I NEED HELP! in more ways than one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I taught myself to paraglide, used to ice climb and solo rock climb, raced F3 for years, have ridden gp bikes, climbed and dismantled trees in 85mph winds. Dumb crap for thrills has its limits. Its not the very limited range of what you know that could kill you, its what you have no idea about and cant comprehend at this stage that could leave your house flattened and your family mourning your loss. TimberMcPherson Now I've heard and seen some things in the tree bis but climbing and cutting in that kind of wind sounds out their to me. I have have a problem cutting in 25 mph wind while in a tree...

Last edited:
Well, Hello everyone who has stuck around to see what has transpired.

I am still alive, I have however been practicing how to climb. WOW this is.....I will agree A LOT harder than it looks.
I have been climbing short heights just to tie off some trees to down them.
My legs are killing me. I think I maybe to old and heavy to do this.

I have to and do respect all of you who do this for a living.

I am at the point where i'm pretty sure I will be staying on the ground and sticking to only trees that I know I can take down without risking my life.

OK.

YES, The trees are still standing!

Now............ I'm ready for the I told you so's.

Your decision to NOT take them down yourself proves you don't fit into that other popular thread, "You May Be A Hack If..." GREAT decision! Glad you are still around to respond...

Honestly I kinda wish more home owners would try it!! that way when they get a bid they think is too high they`ll understand!! give ya props though you tried & now you have a better understanding of whats involved!!

Be Safe, Take Care

LXT..............

i agree 100% lxt!

Honestly I kinda wish more home owners would try it!! that way when they get a bid they think is too high they`ll understand!! give ya props though you tried & now you have a better understanding of whats involved!!

Be Safe, Take Care

LXT..............

slyder,you have my respect.i know how hard it is to hire someone when you are used to handling everything yourself.we all have limits and i applaud you for finding out what yours are and admitting it.keep climbing,your muscles will get used to it and stronger.i started climbing at 37 which everyone said was too old.i said hogwash.now guys i know in the business can't believe how well i do it for such a short time doing it.one woman told me i was in no way a tree climber,i was too big.again,i said hogwash.if you want to do it bad enough,you will find away. all i ask is you be careful,you can't impress anyone when your dead.i know my limits to this day.i have fears such as dead wood and insects and varmints but it keeps me from getting complacent like AxeKnot.

Hey guys, I am curious how these numbers get thrown around and how you come up with your quotes. I assume that everyone who is a pro knows what his cost of doing business is (labor, tax, insurance, equipment etc..) and you have an idea of what you want to make for profit at the end of the day. That being said what percentage profit and what percentage overhead is figured into a project?

Slyder you did the right thing...and seem to have got a work out while doing it.

Climbing is a very good work out.

Good to here you are safe.

Good luck, be safe.

You have my respect.

you kind of get used to it.

Hey guys, I am curious how these numbers get thrown around and how you come up with your quotes. I assume that everyone who is a pro knows what his cost of doing business is (labor, tax, insurance, equipment etc..) and you have an idea of what you want to make for profit at the end of the day. That being said what percentage profit and what percentage overhead is figured into a project?

you can look at a tree and figure out how many guys and what equipment you will need.what those guys expect to get paid,how much gas you will use and how time it will take.you can average them out.some are bigger or smaller of course.basically time is money.

"i have fears such as dead wood and insects and varmints but it keeps me from getting complacent like AxeKnot."

LMAO!

Slyder, Hook up with a tree guy and let him teach you for a little while. I'm doing storm work in OK. I could use you here (and teach you a little) if you wanted to come see what tree work and climbing is really all about.

Well, Hello everyone who has stuck around to see what has transpired.

I am still alive, I have however been practicing how to climb. WOW this is.....I will agree A LOT harder than it looks.
I have been climbing short heights just to tie off some trees to down them.
My legs are killing me. I think I maybe to old and heavy to do this.

Congratulations!

It sounds like you have found the current limit of your abilities. You may not see it, but this is a reason to celebrate!

When one of my guys reaches his limit, we all celebrate. This is one of the most exciting, exhilarating times for any of us. After all, this is the end of who you are and the beginning of who you are about to become! You are ready to earn your next evolution. Now that you have found your limit, you have the opportunity to push through it - using the right tools, proper training and lots of practice.

If you are frustrated or disappointed, it is because you cannot see a way to advance your skills and abilities. What you need is a mentor who can give you the tools and training you need to set higher goals and reach them.

If I were you, I would never hire anyone to take down those trees. I would keep them there as a constant reminder, a perpetual challenge. Let them inspire and drive you to climb until it no longer hurts, and to learn and train until you know enough to plan every step and cut necessary to take them down. (Also, you will probably meet a couple guys along the way who can help you out on the ground - never climb alone!)

Granted it may be quite awhile before you can do this, and you may spend more in time and equipment then it would have cost to hire the job done. However, you have before you a great opportunity for personal growth. You will have a sharper mind, a leaner, meaner body, and a sense of accomplishment which IMHO is worth far more than a couple thousand dollars.

To laugh or not to laugh

My father climbed for 45 years. I have 3 uncles and 4 cousins who have made their living from tree work. I have have been involved and doing tree work my whole life. From your comments I will have forgotten more than you will probably ever know. Please film your adventure and post it so we can all drum up more business from other homeowners.:clap:

My father climbed for 45 years. I have 3 uncles and 4 cousins who have made their living from tree work. I have have been involved and doing tree work my whole life. From your comments I will have forgotten more than you will probably ever know. Please film your adventure and post it so we can all drum up more business from other homeowners.:clap:

Perhaps one of the things that you forgot was what it was like to be a beginner in the business.

If you have that much experience, you have an obligation to give back to the industry which has supported you and your family for all these years. I'm sure this guy and others could benefit greatly from what you could teach.

I don't see any difference between this guy and many of the folks who come out to our free rec climbing days. I'm happy to welcome new climbers out to help them learn safely and gain a greater appreciation for trees. Its too bad more people don't see it this way.

Latest posts

Back