I have a Partner 500 that will not start ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to mention all that sealer. Clean that off and you can just use some proper sealer or make a gasket from a beer can. It is possible that all that goo is blocking the impulse.

Jeff welcome to the site!! Let me preface by saying I have no exprience what-so-ever with these saws or the 490/590 Jonsereds....however from your pics....the piston looks ok....but now I have to ask...does the inpulse corridor travel through the cyl to the base or does it get there another way?? The reason I ask is......you have about 500% more sealer than needed on that base gasket.....I have seen many many impulse corridors plugged with gasket goo.....you plug it and you will not be cutting anything. Second is that silicone????? If it is........lose it....you should never use any type of silicone sealers on a saw..you should use an anerobic sealer like Permatex 518 or Hylo-Mar that is not affected by fuel/oil and does not harden. This could well be your problem but when puting a saw into service you have to spend a few bucks on things like carb kits, fuel lines and filters as well. That's a very nice looking saw and clean too. It's a process and you have to methodically eliminate things one at a time in the proper order or you will just be chasing your tail. Pics are the ticket as we observe what you're doing rather than you explaning it to us. We'll get you going..I'm sure....

Thanks and it is permatex and the sealer is very little it is place on the outer edge as a just in case thing the bead of the stuff is about the size of a mechinical pencil lead,The impulse is a plastic tit and I was very careful not to plug it.

Are you running the correct piston for the cyinder that you have. You mentioned mixing and matching parts. Open ports Husqvarna Rancher 50 is equal to a Partner 500:clap:

Are you running the correct piston for the cyinder that you have. You mentioned mixing and matching parts. Open ports Husqvarna Rancher 50 is equal to a Partner 500:clap:

To be very honest I am not sure .the way I understand it 5000 and 500 both run the same piston the only diffrence is how the jug is ported.BY THE WAY when you guys send a reply I ma notified by my e-mail I have to go there every time ,click the link to come back to here.Is'nt there a way I can stay on the current page and see your reply

Also I will re-check the pulse port

Last edited:
To be very honest I am not sure .the way I understand it 5000 and 500 both run the same piston the only diffrence is how the jug is ported.BY THE WAY when you guys send a reply I ma notified by my e-mail I have to go there every time ,click the link to come back to here.Is'nt there a way I can stay on the current page and see your reply?

You just have to refresh the page.

Yes, the pistons are different. It will fit, but it won't run.

well I have a 500 and a 5000 piston and both look the same to me. the 5000 jug is diffrent than the 500 the 5000 is an open port the 500 is not ,but I am no expert but i believe the shop that sold me the orig 5000 told me what i just stated unless I misunderstood

Did the coil wire have the orange cover for the plug when your finger got zapped? The only reason I ask is that a plug can have great spark when it is at atmospheric pressure, but but it in compression and guess what? The electricity will want to travel to ground as easily as possible? On cars we use water out of a spray bottle to check the wires. Your finger could have caused the "ground". The other thing Id check is the "spitting" out of the carb, Id check your metering rod in the carb, its the little arm that holds the needle valve in place. Good Luck and DON'T give up

Did the coil wire have the orange cover for the plug when your finger got zapped? The only reason I ask is that a plug can have great spark when it is at atmospheric pressure, but but it in compression and guess what? The electricity will want to travel to ground as easily as possible? On cars we use water out of a spray bottle to check the wires. Your finger could have caused the "ground". The other thing Id check is the "spitting" out of the carb, Id check your metering rod in the carb, its the little arm that holds the needle valve in place. Good Luck and DON'T give up

It had the wire on it you see now and yea it shocked the hell ot of me I tried to change out the wire but could not get the other one to screw on.I do not think I touched theplug it was in the saw at the time I think i touched the wire itself.I know abour the compression thing too but what can i do i tried to change out the coil if you read the whole post you will see.

There is some confusion about open port and closed port on these saws. It seems to me that a 5000 is the same as a 500, but a 5000+ is different. Then there were apparently late model and early model 5000's and some of them were open port. I'm not sure if anyone ever really figured it out yet. And I have also seen both open and closed port 500's.

closed port 44mm piston/cylinder

jonsered490piston002.jpg

The next time you have it running for a few seconds, put your finger over the carb hole yet still allowing some air in, and see if you can then give it some throttle. If it runs better this way you know you aren't getting enough fuel.

Chances are that the induction pipe, which goes between the cylinder and the carb mount, or the impulse grommet need replacing. These are two weak points of this saw. I have included a photo which shows the black induction pipe and white impulse grommet. If they don't seal 100% the saw will have trouble running or run lean. You should really have the saw pressure/vacuum tested.

IMG_1787a.gif

I have attached a photo which shows the crankcase end of the impulse hole. (red circle).

If any of your base gasket or sealer is covering that hole, the fuel pump will not operate since it needs to receive the impulses.

IMG_1807a.gif

Hey Jeff I had read your whole thread, all 5 pages of it. Maybe you should try insulating the wire some how. But you know what? What the hell do I know? I had always thought that the 500 was open like a Husqvarna 50, While the 5000 and 5000+ were closed like the Jonsered 490. Guess not. I see you've been beating your head into the wall on this one, I know the feeling so I won't........ahh never mind. For all I know your just being sarcastic and Im taking it the wrong way. Good Luck with your saw, I always liked the look of those little Partners hope you get her running. Oh yeah, put the plug in it and hold the pull handle. Its called the drop test, easy way to check compression.

Good Luck - Matt

Latest posts

Back