I like to climb for pleaser ;)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidBrown1212

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What would be the best belay system to use when supporting a free old-school style in which you climbed as if there was no rope. Is there a term for that? Sometimes a tree with a bole of a large diameter and high canopy I climb the rope, but without knots. My goal is just climb, as free as possible, but of course I would not go up without a lifeline. Can Industrial fall arrest devices be used?

What would be the best belay system to use when supporting a free old-school style in which you climbed as if there was no rope. Is there a term for that? Sometimes a tree with a bole of a large diameter and high canopy I climb the rope, but without knots. My goal is just climb, as free as possible, but of course I would not go up without a lifeline. Can Industrial fall arrest devices be used?

Ground anchored single rope. Put a Grigri or similar device (I'D, Rig, Eddy, Cinch etc.) on the rope. Attach yourself to the Grigri and climb. You MUST take up slack constantly as you climb. There is no forgiveness. If you shock load the system (fall on slack) you will have several options to break your body not to mention damage the rope, mechanical device or tree limbs/branches. It doesn't take much slack to generate high load factors.

Using industrial fall arrest or rock climbing strategies are invalid, there is no room for dynamic fall arrest in tree climbing. Limbs below you don't care if you're on a dynamic fall arrest system, they'll still whack you much harder than a big first baseman with a baseball bat.

Research all the load considerations for using ground anchored SRT systems. You have to learn how to assess limb strength before attempting.

Learn how to rappel on your Grigri or other device before climbing to height.

Bear in mind that learning to climb with accepted rope and harness tree climbing techniques will give you more freedom in a tree than you can ever have doing a backed-up free climb. Good technical tree climbers utilize skills they learned free climbing, coupled with rope technique the possibilities are endless.
-moss

Last edited:
As Moss mentioned slack management is crucial. The acceleration associated with a free fall of even a few feet can cause damaging injuries. I wouldn't even think about using standard construction type fall arrest equipment for tree climbing.

Latest posts

Back