I just saw TWO Jonsered diesels!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Reaction score
Just got back from the Jonsered gurus house. He got both my 49sp's running like champs. His personal saw collection mumbers OVER 250! His collection is mostly european with about 50 Jonseys. He has TWO diesel Jonsereds. One saw has a propane tank in the handle which is sued with a match to start a fire to warm the glow plug! His other diesel saw has a safer electric glow plug. He has asked me not to give his name or location.

Howdy sedanman

Thankyou for saving my XXX, as some of these guys simply did not believe that there was such a thing as a diesel chainsaw! Your friend has a couple of the rarest; right up there along with an original first series Stihl, made in Vancouver Canada! He can name his price! I assume he got these over in Europe at the cost of some great extracted favor.

He had best keep quite about that original with the propane start. The Forest Service would send out the shock troops to make sure that thing never got out in the woods! It could start a fire in a soggy forest in Finland.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Walt, His collection is amazing! It includes Stihl BL,BLK and contra. A pair of solo twin cylinder saws. A t least 30 Huskys including A see-thru dealer display saw (I don't know which model).He has saws from Russia, Ya-bo's, more Jonsereds than I've ever seen in one place in my life. Many saws I've not seen before. He has Wright reciprocating saws. A lot of early Homelites, zips,buzz's,Whizz's etc. A TON of early Mac's including a counterbalanced twin that uses one cyl as a supercharger for the other (recalled saw VERY rare survivor). I wish I was as good with digital pictures as Gypo Logger is, I'd post a pile of pictures.

Almost forgot! The wildest thing I saw today was Jonsered (didn't catch the model my head was spinning) with, get this, an engine powered felling bag/wedge. There was a bag which you inserted into the kerf, bag was attached to a hose, which was attached to a valve at the upper left side of the cylinder. Opening the valve would fill the bag with compression gas and supposedly knock the tree down. The system on this saw appears never to have been used. I would imagine the idea was a flop as I've never heard of it before today.

It is probably just like what we use on the fire dept to roll cars over, only smaller. We have a two stroke engine which used hydraulic lines hooked to a valve near the bag and they can generate a tremendous lifting force.

Speaking of ring saws, I've got 2 Sally saws that I'm trying to find some history and Literature on. Any info would be greatly appreciated.;) I also heard that the guys at Tilton Corp have a Diesel Jonsered still in the original box sitting on a shelf somewhere, They picked it up from the bag and drag program so I've heard. can you believe it....

Howdy Sedanman,

That strange name you have there should be Jobu, which was a Norwegian manufacturer of good quality units. They were bought out as part of the Electrolux aquisition assault, and off'd immediately.

The balancing piston McCulloch, was the very rare indeed BP-1 McCulloch. This saw had a huge number of radical innovations, many years ahead of their time! It used a topsharpening scratch type chain and had a powered grinding wheel behind the drive sprocket. The thing cut like a banshee! Problem was, the supercharged engine would hit 15,000 RPM, and this was a McCulloch. It would run like hell for a short period of time, and then grenade seriously. McCulloch made a serious attempt to get everyone back, (which is why they are rare) and buried them in a big hole, and filled it with concrete! A few people saw McCulloch comming and hid the saws in basements and holes in the ground, until the coast was clear. This was the source of the collectors remains of this model. Literally, McCulloch representative went around physically retrieving these!

The tree jack air bag was marketed by Jonsereds for a while in Europe, but only a few were sold in N. America. The problem was our guys would saw into it, or try to use it to throw a 6 foot diameter tree. The thing was intended for the little squirrel ladders in Scandanavia, it just did not have a prayer over here.

The saws from Russia would be Druzhba, first made in the mid '50's but continued unchanged up to date. They were made for use in Siberia and China. The only other Russian saw was later, and was the Ural, which was an exact copy of a Partner P100. The other saws in the East Block were either western saws, or TOMOS made in Yugoslavia licensed from Husqvarna. Normally model 65, but later models were tried at the last.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Back