I think I have a bad coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vent should allow vacuum to be drawn through the tank when testing at the carb end of the fuel line but not allow pressure to escape. Just be careful when testing in the vac position that ya don't suck a bunch o' mix into your nice new MityVac if you haven't drained the tank first.

I'm not sure when I'll test it. I threw the tank in with the spares and put it back on the shelf. When I cracked the cap or pulled the carb off there was plenty of pressure in the tank so I'm leaning towards fuel line. Hell, it could have even been pinched. I didn't pay real close attention when I pulled the tank.

I fought the 046 that I had because of a tank vent as well. Saw would start and run great then lean out on me. I rebuilt the carb, changed the hoses etc, etc. Right before I sold the saw I replaced the tank vent and she ran great after that.
lean out then cough out.
--------
And to think you could have just cracked the seal on the gas cap.
Typical symptoms of a failing vent.

lean out then cough out.
--------
And to think you could have just cracked the seal on the gas cap.
Typical symptoms of a failing vent.
I did try that. It did not help. I'm thinking bad fuel line, which I've also never seen on one of these. The dolmar rubber parts all seem to hold up pretty well.

As my 056 Stihls get older the gas cap vent becomes more problematic Yet they still catch me off guard ,, easy to get off track with a "spontaneous" thought.

Speaking of spontaneous thoughts...

There's now an aftermarket replacement for the saws that use those caps for like 10 bux from Bryce (customchainsawparts) and I think at least one other source.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-CHAI...M8AAOxyVLNS~UZ9:sc:USPSFirstClass!44074!US!-1

Some of the earlier ones are fixable depending on the vent style, but most are vented down the center of the cap with a captive pink umbrella style valve that isn't accessible to replace.

Speaking of spontaneous thoughts...

There's now an aftermarket replacement for the saws that use those caps for like 10 bux from Bryce (customchainsawparts) and I think at least one other source.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-CHAI...M8AAOxyVLNS~UZ9:sc:USPSFirstClass!44074!US!-1

Some of the earlier ones are fixable depending on the vent style, but most are vented down the center of the cap with a captive pink umbrella style valve that isn't accessible to replace.
Thanks for that Freight on the first one hurts but much moh betterer after that... Surefire way to eliminate venting issues (Until my luck steps in the way) I like the texture for grip and that will make it stand out as the aftermarket when it is needed for troubleshooting.

One of the greatest mystery saws that came to me for repair was a Husky 359 many years back when they were first released. This particular saw had multiple problems, must have been a very early Monday morning built saw. One major problem was it did not have a hole from the tank out to the vent discs, had to heat a wire and make a passage from where the discs are located to the inside of the tank. After finding a defective crank seal flywheel side, a leaking carb manifold at the cylinder, a defective carb that was missing the accelerator piston and replacing the muffler that had been lost at another repair shop I got it running for the owner. That saw is still going strong, its owned by a local guy I see often, that Mity Vac is a time saver on chainsaw repairs.
That when you switched to Stihl?

Back