I Have A Rant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sick of seeing guys on YT spraying Starting Fluid or Carb Cleaner in the saws carb to get them running. I see it in listings also on Market Place and Craig's List.
"It will run on carb cleaner."
Or " It runs with starting fluid."
It turns me against buying a used saw unless I know the person.
Rant over.

They do that on the sled forums too and I tell them DO NOT use starting fluid.

Retired guy from SE Manitoba

You saw Buckin Billy's new video?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

You saw Buckin Billy's new video?

I have watched Buckin Billy some, but I'm guessing he must have a vid out on this subject. Which I haven't seen.
I've been cutting my firewood and others for 44 years and it pains me to see guys destroy there saws.
Some that I have watched on YT were trying to be educational and they just proved how much they didn't know.
It's like they buy a saw, cut a little wood and all of a sudden they are a expert.
Clint

I have watched Buckin Billy some, but I'm guessing he must have a vid out on this subject. Which I haven't seen.
I've been cutting my firewood and others for 44 years and it pains me to see guys destroy there saws.
Some that I have watched on YT were trying to be educational and they just proved how much they didn't know.
It's like they buy a saw, cut a little wood and all of a sudden they are a expert.
Clint
His latest vid he has a 1957 mac that had sat up and instead of choking it and trying he grabs a can of cleaner and juices it...

I seen big orange spray used too. A co worker used it to start the lawn mower too. I shut my mouth, bit my tounge.

Don't most of you people buy multiple chainsaws a year? With the ever expanding chainsaws filling your ever shrinking space to store them, the longevity of a saw should be of little concern. It would be a good excuse to move on the saw with a scratch for a new shiny "same thing".

Don't most of you people buy multiple chainsaws a year? With the ever expanding chainsaws filling your ever shrinking space to store them, the longevity of a saw should be of little concern. It would be a good excuse to move on the saw with a scratch for a new shiny "same thing".
To date, I've never gotten a new-new saw and have only bought 2 saws that I didn't have to fix anything major on. All the rest of mine have been well-used, seized, blown up, left with bad gas, etc. Also, irregardless of how often saws are replaced, you want a tough, durable saw that you know you can trust. That's the reason Stihl and Husqvarna are still around and their major predecessors' (McCulloch, Pioneer, Partner, Homelite, etc) saws from 40-100 years ago are still in use in places out there and the chinese saws haven't driven all others off of the market. Those XL Homelites and 10-10 McCullochs are legendary for a reason, and that reason is "They take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!".

To date, I've never gotten a new-new saw and have only bought 2 saws that I didn't have to fix anything major on. All the rest of mine have been well-used, seized, blown up, left with bad gas, etc. Also, irregardless of how often saws are replaced, you want a tough, durable saw that you know you can trust. That's the reason Stihl and Husqvarna are still around and their major predecessors' (McCulloch, Pioneer, Partner, Homelite, etc) saws from 40-100 years ago are still in use in places out there and the chinese saws haven't driven all others off of the market. Those XL Homelites and 10-10 McCullochs are legendary for a reason, and that reason is "They take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!".
I've only bought two lately. A XL-12 for $70 (I ran 3 tanks of gas through it today) and a Pro Mac 700. Other than dressing the guide bars and I replaced one O-ring on the XL-12 oiler, they are good saws.
I like the PM 700 so well I'm looking for a 10-10S. The XL-12 is a screaming wild bad A$$ saw. It's the old blue one and makes my red one look sick. Someone may have done something inside.
So got lucky twice.
Clint

Back