I bought the wrong saw (ms250) Now what??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W321shark

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all I am new here but have always been an avid outdoorsman. I recently (about a month ago) took my first plunge into the world of saws and bought an MS 250 from a local dealer. I bought it as an excuse to clear up some small pines after a storm. Well I am now cutting firewood for my family as well as the whole neighborhood it seems and the little 250 isn’t cutting it, literally. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do dealers buy back saws or offer credit towards other saws? I have ran my 250 sun up to sundown for the past week and realize I could have cut that time in half with a more powerful saw. Also saw suggestions are welcomed. Leaning towards an MS 261 if I cannot recoup any of the money spent on the 250. Also I should note the dealer told me to buy a bigger saw when I got the 250. Should have listened. Thanks!

File the takers down.... It's to maintain the tooth cutting angle, or bite.
Over file them, and the saw gets jumpy.
I honestly suggest you watch YouTube vids, on this, and have your dealer do it a few times. I grew up cutting firewood with a bow saw. So, I love chainsaws!
N

What kind of firewood? Hardwood or more pine? How big is the wood? Are you cutting 12-16"+ wood with the saw?
It may be you just need a bigger saw. Dealers don't usually buy used saws, just like they don't sell used saws. Your best bet is sell it at a loss on Craigslist or eBay.
60cc is a good 1-saw plan. If you keep the 250, a good 2-saw plan is 50cc for light and small stuff, and 70cc for big stuff.

Yeah I don’t think I need a much longer bar 20” would be good I think and the option to go longer would be nice as well. And yeah 2 saws would be good. Sprocket went out on the 250 today (warranty issue so not out the cost of that repair thankfully) and it sucked just being dead in the water trying to buck the last of my wood before a storm rolled in.

And id say most dealers wont buy a saw back since the mechanic would have to cheak it over and at a 75$ hr charge rate i could be doing beter things,unless if there a big dealer then no

If you like stihl get a 461, they are proven dead reliable. 25" plus bar is not a problem even with full comp, 20" bar and it'll Rip. ms362 is cheaper and handles a 20" bar w/ full comp no problem. Go with the ms461 and you'll be set for many years to come. Just clean the air filter often...

Anyone have any particular saw recommendations? Or a good starting point. Thanks

Echo 590 or Husqvarna 555 or 365. Those would be the best new "budget" options. The 555 and 590 would run pretty close to an ms362 and be a fair amount cheaper. The 365 is a 70cc saw, so it'll have more power, but be heavier.

Personally I wouldn't consider buying a clamshell saw new, not for over $200 anyway. If I wanted a super lightweight saw I might consider a 170 or something. But the 291/311/391 saws are a waste of money in my opinion. Yes, they'll cut a lot of wood, but there are MUCH better saws out there for the money.

How about a husqvarna 465 or a Stihl 391. Both are the biggest (65cc) in the mid range. Both are in the $450-$550 range depending on dealer. Both will pull a 24” bar well. There a little bit on the heavy side, but if you want power and light weight, then you in the pro model price range.

Back