I was excited about my new Holzforma 070...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macstrange

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got my 070 in the mail last week. Put my bar and chain on it, threw the milling jig on and went to work. During my 4th cut the chain stopped spinning. Took the saw out of the wood and throttled it a little. the chain moved very slightly then stopped. I'm thinking clutch issue. I'm not sure I want to send it back to China but that's probably what I'll end up doing. What do you all think the problem is? Could it be any easy fix? Otherwise, the saw seemed to run great!
Thanks for your input. Anxious to hear from ya'll

After further inspection I noticed, after locking the piston, the clutch assembly spins freely on the shaft. I'm guessing something, key way?, sheared. Thoughts?

I remember a video I saw once with someone that clearly used he's saw on a regular basis that said something about a clutch nut or something that was crap and had to be replaced, cant remember exactly but it had to do with a clutch issue, after the replacement it worked just fine.

Sounds like you got your moneys worth, it made three passes!

I'd say if he has to replace a nut to make it work he got plenty.
On the 038 mag I needed to modify the oil pump, replace the clutch springs and bar studs/nuts.
The oil pump was a joke (Hyway has a proper one), the clutch springs snapped after a couple of hours and the bar studs where way too soft.
After that it starts, throttles, runs and cuts with plenty of power... and consumes an amazing amount of fuel per minute.

.............................zip..............................After further inspection I noticed, after locking the piston, the clutch assembly spins freely on the shaft. I'm guessing something, key way?, sheared. Thoughts?

How about sharing few photos showing the problem area?

The clutch drum should turn freely when the engine is stopped.

clutch.jpg

drum.jpg

It is the spider that is spinning. I looked at a spare crank shaft I have and saw the key way on the clutch side. I'm pretty sure I sheared it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you got your moneys worth, it made three passes!
I figure, for $365.00 and free shipping, I have to replace a key, I'm doing ok. It's a bummer. I think I have it sharpened to aggressively.

The Farmertec site for 070 spare parts does not show a keyway in the clutch end of the crank, only a left handed thread.
The flywheel end clearly shows a keyway.

Are you sure there was one?

The Farmertec site for 070 does not show a keyway in the clutch end of the crank, only a left handed thread.
The flywheel end clearly shows a keyway.

Are you sure there was one?
I could be wrong. The crankshaft is for an 075. What keeps the spider from spinning?

With the Piston locked, I can spin the spider by hand and it "hangs up" at a certain point of the rotation.

I am not familiar with 075 or 070 since mine is MS660 , however most designs do not have a separate nut, instead the "nut" is part of the spider.

075 may be different and you really should open it up and see what is going on there?

OK see the post above by Ozhoo!

So , mine looks just like the one pictured, with the washer then the clutch cover plate then the nut, left hand thread. I'm guessing , now, the nut wasn't tightened down enough or backed off slightly. When I first started the saw one the bar nuts backed off completely just from idling.

You'll want to pull the clutch and inspect the crankshaft. If you ran it too long with the clutch nut loose you will have buggered up your crankshaft.
Will do. Stopped running it immediatley, so hope it's ok.

Is it the clutch shoes spinning or the sprocket?

Back