I cant believe it mad it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was cutting a triaxal load of poles My saw locked up. I worked the crank back and fourth by the flywheel it suddenly came free. In restarted it and continued to cut about 6 more chords the job was completed. I decided to take the saw apart to see what happened. The piston circlip came out and appearantly went out the exhaust. I put in two new clips and all is well. The girl has cut much more wood after this happened . It is a Jonsered 2159. Ithink the clip got ground to powder. There is a small gouge at the bottom of the cylinder.

I was cutting a triaxal load of poles My saw locked up. I worked the crank back and fourth by the flywheel it suddenly came free. In restarted it and continued to cut about 6 more chords the job was completed. I decided to take the saw apart to see what happened. The piston circlip came out and appearantly went out the exhaust. I put in two new clips and all is well. The girl has cut much more wood after this happened . It is a Jonsered 2159. Ithink the clip got ground to powder. There is a small gouge at the bottom of the cylinder.
You are VERY lucky mate

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah na, the clip isn't powder- it might be in the muffler- or in the crankcase waiting its time to bite you in the arse.

Was it a factory clip, or had you added an aftermarket piston at some stage?

For future reference- if a saw suddenly locks up when you are using it, giving it a wiggle and starting it up again is probably a bad idea. This could have gone a whole lot worse for you.

Yeah na, the clip isn't powder- it might be in the muffler- or in the crankcase waiting its time to bite you in the arse.

Was it a factory clip, or had you added an aftermarket piston at some stage?

For future reference- if a saw suddenly locks up when you are using it, giving it a wiggle and starting it up again is probably a bad idea. This could have gone a whole lot worse for you.
OEM the saw has never been apart before failure

The old clip must have been ejected out the exhaust port then.
They run real good as a 357, had my own one like that for a while- it had that many hours on it the piston skirt was getting paper thin. At the time I could not find a new piston locally, so put a meteor 357 top end on instead.
Recently found a new OEM piston, so put it back to 2159 with the old cylinder.
One day I will find a toasted 2159/359 to put the 357 head on.

Back