ID ON THIS PLANT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can you get a closer/higher resolution pic of the leaves?

I think it is sumac...but not poison sumac. Poison sumac has a smooth leaflet, with no serrations. You plant looks to have serrated leaflets. I think it also has too many leaflets. Don't touch it until we can rule that out though!

Staghorn sumac, very common in New England and throughout the northeast US. Its not really related to poison sumac. This stuff can spread like crazy. It can get to be a nuisance too if you let it grow as once its established its hard to get rid of. Pull it out and leave a root or two and it will grow back, and it grows very fast...

Staghorn sumac, very common in New England and throughout the northeast US. Its not really related to poison sumac. This stuff can spread like crazy. It can get to be a nuisance too if you let it grow as once its established its hard to get rid of. Pull it out and leave a root or two and it will grow back, and it grows very fast...

Thanks for the ID
Now I just need to figure out what I got into that gave me a rash. Maybe it was Poison Ivy

I was chopping line w a machete surveying and stabbed my forearm on a 10' tall sumac I had just cut, reaching out to cut one more of the "saplings" to get a sight on a property corner. We were working out of town in the foothills of N.C. We don't have any of PS were I live and I did not know what it was. 2 hours later I had a spatter of small black spots on my arm that could not be washed off and the small stab was raised and red and spreading.3 hrs I was at the ER. Red, itchy welts were popping up all over me and growing larger in minutes. It apparently had got into my bloodstream and spread.The doc told me the poison in the sumac makes the body produce more rashes. They gave me steroids,and epinephrine and I went back to the motel for a night of no sleep and severe itching all over my body. I swear I could see the rashes grow larger in minutes all over me.For 3 days my scalp, palms, armpits and feet and the welts itched very bad and hardly no sleep for those days/nights. I've had poison ivy many times and it was nothing like that. Poison Sumac is no joke.

Back