nice to have a reason for buying a bigger saw, but if this is a one time project, either get someone with a saw to help you out, borrow one if it is available, or go down to the rental center and get one for the day. Home Depot has the Makita 6401 with a 20" bar that should do the trick, and some rental centers carry larger Stihls.

After you're done bucking, then do the same for a splitter to save your back.

....but like I said, it's always nice to have a reason for buying a bigger saw.

Buy it!

Hey, Tim, buckwheat is certainly partly correct, but it sounds to me like you might be ready for another saw to compliment your Poulan, so why not? If you have the cash and you will have the need in the future go for it? For one tree it's probably not worth it. And by the way if your current saw is cutting well and you keep the chain sharp it can probably handle that tree. If you want to handle it better, and similarly handle any future large trees, or just get through them quicker, then by all means get another saw.

I really like the earlier suggestion of the Huskie 353. I have one, and with a 20" bar and chain it does just fine. I have a larger saw for longer periods of bucking large stuff.

Check out saws in that class. Locate local dealers and check out what's out there and deals that can be had. Husqvarna saws can be sold online so you can check out the possible deals to know the pricepoint you want to achieve. Stihl dealers are probably going to quote the retail price - at least you know where to start.

MarkG

Latest posts

Back