I bought a stolen chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cops are coming to my shop in the morning!

I got a call from two detectives today. One thought that I might have some helpful info on a violent crime in our area, and another was looking for details on the saw discussed in this thread.

Apparently, they don't have the serial number on the chainsaw that was reported stolen. They do have an employee name that was suspect in the theft. I gave them my chainsaw sellers name.

WE HAVE A MATCH !!!

BTW: The detective that called me was very friendly, and recalled me from another occasion when she attempted to recover a stolen welder for me. It turned out to be the wrong serial number, but she remembered me favorably.

Hopefully they will make him pay restitution to you and no one will be out any money... Love to hear of a saw thief getting busted. It usually doesn't end that way.

I got a call from two detectives today. One thought that I might have some helpful info on a violent crime in our area, and another was looking for details on the saw discussed in this thread.

Apparently, they don't have the serial number on the chainsaw that was reported stolen. They do have an employee name that was suspect in the theft. I gave them my chainsaw sellers name.

WE HAVE A MATCH !!!

BTW: The detective that called me was very friendly, and recalled me from another occasion when she attempted to recover a stolen welder for me. It turned out to be the wrong serial number, but she remembered me favorably.

Well, it woulda been better if the saw had come out clean, but a thief getting locked down is darn near as good!!!!
Good to hear it!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Progress report: Detectives are confidant that they have the stolen saw. They took it into custody. We had it all cleaned up so that they didn't get their hands dirty.

I wanted to make sure that they prosecuted, so just for now, they are holding the saw until prosecution. I told them to go ahead and give the victim my name and contact information, and encourage them to come by my shop to see the video.

I will be squeezing them to pay me back the $250 I invested in getting their saw back. We'll see how it turns out.

Post-script: One of my guys was trying to get the phone number of one of the female detectives! I don't think she was too interested.

Last edited:
Progress report: Detectives are confidant that they have the stolen saw. They took it into custody. We had it all cleaned up so that they didn't get their hands dirty.

I wanted to make sure that they prosecuted, so just for now, they are holding the saw until prosecution. I told them to go ahead and give the victim my name and contact information, and encourage them to come by my shop to see the video.

I will be squeezing them to pay me back the $250 I invested in getting their saw back. We'll see how it turns out.

Post-script: One of my guys was trying to get the phone number of one of the female detectives! I don't think she was too interested.

Yea I figured that you'd be wanting that 250.00 back , no good deed goes unpunished ... Do the right thing ans shake it off as helping fellow man besides you should feel lucky that your not in trouble

Yea I thought the same. I wouldn't be happy paying full price for a saw then paying another 250 to get back my property. Expecting the money back might not really show good intentions.

it still is better to pay full price and 250 for being recover that you can get back through prosecution than paying full price twice..
I got robbed over the winter for 11k ok stighl products. I would have loved to be able to buy the back even if it cost me 4k

One reason to insure your belongings. My friend got cleaned out of all his saws. By the time they found them all the insurance had already replaced them all.

I read it and anyone thinking he is a hero is clueless. He bought a newer 460 for 250, it is obvious that is a stolen saw. You are only as good as the company you keep. I will not even waste my breath with thieves and stolen tree equipment.
I question his motives, he bought a saw hoping to save a few bucks thats it.

Yeah I'll say. When people walk into my shop trying to sell stuff the conversation is short and very one sided, I say " get out" and pick up a motivational pry bar. Man Pd, you got yer nose open all over this. Hey, they are gonna come back and steal that saw from you now... and the cops still wouldn't be able to do anything about.

Last edited:
It's been real quiet since the cops came to my office and got the saw. I suppose they are planning to arrest the bad guys, but I don't know.

I've been too busy trying to scratch out a living to bother with this too much. So far, I think it will turn out well in the end.

I just want to know how it ends up. A low life stole a saw from me before last Thanksgiving, a 1949 Disston DO-100. Straddle scratcher chain. Guess he wanted to start a tree service. Hes in the big house now, hopefully getting rehabilitated; failing that, like the last time he was there, I hope he's Bubba's b##ch. Restitution has been ordered, if it comes it will be beer money.

Don't worry, guys. Just stay subscribed, and I will continue the saga.

I have some points to make, and some axes to grind in this thread, so I won't drop out and leave you hanging. The police dept? ...They might leave us all hanging. They have a tendency to be rather close-lipped.

Latest posts

Back