I call B.S. on Stihl. My dyno doesn't lie. MS 461 is king over MS 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In just the 046 alone, the amount of cylinder changes were staggering. Port timing, shapes, transfer shapes and sizes, combustion chamber shapes and sizes all changed during the years, and not just from manufacturing variance. But in my findings, the earliest 046 cylinders had all the right stuff and were head and shoulders above the rest. But u gotta know what to look for. ;)

The 066 differences are even more nutz. I'd go into detail here, but I'd need a page or so for just the flywheel/coil combinations. The cylinders on em now are just a shadow of what they used to be. Way, way, way different. Again, the stock redlight 066 will absolutely dog walk a stock 660. Ask Randy about the one I built him back in the day.... ;)

The 044 secrets I'm keeping to myself. :laugh:

The muffler covers, I agree. EPA all the way. Carb limiters too, but they didn't just slap limiters on em, lots of internal changes too....

Finding a 10mm 044 is always a good start .... especially since I don't have the depth of knowledge you have regarding them! With a dp and HD-2 filter, they almost run like a ported saw. Just today I let a local pro who was doing work w/a 460 2 houses down try my 044, and he said it was stronger than his 460. Then I let him try my ported 046 ... he was impressed!

The difference is, the 044 impresses w/o being ported!

In just the 046 alone, the amount of cylinder changes were staggering. Port timing, shapes, transfer shapes and sizes, combustion chamber shapes and sizes all changed during the years, and not just from manufacturing variance. But in my findings, the earliest 046 cylinders had all the right stuff and were head and shoulders above the rest. But u gotta know what to look for. ;)

The 066 differences are even more nutz. I'd go into detail here, but I'd need a page or so for just the flywheel/coil combinations. The cylinders on em now are just a shadow of what they used to be. Way, way, way different. Again, the stock redlight 066 will absolutely dog walk a stock 660. Ask Randy about the one I built him back in the day.... ;)

The 044 secrets I'm keeping to myself. :laugh:

The muffler covers, I agree. EPA all the way. Carb limiters too, but they didn't just slap limiters on em, lots of internal changes too....

I vote sticky:rock:

Tired of 10mm,HD-2,DP cover:dizzy:

Educate me on 064 diff:bowdown:

Ran four saws on the dyno this evening. I did the banana stuffed 261 cm again against my bananaless 261cm up to 13k this time. I smell like a chainsaw and I'm Tuckered out so the calculations and line graph will have to wait till tomorrow.

Please let us know if you start a new thread, I don't like to miss your posts. And thanks for all the good work, we appreciate it. (U R like a Chainsaw Rock Star, right in there w/the builders)!

Tired of 10mm,HD-2,DP cover:dizzy:
I know, right! :rolleyes:
064 with kolbenschmidt cylinder = best of the best...
I agree... :laugh:

Mine's got some of those bananas everyone keeps talking about, too... :rock:
image-jpg.362154

Latest posts

Back