I found QuickClot @ retail finally

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newforest

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I first heard of Quick Clot in a pre-work meeting with USFS last year. It seemed like a good idea to just carry it right on my person. I have seen it mentioned here in the 'saw alone' thread (I am trying real, real hard to quit ever doing that) but not sure where else to post this, so I just started this thread, here...

They (USFS) have little saw safety kits they each carry. But someone in USFS assembles the kits, they weren't purchased retail.

I always travel too much and stay in the woods and off the computer to ever remember to get around to ordering some Quick Clot via delivery. I just want to buy things in a store, sorry 21st century.

But is seemed like such a 'good idea' product that someone would carry it somewhere - Walgreens, etc., Target, Wally World? Forestry Suppliers, I would think, the one place I do call in and order things from. A saw shop?

Never could find it retail when I would remember to ask somewhere every couple three months.

The other day in a Big Box store (Meijer's, a Midwest chain, in this case), I saw it on a display in the "Outdoors" aisle.

I bought one of these:

05170.jpg

And one of these:

300.JPG

I'll probably pick up another one of those sponge packs, they will fit in the pouch on my clearing saw harness just fine. And keep the Trauma Pak in the parts/tools/water/lunch backpack on the walk-in jobs. And then when new chaps come along for me later this fall, looks like it will fit in a pocket on them.

Life does get easier, sometimes.

Walmart has it too.

I have a bunch of the Isralli bansages and a few packs of combat gauze in one of my kits. Leftovers from a deployment.
The old school powered quick clot was done away with. Too easy for it to get in your face (it reacts to moisture)

Someone told me the old school stuff was made from ground crab shells, and could cause anaplylaxis in those with shell fish allergies, and it burnt like crazy, and was tough to clean up at er... but would stop major bleeding

JFYI, I think they they have an expiration date. (quick clot)
Also, I replace mine fairly regularly (anually) because I am not sure how sub zero affects it.

Most medical stuff has expirations, more a CYA thing. I have a big bottle of aspirin that "expired" in 1997, still works just fine.

When aspirin smells sour, it has gone rancid. Throw it out.

I know that my local grocery store carries some kind of packet that claims to stop bleeding. I haven't looked at it closely, though.

Better to forcefully pack wound with kling gauze (and really jam it in) and apply forceful direct pressure and never remove dressing against skin or you pull away clotting or use a approved tourniquet ( CAT, RATS, Swat-T)

There isn't a big box store within 100 miles of me so I order online through rescue essentials. I carry the EMS quickclot in the gauze version instead of the sponges. I like the gauze a lot more because you can pack a wound and cover irregular wounds better than with a sponge. I carry the quickclot, an Israeli bandage and a tourniquet in my chaps. I have a full jump kit in the truck stocked with everything for trauma, burns and medical in case I need it for myself or anything I come upon since I have been an emt for 14 years.

I found quickclot gauze and Israeli bandages on Amazon. Got 3 of each for about $95 total, with shipping. I hope never to use them.

I understand the powdered clot is/was an absolute beeotch to remove and the gauze waaay easier to deal with in the er or trauma centre. Like others, I keep this in a simple first aid kit that's on me when cutting. that and the mobile phone

Latest posts

Back