I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even worse

a few weeks ago, there was a 066 for $250, supposedly needed a new clutch.

I told him I would be right there, raced over, was 5 blocks away when his WIFE called me back & said it was sold.

Since I was so close, I stopped by to see if waving cash in front of his face would change his mind. When I pulled up, he jumped in his truck, & drove away...

brand new stihl ms440 on ebay right now

I thought i would post this because I seen a guy looking for a new ms 440 but couldnt find any at this local dealers. The item # is 250383987538, the guy states he bought 4 of them and is now selling them. the auction only lasts 12 more hours.

I often see people post stuff here that is up for auction.I only posted it to help out the guy who was looking for one. Its not like its my sale or even someone I know. Plus its not like I linked it or anything.

The auction # is enough to get anyone there. The protocol around here seems to be: ebay after the auction is over, so you don't mess up someones bidding and craigslist as soon as you see the posting because it is first come, first served.

The auction # is enough to get anyone there. The protocol around here seems to be: ebay after the auction is over, so you don't mess up someones bidding and craigslist as soon as you see the posting because it is first come, first served.

:agree2:

Its a touchy issue here at AS. I dont like it, and I dont post up auctions. Maybe send a PM out to someone that may be looking for that particular item, but never a public post.

Interesting, a 306SA with the decomp and early style muffler.

If its original, that blows my timeline theory out the window, but I'm betting the original muffler has been replaced.

Just a heads up to any who care's, it's good nobody took me up on this bet!

Seems in that cache of old IPL's I found, is a 306SA IPL showing the cast muffler on the 306SA. Not on a 245SA that I can find though.

Also, after much search, I cannot find a cylinder for this saw for the auto decomp and it seems Poulans replacement was for the cylinder with the screw in decomp, probably for the reasons Pes+ pointed out.

I did find that the regular 245A cylinder has the undrilled decomp boss on it and I found that with some innovative home machining I can drill one out to be used on this saw.

Kinda tricky so I tried it out on a unusable cylinder first and it all came out OK. Now I have a new cylinder on the way to put this saw back together to keep the green ones company.

Heres the picture of the cyl after I took it apart. I'm really surprised it made 80PSI. You can see where the rings rusted to the cyl and then it just peeled the chrome off when I broke it loose.

Strange how after setting in the Kroil oil all night I just turned the flywheel by hand (and not all that hard) to brake it loose and it done all that damage.

Did you apply heat several times in conjunction with the Kroil?

So it's likely the damage to the chrome plating occured prior to the actual unsticking of the piston then.

I've been able to avoid damage to chrome/Nikasil plating in some cases on seized modern saws with the combination of careful applications of heat with the penetrating oils. In one instance I had to use straight anti-freeze.

So it's likely the damage to the chrome plating occured prior to the actual unsticking of the piston then.

I suppose you could be right, I think it had enough water laying in the thing from the washing for a long time and it never had a chance.

Notice the rust ring all around the top of the cylinder. It had to have been there for a while.

Like I said, seems this stuff only happens to me sometimes.

On the bright side the seller was fair and would have done a complete refund, but I chose to keep it basically for the price of shipping.

i bought a pioneer saw couple months ago that arrived in a box soaked in petrol and bar oil. i have no idea how it got through the post system, then when i opened the box i found several very angry wasps inside. turned out to be a good saw when i finally evicted all the wasps.

A simple naiv question, is it possible to replate the cylinder inside with chrome or nikasil? Would it be possible to refurbish it that way? As far as I remember hard chrome plating of some parts wasn't so expensive.

U.S. Chrome is willing to replate a closed-head saw cylinder with a bore larger than 40mm....but it's expensive. Usually it's far more cost-effective to find a replacement cylinder.

Well if any cylinder was a candidate for being fit for a replate, I would think this one is would be ok.

What do you call expensive?

If and thats a big if, you can find one of these, or any other obsolete cylinder, the price that one of these NOS vendors want for one useally excedes what the saw is worth anyway.

So, expensive is relative to the owner I suppose, and how bad he wants to fix it.

Back