I bought a stolen chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry, guys. Just stay subscribed, and I will continue the saga.

I have some points to make, and some axes to grind in this thread, so I won't drop out and leave you hanging. The police dept? ...They might leave us all hanging. They have a tendency to be rather close-lipped.

Sounds like the cops got all they needed from you, and gave you all they're going to give you.

Does the dealer know anything more?
BTW, why can't the dealer ID the serial number, don't they have sales/warranty records on all that they sold?

Sounds like the cops got all they needed from you, and gave you all they're going to give you.

Does the dealer know anything more?
BTW, why can't the dealer ID the serial number, don't they have sales/warranty records on all that they sold?

That occurred to me, but I don't think so. They like to convict criminals, and I am the necessary link for that to happen. According to the detectives, the guy that lost the saws initially got taken for thousands of dollars; way more than just one little saw. The guy that sold it to me was who was suspected, but they lacked enough evidence.

That's where I expect to come in.

Regarding the dealer: I don't know about the serial number. He's been doing this for at least 30 years, and his shop is getting a little run down. Maybe he is getting sloppy with his record keeping. I was wondering about that myself.

An update on the criminal investigation

I contacted the detective that is pursuing the prosecution on the stolen chainsaw case. Here is what she told me today:

"The owner of the chain saw never responded to contact me. If he doesn’t contact me within the next week, I’ll release it back to you.

Thanks for your help!!

Detective Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxx

Metro Property Crimes Section"

Soooo...it looks like I may end up with the saw and the thieves may go un-prosecuted, despite the fact that I did everything possible to make it happen. My guess is that the owner doesn't want to prosecute, and probably got paid off by the insurance co.

I suppose that it might even be part of an insurance scam that shouldn't have ever been recovered.

I contacted the detective that is pursuing the prosecution on the stolen chainsaw case. Here is what she told me today:

"The owner of the chain saw never responded to contact me. If he doesn’t contact me within the next week, I’ll release it back to you.

Thanks for your help!!

Detective Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxx

Metro Property Crimes Section"

Soooo...it looks like I may end up with the saw and the thieves may go un-prosecuted, despite the fact that I did everything possible to make it happen. My guess is that the owner doesn't want to prosecute, and probably got paid off by the insurance co.

I suppose that it might even be part of an insurance scam that shouldn't have ever been recovered.

Easy now. I think what you've done so far is admirable. Inferring the original owner is in on it is no different than someone saying you are supporting the behavior of the thieves. We don't know that, and if they did get paid by the insurance co., then they paid the premium for that coverage. Why they don't want to trouble with prosecution is more of an indictment of the courts and jails, not the original owner, also known as the victim.

'Twasn't an accusation, only a supposition.

I'll damn sure guarantee that if I thought than an employee that stole thousands of $$$ worth of saws (as I was told by the cop), could be prosecuted with new evidence, then I would get down to the police dept come hell or high water. NOTHING would stop me from getting down to the PD.

Furthermore, all the guy has to do is come down and claim it, and they will hand it to him. Maybe he is just one of those guys that doesn't like cops. Plenty of those in this business.

Last edited:
Do you have an update yet?

I'm betting you got the saw back from the police by now.

I can't believe the guy never went and got the saw or came to see your video... Can we see the video? lol

I called the detective a short while ago, thanks for the reminder. I should have known that they wouldn't call me to come get it.

She is checking with her supervisor, but it is probably going to be released to me today or tomorrow. I'll post pics when it is all over with.

The saw is now legally mine.

The police have released the saw back to me. The (presumed) rightful owner never came to claim it. I think that means that it is legally mine, although I suppose he could still come to my shop and ask for it. That, of course, will cost him my investment in recovering it. I don't think anybody can get the saw from me now unless the case goes to prosecution.

At this point, I must wait for the saw to be transported from a warehouse to another facility, after which I just come pick it up.

I'll post some pics when I get it back into my custody.

I read it and anyone thinking he is a hero is clueless. He bought a newer 460 for 250, it is obvious that is a stolen saw. You are only as good as the company you keep. I will not even waste my breath with thieves and stolen tree equipment.
I question his motives, he bought a saw hoping to save a few bucks thats it.

I applaud his actions. Quit wrecking it.

Good job... Good things happen to good people. You went out of your way to make it right and now you are rewarded....

Here is the cause of all these problems:

attachment.php

Thought I'd had a saw stolen last week. We'd been clearing some underbrush down in my Dads back pasture, had 3 saws and a brushcutter in the back of the pickup. Took my son to a small foodstore to meet my niece who took him to church. I impulsively decided to run inside and buy a jug of tea. Usually would have parked in sight of the door but this time I parked out of sight-line as I originally was just going to drop him off. Came out, a van full of spanish guys were parked next to me with several out milling around. Looked in back of the truck, only had 2 saws in there. They were looking at me funny andI wrote down their tag # as they drove off. I had transferred the saws from another truck to mine earlier and I didnt remember grabbing the 26, yet I knew we'd had it earlier. Didnt want to appear prejudiced by accusing them of stealing so I let them drive of , then flew down to Dads to look for saw at jobsite (very secluded area.) No saw. Called the police, made a report. Mom and Dad were in church so couldnt ask them about it. Next morning went to their place early to pick up chipper truck, Dad tells me he'd put 26 in shed. Called and cancelled police report. Felt like an utter fool.

Lat week a dude pulls in my driveway, asking for me, tells me he is a member of my sons church, just moved from Texas, had 2 Echo CS 400's brand new still in case. Wants to sell them. I wasn't interested at first, but he kept dropping the price. So I bought them. Then I thought of this thread.....OH MAN! Did I just by stolen stuff, I dont think so..............I better check. Nope! He is legit, just another broke landscaper that went crazy with the credit card. He was hurting real bad and was asking around at the church if any body was interested, they all know me from my son, so everyone told him to find me. Of course he wanted a job aswell, at 5'6" and 275-300lbs, I dont think so! Got both saws for 150. Not sure what to do with them, maybe a gift to someone?
Oh well, I put some food on the table for a needy family. At his size, I hope the kids got to eat!

Good for you sgrbeans. Echos are good saws; let a groundie ruin those instead of one of your better saws. Put it on e-bay, and make some money.

I can't tell you how many times my decisions have been influenced by what I read here at AS.

Guys I can go one better than this. I bought a BRAND NEW HT131 Pole saw from an apparently reputable dealer whose name I will refrain from using as I haven't finished with them yet. 4 months of use and the chain stops spinning engine still running ? What happened there I said. I take it to another dealer, with whom I use quite often , it turns out the Stihl reps are there during the dismantle. The rep say's Hey what's this HT75 pole doing in this HT 131 saw? They asked me if I had done any work on the saw. Work on the saw who me? No that's why it's here I get you to work on saw. It appears that somebody as.holes put a 5 year old pole in my new saw! Now I'm pissed I make some inquiries it seems the as.holes registered the warranty in Jan. and I bought it in Mar. Does not take more than a couple brain cells to figure this out I said to myself. I am definitely not done with this one. Savoy equipment sucks oh did I say that. My bad.

I got to use the MS-460 Magnum today. It's a nice saw, and pulls the 36" bar better than I thought it would. The bucking spikes are too puny for my preference. It's not as fast cutting as my bigger saws, but a heck of a lot lighter.

I'm going to give it a 28" bar, and let one of my 066's have a bar. Really, I was as interested in getting the 36" bar as I was the 460, 'cause I already have plenty of saws.

Back