I suck :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I swapped my as new Ms 180 with 2 in 1 sharpener, spare new chain, trac case and full service kit for a Stihl 076 Super :)

He couldn’t pull it over any more (an older chap) and just wanted a small light limbing saw.

He wanted 500 Australian dollars or the equivalent in another saw. I offered him cash or the kit above. Everywhere is sold out of saws with Covid so he was happy, I am happy and now I have another dinosaur to admire.

We met at the stihl dealer who got it running (just needed a new fuel filter) and then we did the swap.
Will strip and clean it and check the piston. Compression is joint dislocating and besides a few cracks (one from vibrations that covers the exhaust, and one in the back of the clutch cover, so far it’s good! Will put a decomp in it and a new air filter, both on order.
Came with 25” stihl original bar and chain. 4E64814E-53A5-4899-B4F8-8010D84335E3.jpeg
Off to beg for a manual...

I swapped my as new Ms 180 with 2 in 1 sharpener, spare new chain, trac case and full service kit for a Stihl 076 Super :)

He couldn’t pull it over any more (an older chap) and just wanted a small light limbing saw.

He wanted 500 Australian dollars or the equivalent in another saw. I offered him cash or the kit above. Everywhere is sold out of saws with Covid so he was happy, I am happy and now I have another dinosaur to admire.

We met at the stihl dealer who got it running (just needed a new fuel filter) and then we did the swap.
Will strip and clean it and check the piston. Compression is joint dislocating and besides a few cracks (one from vibrations that covers the exhaust, and one in the back of the clutch cover, so far it’s good! Will put a decomp in it and a new air filter, both on order.
Came with 25” stihl original bar and chain. View attachment 831157
Off to beg for a manual...
Did he keep the boat?

Score!!
The chain brakes are rare in the US. I ran across one NOS for $275.00 and snagged it for mine. There were two different deco valves out there for those, so make sure you have the right one. - and the nose washer, or it'll leak. View attachment 831224View attachment 831225
Thanks for the info, I can only find one decomp valve made for the 076? Also the washer, seems there should be one under the plug that’s sealing it already, think it can be reused?

Keep the screws that hold on the tank snug. The starter is also on the tank and there is to much weight hanging there and they are only the smaller sized screws. Once they are stripped it is hard to get it right again.
Thanks Rupe, yes it’s literally 4 screws. With compression like this I’m surprised they didn’t beef the area up.

Thanks for the info, I can only find one decomp valve made for the 076?
There were 2 decompression valves on the 076. The old one 1111 020 9405 up to serial no. 11094220. This was replaced in 1986 with 1124 020 9400. I don`t know the difference between these two.

There were 2 decompression valves on the 076. The old one 1111 020 9405 up to serial no. 11094220. This was replaced in 1986 with 1124 020 9400. I don`t know the difference between these two.
Are serial numbers global? As in, will my saw here in Australia still be in keeping with the cutoff date you have there? My number is 114******. I called the stihl shop and said I have an 076 super can you get the decomp and they searched it and just said yes, that’s all I know. The one in the manual I have is the same as the latter number you gave. I wonder if they are the same part but the part number changed.

Also, is it as simple as taking out the plug and replacing with decomp or do I have to do something with the screws that are on the side of the cylinder?

Also, anyone got a clue what this threaded hole is for? I guess I’m missing a bolt, but the IPL I have Isn’t showing anything.

59383260-A1F9-4611-95B0-074ECA9570BB.jpeg

Latest posts

Back