I need good rope for pulling trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i have an older Willy’s stump pulling Jeep a 1955/cj 5 4 cylinder 134F head. I boxed the frame with 3/8” front to rear for strength and added weight, I added two Detroit lockers f&r with 5:38-1 gears. And four sets of ice cross link wrecker tire chains. Now I have some pretty large n tall trees to drop. I’m thinking about pulling them in the direction they need to go. What rope should I purchase? Diameter? Strength? Length? Is the rope at tractor supply good enough?

Or should I jack them? One ash tree is very large at the base. I understand how to jack them with a hydraulic jack. I have power lines nearby.

Or how much would a pro charge to put them on the ground? Just one tree?

Subscribed

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Best advice I’d give is if you’re asking the internet you shouldn’t be doing it. How much jacking have you done? Experience with a jack is something that is something that can’t be talked about, it’s something that’s taught and learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve done lots of felling being in the fire wood bizz. I can steer trees as they fall. But never cut trees near power lines or near houses. I just want to be safe. I have an open lot to drop it in about an acre. I have a husky 2100 with a 42” bar. I never jacked a tree but I seen it done on you tube.

My worry would be your jeep might get dragged around. But if you’re pulling in the falling direction, maybe not.

Maybe post some pics of what you’ve got. It’s hard to envision. Are you working alone or do you work with a buddy?

I’ve done lots of felling being in the fire wood bizz. I can steer trees as they fall. But never cut trees near power lines or near houses. I just want to be safe. I have an open lot to drop it in about an acre. I have a husky 2100 with a 42” bar. I never jacked a tree but I seen it done on you tube.

Doing and seeing are two different things, I’ve done my fair share of jack work it’s something to not be done by a greenhorn. Production cutting and firewood cutting are two different things as well, my point still stand if you have to ask the internet don’t do it.

Beware the Chinesium bottle jacks. My cheapies supposedly handle 12t but I found out the hard way one didn't even make it to 5t this Summer.
bentBar.jpg

i have an older Willy’s stump pulling Jeep a 1955/cj 5 4 cylinder 134F head. I boxed the frame with 3/8” front to rear for strength and added weight, I added two Detroit lockers f&r with 5:38-1 gears. And four sets of ice cross link wrecker tire chains. Now I have some pretty large n tall trees to drop. I’m thinking about pulling them in the direction they need to go. What rope should I purchase? Diameter? Strength? Length? Is the rope at tractor supply good enough?

Or should I jack them? One ash tree is very large at the base. I understand how to jack them with a hydraulic jack. I have power lines nearby.

Or how much would a pro charge to put them on the ground? Just one tree?

Sounds like you have plenty of traction to scoot in the old Willy’s, but I doubt you have enough weight to do much serious pulling.

From one firewooder to another I am going to give my standard advice: Near power lines - call the power company; ours will put it on the ground for nothing. Near a house, call an insured tree service. Though a fairly competent faller, I do both of these things. Parting with $500 for a tree I likely could fall safely always hurts (half a new saw for me), but I have never regretted it. Not sure about your area or particular tree, but $500 is what I usually pay. If there is more than one then I can usually bargain additional trees down to $200 to $300 a piece. These prices are for single cut falling. The sky is the limit with other take down methods.

Ron

I agree with skeans on this one. If you need to ask the internet maybe this is not the time or place to be tying up your jeep to a YO YO. Tying up a 5,000 jeep to a 30,000 lb tree seems a little iffy. There is always a tree near by that can be used as an achor. They are the most reliable. Some times which is not often I resort to cable. If a near by road needs to be closed for a few minutes then put up cones up and close it. I can go upto 1,500 feet if need be. I am often looking for good rigging line on sale for when I need to pull something. Since I live near the coast mooring line comes up often. I picked up some 50,000 lb test a while back when I just have to use brute force to make a tree behave. Like any thing else they wear out and get snags so they have to be replaced now and then. Thanks

So any good rope advice yet?

Im interested in knowing a good pull rope.

I like the more power puller option though.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Everything I’ve ever done with a line would be wire rope 7/8” nature or bigger do you really want to mess with big bull rope for the strength needed for the pull? How about enough weight on the ground if something shifts to not get drug along with? Smallest machine we’ve used for pulling something was a D4 tsk it weighs around 30-40k range and that was doing some smaller fir about 33” on the stump with a 150’ wind sail height.

So for the rope option, Stable Braid is very good rope. Diameter sized to what you'll be pulling. Because I have smaller trees, conifers that usually stand pretty well balanced and don't need a huge pull, I use 1/2". Depending on what you're pulling, 1/2" rope could well be insufficient. Do not mess with bargain ropes made for tying your boat to the dock.

Pulling a tree over with a vehicle . . . maybe you should watch a video or two of the rear end being hoisted into the sky and yanked back when the tree overmatches it.

Husky your question can not be answered in the way you are asking. You have implied that you want to use your older jeep that has been modified to perform a more stout application than a stock jeep. My recomendation would be to get a 100' winch line for pulling with your jeep. As Skeans has mentioned he uses something in the 7/8'' range for pulling trees. A high quality 7/8'' line will be more than you need with your jeep. I use Blue Ox 12 strand at 150' from Amazon some times. It is popular and inexpensive for a 1/2'' line. If you are going to climb with some line and lower branches down then the Blu Ox is fine. If you want to pull with your jeep use some thing else. Many years ago I tied up my Bronco to a tree using some 1 1/4'' line thinking for sure this would get me going, but no the back of the Bronco got lifted up a few feet. Experience is a great teacher. In my case any flimsy line would have been good to use so that when the load became too great the line would have broken. My Bronco being flipped around could have caused me a great deal of problems because I really needed it at the time. Thanks

I guess the best advise is hire a pro for felling the bigger trees?
Bill I don’t have experience with trees like that, but I agree that’s maybe a good plan. Use your equipment for after the drop and you’ll be safe and still be productive and having a good time.

I am not at all familiar with this site, people, popularity, likes or any of that.
Just want to say I'm impressed with this whole topic. My faith in the internet is hanging in there, for now lol.
Rigging gone bad can get ugly fast.
Best rope around here I know of is sold at a tool rental place.
I'm not advising, just yacking, and will now shut up.

Back