I was tired of searching for a tuning screwdriver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job clint53!! Back in Nov of 2016 I went out to my camp on a remote island. Took a little 490 with me for firewood duty. Managed to NOT pack my tuning driver and of course part way through the week she needed a little tweek. So with not much to work with and plenty of time I came up with a pretty easy solution. I hammered and filed a narrow, flat blade onto the square end of a saw file.....only took a bout 5 minutes and I had a very good tuning driver without having to remember to bring another tool!!:cheers:

IMG_0023.JPGIMG_0020.JPG

Good job clint53!! Back in Nov of 2016 I went out to my camp on a remote island. Took a little 490 with me for firewood duty. Managed to NOT pack my tuning driver and of course part way through the week she needed a little tweek. So with not much to work with and plenty of time I came up with a pretty easy solution. I hammered and filed a narrow, flat blade onto the square end of a saw file.....only took a bout 5 minutes and I had a very good tuning driver without having to remember to bring another tool!!:cheers:

View attachment 884476View attachment 884477
Great idea. I usually have one in my tool box I carry when cutting, but I will take it out at home and it never makes it back to the tool box.
I'll do the same to a file as you did and leave it in the tool box.

You brought the rust old vise but not a tiny screwdriver?
No....that was an old file that was already out there....when you are on an off shore island you don't throw anything away...and the vise lives there.......in an unheated out building about 10 feet from the Atlantic Ocean......rusty as it looks it works fine and for making the driver it was only used as an anvil.

I hammered and filed a narrow, flat blade onto the square end of a saw file.....only took a bout 5 minutes and I had a very good tuning driver without having to remember to bring another tool!!:cheers:
That's a great idea that I plan to rip off, but I'm curious how you managed to flatten the file. Usually files are heat-treated to be harder than the hammers of hell, but if you heated one to soften it, then that would ruin it as a file. (Or maybe not if you just heated the tang end of the file, now that I think about it.)
I guess I'll just have to give it a try.
I often forget the screwdriver, but I never forget the file, so this is a great idea. Thanks for the tip! :numberone:

That's a great idea that I plan to rip off, but I'm curious how you managed to flatten the file. Usually files are heat-treated to be harder than the hammers of hell, but if you heated one to soften it, then that would ruin it as a file. (Or maybe not if you just heated the tang end of the file, now that I think about it.)
I often forget the screwdriver, but I never forget the file, so this is a great idea. Thanks for the tip! :numberone:
Yep I just heated the square tip over the burner on the kitchen gas range for a few seconds. That file was already ruined and rusty but the same could be done to a brand new one with out affecting the temper of the rest of the file. Only have to heat a 1/4" or so of the tip.

I keep a tuning screw driving in my go bag and another on my bench. Tis a solution looking for a problem. I tune my saws once after being broken in, and then again to make it run better before capitulating and finally rebuilding the carb.

The tang on files is pretty much always annealed (soft) as it would be prone to snapping off if left as hard as the rest of the file.

Back