I did it my self

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a guy doing it himself....LOLOLOLOLOLOL I wonder how much he saved??...but, I did it myself?

I hope this guy puts out some more "how to fell a tree on a house" vids...priceless

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9JH3Xec6tjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

let me see if i understand the logic coming out of you guys

OP did the job successfully, didnt hurt himself, anyone else, or destroy his home in the process
he saved himself a ton of money, had fun, obtained some cool gear, and learned a lot along the way

instead of saying "hey nice job bud", like most normal human beings would do, you pick him apart and post videos of completely unrelated incidents where idiots cutting trees ended in disaster ?

some of you put the i in idiots

We gave him all the ada boys and nice jobs 11 and 12 pages ago, if you look 2 years ago he was getting bids on here, and great he did it himself, and it is posted in Homeowner Helper Forum, he is an engineer, and in good shape, but the ugly remarks started when OP debated about puting others,trees,houses, and persons at risk, with out Insureance, and proper gear and training,not only in removal but in PHC and risk asessment, we all drive by the guy with a wild thing and a power pruner and a jalopy truck hacking trees that take a life time to grow and would have been around 3-5 generations, the home my Dad built in east texas was surounded by 2nd generation 70-100 year old pines and one long leaf that was there in the galveston hurricane, the new owners should have bought out on the prairie were there were no trees, the trees had stood through a centuries worth of huricanes and storms and tornadoes, but they were causing a little algie on the facia board #$% 10 percent bleach and water, dont kill that many trees, was real bummer going back to home town and seeing the stump field with the lone house up on the hill that was once graced by century year old long leaf pines,I am not up on all the cut tree down ask why later,may try study trees and offering knowledge as to why you have security or danger in a specific tree, what are the true benifits verses liabilities of the tree,
I don't go to sites where engineer's hang out and brag that I designed and built my chipper dump, or my chain saw scooter, my dump plat form under my 3/4 ton,or my ecomods on my honda insight, and when I did they were less tolerent and more belittling than any tree man or Arborist could be even if he tried, believe me my Dad was a Mechanical Engeneer. and he talked above and down to everyone and let you know that you didnt understand,in Laymens terms, stick to what you specialize in. do one trade and excell at that not a jacklegofall.
Have a safe day Paul

"Jack leg of all" jacklegofall or "jackle go fall" which ever shoe fits,
read the whole post all 13 pages, the true Arborist on this site have been very supportive while still stating that tree injuries and fatalities are high enough and not to incourage the average HO to attempt such a project,
Paul

U guys are not seeing the point

Again, it never ceases to amaze me, go to Arborist site and argue with them. I like how the OP see's our point, but ya'll don't.
Not knocking him for the job he did at HIS house, but before he goes out to help a buddy, he needs to get some seat time with a vet. There are things books and forums cant teach. Easy trees are ............ easy. He jumps into something that has some tricky situations, he doesn't have exp to recognize them. Its a safety thing, not an ego thing. I could care less if he turns this into biz or chooses to do it for free,this is America after all, as long as he does it safe. What many do not understand is that whenever there is a serious tree accident. it goes to ANSI, they in turn add it into the statistics, the same stats that the insurance company's uses to rape the biz owner with outrageous rates. So, in a nutshell, when a HO gets hurt or killed, it hurts the industry. Its not fair, but it is the way it goes. So we do have a vested interest in what peeps do with trees, plus, we, as simple as it can get, just don't want to see anybody get hurt. Most tree accidents are preventable and anybody who has done this for any amount of time has seen plenty of blood. Pros still get hurt,even with all the gear and exp, HO 's, however, often get hurt really bad or worse killed. Again, no egos, just genuine concern from those who do this day in and day out, just some are a little harsh as compared to the rest.

Last edited:
Again, it never ceases to amaze me, go to Arborist site and argue with them. I like how the OP see's our point, but ya'll don't.
Not knocking him for the job he did at HIS house, but before he goes out to help a buddy, he needs to get some seat time with a vet. There are things books and forums cant teach. Easy trees are ............ easy. He jumps into something that has some tricky situations, he doesn't have exp to recognize them. Its a safety thing, not an ego thing. I could care less if he turns this into biz or chooses to do it for free,this is America after all, as long as he does it safe. What many do not understand is that whenever there is a serious tree accident. it goes to ANSI, they in turn add it into the statistics, the same stats that the insurance company's uses to rape the biz owner with outrageous rates. So, in a nutshell, when a HO gets hurt or killed, it hurts the industry. Its not fair, but it is the way it goes. So we do have a vested interest in what peeps do with trees, plus, we, as simple as it can get, just don't want to see anybody get hurt. Most tree accidents are preventable and anybody who has done this for any amount of time has seen plenty of blood. Pros still get hurt,even with all the gear and exp, HO 's,
however, often get hurt really bad or worse killed. Again, no egos, just genuine concern from
those who do this day in and day out, just some are a little harsh as compared to the rest.

Well why the hell didn't you just say that to begin with. Now I see your point:D

I get that point. Like i said he should know enough to know when to say know. Afterall, its not very neighborly to say u can help someone and then crush their deck with a tree or hurt somebody. That doesnt change the fact that there is excesive ego and attitude amongst a large portion of the pros on this site. Some are very wise and helpfull, some are complete jerks, but i guess thats the case everywhere. Im an electrician and i tell you what, some sparkys can be complete jerks when somebody asks for encouragement.
I just think some guys here have the attitude that knowbody else can do this stuff and they are superior. It gets old.

I get that point. Like i said he should know enough to know when to say know. Afterall, its not very neighborly to say u can help someone and then crush their deck with a tree or hurt somebody. That doesnt change the fact that there is excesive ego and attitude amongst a large portion of the pros on this site. Some are very wise and helpfull, some are complete jerks, but i guess thats the case everywhere. Im an electrician and i tell you what, some sparkys can be complete jerks when somebody asks for encouragement.
I just think some guys here have the attitude that knowbody else can do this stuff and they are superior. It gets old.

Its not about knowbody else can do this stuff, its about safety, when somebody goes out and buys climbing gear and going to take down there tree's and some neighbors tree's I just cringe, because I know how crazy dangerous this line of work is...so many people get hurt just using a chainsaw on the ground, just think about being way up in a tree....my wife works for sutter hospital, so I here about alot of chainsaw related injury's...

I don't see it that way. It's more like they do this everyday and know how dangerious it can be even when you have experience. This guy put himself and his property at risk because of his ego then comes to a pro forum and tells about it. We really shouldn't be encouraging him. I have no problem with him doing this work or wanting to turn his adventure into a business, but get some formal training and experience first. Ignorance and overconfidence can be a killer in this industry.

Just my opinion.

i am not saying that it is not safe or that anybody can do it. i have no problem with what you are saying. i dont know how to say that.
i climb part time and am a newb for sure but i certainly know the danger of this work. i went the route of working under a vet to learn the ropes before i tackled anything big on my own. whenever i am not sure i call in backup to give a hand or just advice. A lot of guys have been helpful here. HOWEVER, there are also guys that jump the gun and want to tell you WILL damage property and hurt somebody. in short they they think they are superior and that you must be an idiot.
here are some examples:
"I have no problem with HO's doing work on their own property. That lessens the risks of their inexperience to the rest of us. DON'T go doing it for others! If someone wants to kill/injure themselves or damage their own property, that's called Darwin. When you do it to someone else, that's stupidity."

"glad you pulled it off, well done, what was your plan if you crippled yourself?"

" I hope you have a good checking accout to pay for damage when you do screw up."

this is just a few. i am not saying you all do. im not saying you do. i am saying there are a lot of bad attitudes and i think a lot of people will agree with me.

"glad you pulled it off, well done, what was your plan if you crippled yourself?"

" I hope you have a good checking account to pay for damage when you do screw up."

Well, maybe I wouldn't have put it quite like that but come on, we all know those things are reality in this business and you try to beat the odds with training and experience. These guys are just telling it like it is.

"I have no problem with HO's doing work on their own property. That lessens the risks of their inexperience to the rest of us. DON'T go doing it for others! If someone wants to kill/injure themselves or damage their own property, that's called Darwin. When you do it to someone else, that's stupidity."

" I hope you have a good checking accout to pay for damage when you do screw up."

this is just a few. i am not saying you all do. im not saying you do. i am saying there are a lot of bad attitudes and i think a lot of people will agree with me.

Statement #1: Simple truth. I give him full credit for taking on a difficult project in a field he has no experience in. The problem is he is developing an ego and is taking unnecessary risks with others. I will reiterate the fact that this is America and an individual can take all the risks they want as long as it does not endanger others. With his lack of experience and attitude about being a "bad a$$ tree guy," he is taking reckless chances involving others in this.

Statement #2: I did not say this, but it is a very good point. I've been in this long enough to see a lot of guys from all skill levels get hurt, crippled or killed. Having a big ego or lack of experience significantly raise the odds of something bad happening. I bid removing an oak limb for a homeowner for $175. Even though I was the low bid, he still thought it was too expensive. Being a DIY guy, he rented an extension ladder. The limb knocked the ladder out from underneath him. He fell about 20 feet, broke both legs and shattered his hip socket. Lost a few months of work, nearly went bankrupt, lives with daily pain and still can't walk right. All to save $175. This is just one anecdotal story illustrating the consequences of reckless behavior.

Statement #3: We professionals have something that homeowners don't: commercial liability insurance. Should I flatten a house or injure someone, my insurance covers it. Should Beav flatten homeowner B's house or injure someone else, Beav's checkbook and assets are the only insurance policy. Sure, homeowner B's insurance may cover it initially, but they can go after Beav for negligence. Not to mention Homeowner B can sue Beav, leaving him in financial ruin.

I'm not trying to flaunt an ego. As I mentioned in a previous post, you never know everything in this business. You are ALWAYS learning and advancing your skills. I'm just telling it like it is. This is extremely dangerous work, one of the most deadly in the country. There is no room for egos or reckless chances. IMHO, performing this work for others because you show them pictures and you think you're a "bad a$$ tree guy" without proper experience, training and insurance is reckless. I hope he is never injured in this line of work, or ever for that matter.

IMHO, performing this work for others because you show them pictures and you think you're a "bad a$$ tree guy" without proper experience, training and insurance is reckless. I hope he is never injured in this line of work, or ever for that matter.

couldnt agree more.

Yesterday I ran to my garage and got on my bicycle. I then rode to the mailbox and back to the garage. I the immediatly jumped into my bathtub. Just so you guys know I am now a Badass Triathelete

Big island home owner killed last week when a 30' tree fell on him. The small tree fell on his head impaling him with a stub.

An engineering background is sweet to have in the tree industry. Have you ever seen the killer scaffolding they build next to the tree to cut em down.

This thread is burning out. NO.NO side jobing, just doit on the weekend, I like to cut trees its cool, idiot can do a technical removal. :clap:

And they can't fall big trees.....blah blah blah:msp_rolleyes:

Climb the hell out of your trees . Take your saws all and wreck it. Save $200. Prune that huge apple tree. I give you the big Thumbs up.

You'll get away with it more if the trees are safer but remember this you run a saw in a tree and your time is # weeken worrior. The trees that guy cut made me give him a thumbs up. The same thumbs up I give a tourist when I see them catch a wave that could kill them. They get a lucky swirl of water that's stops them from braking their neck. They pop up and smile. They go home and brag about surfing. What they don't see is the ambulance at that beach 3 times a week hauling the unfortunate off.:clap:

I gave him a thumbs up. Next time he comes here I'll take him surfing he sounds pretty lucky.

Next thing you know, he'll be reading a book and teaching himself to fly!

Actually, flying is pretty easy--just like driving. The difficult part is landing. Supposedly, the terrorists who flew into the twin towers learned by playing Microsoft Flight Simulator. If you've ever played that game like I have, you would probably agree with me that it's entirely possible...especially when you don't have to worry about the takeoff or the landing.

But to get back to the OP, I commend beav700 for doing this project. We hire professionals for safety and peace of mind and even the professionals mess up every now and then--they make a good excuse to blame someone else when things go south.

I also agree he had luck on his side. I know I did when I tackled 5 half-dead trees between my and my neighbor's property (he helped with the guide ropes). However, I had two other guys helping me. I didn't jump in blind but I was really not much more than a beginner (felled trees before but in the woods--some tricky, not next to houses). Although I did clean the area up after each tree.

I took a risk. A risk between my property, my neighbor's property, and my life and somewhat (small chance tree could have fell on them if they tripped) the lives of my friends/neighbor who helped. Was it worth it? It got the trees down with no damage or injury so in hindsight, it was worth it.

Although I would have never tackled the same job beav700 did. He's got some big ones.

Actually, flying is pretty easy--just like driving. The difficult part is landing. Supposedly, the terrorists who flew into the twin towers learned by playing Microsoft Flight Simulator. If you've ever played that game like I have, you would probably agree with me that it's entirely possible...especially when you don't have to worry about the takeoff or the landing.

Actually they attended different flight schools around the country, and were trained in real planes. As they moved up to learning large jets in a real simulator, like Airline pilots are trained in, they showed less interest in take-offs and landing. As that isn't normal, it should have been a big red flag to the schools. As I understand it, the sim instructors complained to their bosses, but the school owners didn't care as long as the checks kept coming in.

I've been a CFI ( Certified Flight Instructor ) since 1978, and students with lots of time on MFS and no time in real airplanes are harder to teach than those that don't have previous experience on Microsoft Flight Sim. If they get time in real planes first, like enough to Solo, then MFS can be used as a practice aid. Parts of MFS are not realistic enough, and students can learn bad habits, that they then have to unlearn in real planes. If they start in real planes first, they don't seem to fall into the same trap if they later spend time on MFS.

Having said all that, I think it is just as dangerous learning treework from a book, as trying to learn flying from one.

Rick

Back