I like to climb for pleaser ;)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidBrown1212

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What would be the best belay system to use when supporting a free old-school style in which you climbed as if there was no rope. Is there a term for that? Sometimes a tree with a bole of a large diameter and high canopy I climb the rope, but without knots. My goal is just climb, as free as possible, but of coarse I would not go up without a lifeline. Can Industrial fall arrest devices be used?

I have no idea about the the things that you are asking about but i know that climbing tree with out rope is dangerous because some trees are not too strong that they can afford the wait of any thing as you have seen.

Let me pose the question sober: How can I climb while have having a partner on the ground belay me safely?

If you climb that way you still have two problems:
1. Installing the rope
2. Protecting the branch (the rope will dig into the branch and damage the cambium as you climb)

Or you're essentially talking about lead climbing with ground belay rock climbing style. Again, this is a terrible way to climb trees, ie: a great way to get hurt.

Get the Tree Climber's Companion and start learning about proven and safe ways to climb trees with rope and harness.
-moss

Moss is one of the best recreational climbers I have heard and as usual he gave you good advice. If your doing it for fun do it safely, there is nothing fun about a trip to er.

The er is a bummer of an afternoon. I fell three feet till I was caught by line, enough to develop a wound worthy of a halve dozen stitches from panic-scramble
:cry:

The er is a bummer of an afternoon. I fell three feet till I was caught by line, enough to develop a wound worthy of a halve dozen stitches from panic-scramble
:cry:

Maybe this should be a wake up call? perhaps you should reevaluate your technique/priorities or seek professional instruction in proper climbing techniques

Back