I need great watermelon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
For a long time all we got was crap for watermelon . This seedless tasteless thing needs to end then cut it up put in Tupperware what a joke . I want seeds full of falvor on the rind . I want about a 2 inch thick piece full slab with salt and spoon and seeds like it was years ago . After a hot ass day at work There are people that needs this . Were not so lazy we can't spit some seeds

Hard to find old fashioned dinosaur egg type water melons. Everything here is now seedless and tasteless. I saw them in the market about 3 years ago but I have not seen them again.

im lucky we still get full on watermellon here. i recently learned to buy the ones that have the big nasty spot on the side which indicates that it stayed on the vine longer and will have much more flavor. they are grown here so we still get em

We grow watermelon; seedless, shaded, yellow, and the dark green sugar babies. Have to agree that seedless is my least favorite, but if you let them ripen properly they can be pretty good.

The main reason we grow the big seeded ones is to pollinate the seedless ones, as they are the big seller. You can use special fruitless melon plants to pollinate but we like to have the variety for our customers.

Honestly imho the yellow dolls and sugar babies taste the best. Problem with the yellow ones is you have a very small window to pick them before they start to get pithy.

And Pbilly is on the money, a nice yellow spot where the melon sat on the ground is a good indicator of sweetness.

For a long time all we got was crap for watermelon . This seedless tasteless thing needs to end then cut it up put in Tupperware what a joke . I want seeds full of falvor on the rind . I want about a 2 inch thick piece full slab with salt and spoon and seeds like it was years ago . After a hot ass day at work There are people that needs this . Were not so lazy we can't spit some seeds
like the good ole day's pop's!!!

I am pretty good at picking out great watermelons. The spot that is sitting on the ground needs to be vanilla colored. During the summer when it is not a fire year I would pack up my stuff for cutting wood which usually included three good size. About 1 PM when cutting is supposed to stop I would pull out a watermelon from the cooler and get a big slice out to pick out the seeds. So for an our or so eat watermelon take a nap. When all the watermelon was gone I knew it was time to go back home. Of all my projects eating watermelon at the end of the day was the best thing ever. Thanks

ah-h to be young again! and summertime... school's out and watermelon on a hot July day...
1621782299035.png

I am pretty good at picking out great watermelons. The spot that is sitting on the ground needs to be vanilla colored. During the summer when it is not a fire year I would pack up my stuff for cutting wood which usually included three good size. About 1 PM when cutting is supposed to stop I would pull out a watermelon from the cooler and get a big slice out to pick out the seeds. So for an our or so eat watermelon take a nap. When all the watermelon was gone I knew it was time to go back home. Of all my projects eating watermelon at the end of the day was the best thing ever. Thanks
me, too!

thump... thump... tink! thump... thump... tink! thump... thump... tink!

here, this one! should be perfect....

ice cold watermelon is :numberone:
1621782523306.png

I love yellow water mellon. I have never been able to grow a mellon, not enough rain I guess. Had a bolw of mellon last night. Its a wonder My heart doesn't bust because I put a ton of salt on mellow.
me, neither! but they grow well here. i never put salt on any watermelon, but like a dash on cantelope....

Texas watermelon field
1621782758724.png

im lucky we still get full on watermellon here. i recently learned to buy the ones that have the big nasty spot on the side which indicates that it stayed on the vine longer and will have much more flavor. they are grown here so we still get em
that's how i do my homegrown tomatoes... reddish on vine and pick. let ripen on kitchen counter. ... til first spot shows up. that is as ripe as it is going to be. at that point :numberone: but usually, anything reasonably red is great, too... i put up 50 quarts couple years ago. still tasty as ever! :yes:

1621783137264.png

Latest posts

Back